Daily Morning Wood And finasteride, Dht, Etc

mvalley

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to maintain daily morning wood while taking finasteride? I used to think it stopped due to the higher E2 induced by finasteride, but after running an experiment taking finasteride + arimidex, where I tanked my E2 and skyrocketed my T, I realize morning wood actually seems to be induced via DHT. If I stop finasteride, the wood comes back after 3-4 days.

I found a study supporting this:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11932266

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to maintain daily morning wood while taking finasteride? I used to think it stopped due to the higher E2 induced by finasteride, but after running an experiment taking finasteride + arimidex, where I tanked my E2 and skyrocketed my T, I realize morning wood actually seems to be induced via DHT. If I stop finasteride, the wood comes back after 3-4 days.

I found a study supporting this:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11932266

Did you get bloods to confirm your drop in E from taking arimidex ? If you tank your E you'll also kill your dick. Arimidex will only work if your sides are from raised E.

To answer your question though im on 1mg finasteride and i still get morning wood. However un known to me for a long time finasteride caused my prolactin to be 5x greater than upper baseline ! To combat this i take 0.25mg Cabergoline twice a week - cycled 6 months on 2 months off. If finasteride also has caused your prolactin to skyrocket then that will also kill your dick big time and give you ED.

mvalley

Reaction score
Yes, got bloods over many years. Just to clarify, taking finasteride stops my morning wood with or without arimidex. My experiment with arimidex was to see if I could combat some of the sides of finasteride (such as lack of morning wood) and it didn't work and in fact I started actually shedding (probably cause of low E2).

I also noticed that prolactin thing but the change wasn't as dramatic. Pre finasteride my prolactin was 11.8, with finasteride it was 14.0. finasteride+arimidex was 8.8. My E2 was below measurable range (sub 5) on arimidex.

What were your E2 numbers when your prolactin hit 5x?

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, got bloods over many years. Just to clarify, taking finasteride stops my morning wood with or without arimidex. My experiment with arimidex was to see if I could combat some of the sides of finasteride (such as lack of morning wood) and it didn't work and in fact I started actually shedding (probably cause of low E2).

I also noticed that prolactin thing but the change wasn't as dramatic. Pre finasteride my prolactin was 11.8, with finasteride it was 14.0. finasteride+arimidex was 8.8. My E2 was below measurable range (sub 5) on arimidex.

What were your E2 numbers when your prolactin hit 5x?

Wait your prolactin went to 8.8 when you used arimidex ? Also when you used Adex did your e2 levels stay within range (albeit low range I’m guessing) ?

When my prolactin was raised my E levels were 62% above baseline ! Can’t quite remember my numbers I’d have to dig them out but originally I was bottom of the natural range however that increase certainly triggered sides - I was even wondering if that’s why my prolactin shot up.

As for erections it may well just be low DHT in your case as the muscle contained being smooth muscle I believe is androgenically stimulated . I would imagine if your test was high enough though it would offset the decrease in DHT to at least have erectile function .

mvalley

Reaction score
I'm now doing arimidex without finasteride to do a comparison. I'll let you know how the e2 behaves once I get new bloods.

5x prolactin is insane. I assume they go back to normal without finasteride, correct?

Yeah I don't have any ED on finasteride, it's just the lack of morning wood thing. It's interesting that I thought it was E2 related but in fact it seems to be totally DHT dependent. My normal DHT is 35 and goes to 12 on finasteride. That's probably low enough to cause the morning wood problems.