Damn, the itching's back.

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to have an itch on the back of my head, just behind the thinnning area but not on it. The skin was a bit flaky there, and there was quite a bit of that gross "build-up". (Don't know what you call it.) And of course, scratching it made more than a few hairs come out.

I started using Nizoral in early May, and after a month the problem was completely gone. However, ever since I started Fincar in June I have gotten a bit careless with the minoxidil, which I don't think ever did anything anyway. For the last month or so, for the first time I stopped altogether. No shed or anything, but I got anxious enough to buy it again two days ago and pick up where I left off.

Today, that itching came roaring back. And to my utter chagrin, the hard-to-resist scratching made a whole bunch of hairs come out.
I am very confused, and for two reasons. First, I never stopped using the Nizoral, which I thought had completely taken care of this problem. And second, the itching is not, and never has been, in the thinning area, which is the crown and front. It is just below the "part" in the back.

I don't get how stopping the minoxidil for a month could bring back this itch, when the itch is not even where the minoxidil is being applied. If I was itchy and flaky all over my top, then I'd say my skin was re-adjusting, but as it is I'm just puzzled and dismayed. Even when I first started minoxidil 1.5 years ago, I didn't have any real reaction, except very mild dandruff.

Does anyone have any idea what's goin' on?

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I've heard that minoxidil spreads beneath the scalp past the area where it is applied. Maybe this is causing the itch.
Are you using a conditioner? if not, I suggest you do. That may help with the inflamed area....Tricomin has helped me with the occasional minoxidil itch too.
Sorry if this isn't much help.

BHD

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't use a conditioner because I'm a total greaseball. I'd look like Oil Can Harry.

As an experiment I've started putting minoxidil on one temple, and now that temple itches and is a bit red, although there is no flaking. I don't get it. I never had much of a reaction everywhere else. Even now, on the top.

I wasn't going to mention this, but this is the first time I've used brand-name Rogaine instead of generic CVS minoxidil. Just because that's all the store had. I'd always thought there was no difference---now I'm kinda scratchin' my head. (ahem. Awful joke. I beg your pardon.)

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
Just when you think you've settled the question of brand-name/generic in your mind.

Plus side, the itching didn't come back today. I'm still holding my breath, though.

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

If your scalp itches and your hair is "a total greaseball", this may be a good time to try folligen...

avri