Cutting Finasteride into quarter!! Becareful.

powersam

Reaction score
blakes30, put simply :

they mix all the ingredients of a batch of pills together in a massive tub, then press that mixture out into pills. there is no way for the ingredients to be unevenly distributed inside the pill. otherwise they could not say how much of the active ingredient was in each pill, which obviously they must be able to do.

what possible process could be used to make mass amounts of pills at a time that could ever have the ingredients unevenly distributed inside the pill while still having the same amount of active ingredient. make each one individually?

Martaveli

Reaction score
Cassin do you split it into .25% or .5%? I just started a week ago with .25% is this incorrect?

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal. You're getting about 5 mg over four days anyway you look at it in terms of splitting proscar, and finasteride's half-life, even though rather short, isn't that short. I.E. odds are you'll always be putting at least .25-.5 mg of active ingredient into your system each day, at the very least.

If you further consider that 1/4 of the generally perscribed finasteride dose only causes a slight degradation in benefits, there's virtually no condition by which (in the case of finasteride) pill-splitting should have any considerable hindering effects.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Far Too Young said:
Here's the deal. You're getting about 5 mg over four days anyway you look at it in terms of splitting proscar, and finasteride's half-life, even though rather short, isn't that short.

The half-life of finasteride has little to do with it, in this case. The slow production rate of the 5a-reductase type 2 enzyme is the important factor.

Bryan

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. Finasteride blocks the functioning of Alpha Reductatse and thereby hinders DHT production, correct? Or is it preventing the creation of AR?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hinders DHT production, yes.

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
By blocking AR. Why then would the slow-production of AR then affect the duration of the drug's efficacy? It would rather be a function of how quickly the inhibiting cofactor leaves the system, right?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't have anything to do with androgen receptors. Finasteride and dutasteride block the enzyme 5a-reductase, which produces DHT from testosterone.

The reason it takes so long (several days) for DHT to get back to "normal" after the last dose of finasteride is that the production of the 5a-reductase enzyme ITSELF is quite slow. It takes a while for new, "fresh" enzyme to be manufactured for DHT to start up again and rise back to normal levels. In other words, it's not so much the half-life of finasteride, it's more the slow production rate of the enzyme which it inhibits. Understand what I'm saying?

Bryan

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah yeah. I didn't realize that AR was being replaced that constantly. I thought that finasteride worked by a mechanism in which it inhibited the reaction facilitated by AR. Your implication is that it disables levels of existing AR. Makes enough sense. Thanks for clearing up.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
You keep using the term "AR", and I'm not sure what you mean. To avoid confusion among other readers (and myself), why not stick to the standard conventions? AR is always used to mean "androgen receptor". For the 5a-reductase enzyme, why not use 5a-R or maybe even 5AR?? Anything besides "AR", because that's extremely confusing.

Finasteride and dutasteride are both considered to be irreversible inhibitors of the 5a-reductase type 2 enzyme (but NOT the type 1 enzyme). When a molecule of either one of those drugs binds with a molecule of the type 2 enzyme, that molecule is effectively DESTROYED. It will likely never again be able to produce DHT. So when you wipe-out most of the type 2 enzyme by taking a dose of finasteride, you can't produce very much DHT again until your cells start to produce additional "fresh" enzyme from scratch. And the production of that type 2 enzyme is a relatively slow process. That's the big reason why it takes several days for DHT levels to rise again after you stop taking finasteride. The half-life of finasteride has relatively little to do with it.

I went through that again in slightly different words just to be sure that I made myself clear.

Bryan

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
^so even if u were on finasteride for several years Bryan, would the levels still go back to normal after those few days? or would it take EVEN longer as you have changed ur bodies dht for so long?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
It ought to go back to normal after those same few days. I don't know of any evidence to the contrary.

Bryan