Cutting Proscar In 10 Pieces Of ~0.5 Mg

Wanderer90

My Regimen
Reaction score
I currently cut proscar pills (5mg) in ten pieces with a knife( to obtain ~0.5 mg ).
But the actual obtained size varies between 0.4 - 0.65 mg because of the difficulties regarding cutting.
Do you think that the uneven dose ( 0.4 - 0.65 mg ) taken every day will create any issues( like hormonal fluctuations) ?

Thanks

Wanderer90

My Regimen
Reaction score
The account of drug is not evenly distributed throughout the pill. One of those pieces could have 0 mg while another has 1 mg. I wouldn't cut it into more than 4 pieces.
Do you have any sources for this ? I seriously doubt it because it wouldn't make any sense to put empty composite in any side of the pill without the active substance. And why cutting in 4 is safe ? On this logic , one cut can have 0.2 , another 3 mg or 4mg or even 5mg ?

Wanderer90

My Regimen
Reaction score

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
It took me two seconds to find this

This presents safety issues, especially when tablets have not been evaluated for splitting. After conducting internal research on the practice, the FDA expressed concerns over variations in tablet content, weight, disintegration or dissolution, and stability when split. All could easily impact whether or not patients receive the intended dose when dividing a single tablet.

Unequal halves. Even scored tablets can be difficult to split into 2 perfect halves, and medicine is sometimes distributed unevenly within a single tablet. The parts could look the same, but contain different amounts of active ingredient.
https://www.pharmacytimes.com/news/fda-takes-on-unsafe-pill-splitting

Wanderer90

My Regimen
Reaction score
The subject of the debate was the exaggeration that you could get 0 mg on a cut part . I'm not thinking that I will obtain perfect even parts , but with a variation.

Wanderer90

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can get 0 or virtually 0 mg from 1/10 of a tablet. If you think otherwise then then keep doing it since saving a couple bucks is so important to you.
It's not the topic of this debate why I choose to do that. You posted a link in which FDA says that cutting will give you uneven distribution of the active substance ( which I agree ) , but you jump to your conclusion to pseudo-virtually - 0 mg based on what ?

Wanderer90

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can get 0 or virtually 0 mg from 1/10 of a tablet. If you think otherwise then then keep doing it since saving a couple bucks is so important to you.
It's not the topic of this debate why I choose to do that. But you posted a link in which FDA says that cutting will give you uneven distribution of the active substance ( which I agree ) , but you jump to your conclusion to pseudo-virtually - 0 mg based on what ?

Wanderer90

My Regimen
Reaction score
You win friend. They painstakingly make certain that the drug is 100% evenly distributed through every pill. I could go dig up the data on what percentage of variance(I don't remember offhand) because I'm quite certain it's high enough that a TENTH of a pill could quite literally have zero active drug, but I frankly don't care enough because I don't make minimum wage so this isn't a concern for me. Have a nice day.

I've never heard of anyone cutting a pill in more than quarters lol
Keep on with the ad-hominem implying I'm making minimum wage :D and also implying that I said that my expectation is that the drug to be 100 % evenly distributed . It's a matter of logic ...

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Put it in blender :popp

whatintheworld

Reaction score
OP, to avoid this dilemma, get 1mg pills and split them in half. The probability is more in your favor you will get a more consistent dose.

I used to get 5mg pills and split them in quarters, but I realized this was just a pain, and I didn't mind paying a little extra for the regular 1mg pills. I had to plan with taking a pill cutter with me on trips, with a special container to store the pill parts, etc. It was just a hassle, plus I wanted to be more consistent with my 1mg daily dosage.

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Couldn’t OP dissolve the drug and part it to consume the same amount of actives every day? Just asking