Cutting 5mg tablet into 1/4 - Experiences?

plastictrees

Reaction score
Background: I have been taking Propecia (1mg finasteride) for over 3 years. My hair loss has stopped for the entire duration and I'm quite happy with the results. It costs me over $60/month.

Hearing rumors of a generic version of the pill, I called my Costco pharmacy for a refill on Propecia (1mg finasteride), and inquired about a generic version. She told me that no generic version exists in the U.S. yet, but that a generic of Proscar (5mg finasteride) does exist, and that several patients of hers get prescribed the 5mg pill from their doctor, and cut the pill into quarters, essentially creating 1.25mg pills.

All things the same, this should work just like the 1mg pill. Here's my dilemma:
I followed the pharmacists advice, and had my doctor prescribe the 5 mg pill. 30 pills (120 day supply, since I cut the pills into quarters) cost me $38. I have been taking this version of finasteride for 2 months now and have begun to experience rapid hair loss for the first time in over 3 years.

Has anyone else done this? Is this in my head, or is there some difference between the 2 forms? I would love to continue saving the money, but if this is why I am losing hair I will switch back to Propecia and pay the hefty premium. Please reply to this post if you have experience cutting the 5mg pill into quarters.

bubka

Reaction score
There has been quite a few reports of people who have switched and noticed a difference in hair fallout. Personally I think you are just more conscious and noticing the hair you lose more then you did previously and therefore a bit paranoid. As long are you cannot see a difference, picture comparisons work best, do not worry about counting hairs.

I kind of did the same thing when I switched. But I have been on 5mg / 4x for two years now and still going strong (over 8 years total).

I do suggest that you only split ONE pill at a time to avoid exposure to moisture.

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bubka said:
I do suggest that you only split ONE pill at a time to avoid exposure to moisture.

Yeah this is true. A lot of guys here that have reported loses in hair when switching from propecia to split proscar almost always do so because they prepare the whole bottle at the same time. Why does this happen? Humidity, sun light, air.. I don't know but it happens (even though the monkeys in the finasteride study were given powdered drug in fruits and yet they still responded). Just make sure you cut one pill at a time and keep it in a dry compartment.

Since I don't suffer from much sides and money is not an issue, I personally cut my proscar in thirds since I prefer to consume my pills within 48 hours. Most guys though, cut them to fourths and have no problems consuming within 72 hours.

plastictrees

Reaction score
bubka said:
There has been quite a few reports of people who have switched and noticed a difference in hair fallout. Personally I think you are just more conscious and noticing the hair you lose more then you did previously and therefore a bit paranoid.

This is not paranoia. It is clear and apparent. My pillow has hair all over it in the morning. It was clean prior to switching. Also, I wasn't even cognizant of the possible issue. It took me a few weeks to figure out what the issue was. It wasn't until just recently that I went... "oh yeah, I switched methods of receiving finasteride. I wonder if that's why my hair is falling out again?".

plastictrees

Reaction score
Nathaniel said:
bubka said:

Yeah this is true. A lot of guys here that have reported loses in hair when switching from propecia to split proscar almost always do so because they prepare the whole bottle at the same time. Why does this happen? Humidity, sun light, air.. I don't know but it happens (even though the monkeys in the finasteride study were given powdered drug in fruits and yet they still responded). Just make sure you cut one pill at a time and keep it in a dry compartment.

Since I don't suffer from much sides and money is not an issue, I personally cut my proscar in thirds since I prefer to consume my pills within 48 hours. Most guys though, cut them to fourths and have no problems consuming within 72 hours.

I will try that with the rest of this batch, but frankly I think I'm over it. Propecia's 1mg dosage worked so well that it's worth the money to go back.

Cali

Reaction score
Well, you were on 1mg per day, and you increased your dosage to 1.25mg (more or less) per day. Is it possible that the increase of finasteride in your system has caused the hairs you had hanging on to shed faster than expected? Certainly. Or is it possible that you happened to make the switch when your hairs were cycled out and due for replacement anyway? Of course.

If you feel better with the Merck script, knock yourself out and more power to you.

But all of you wisnuts that believe that there is any chemical difference between a 1mg Propecia pill and a quartered Proscar pill - other than the pure dosage of finasteride - are out of your f-ing minds.

bubka

Reaction score
plastictrees said:
This is not paranoia. It is clear and apparent. My pillow has hair all over it in the morning. It was clean prior to switching. Also, I wasn't even cognizant of the possible issue. It took me a few weeks to figure out what the issue was. It wasn't until just recently that I went... "oh yeah, I switched methods of receiving finasteride. I wonder if that's why my hair is falling out again?".
Well give it some time and see how it goes?

Are you splitting each pill as you go, or did you split them all at once?

sidekick96

Reaction score
Hey Plastictrees,

i've been having the same problems as you, please see: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47668&p=455371&hilit=finpecia#p455371

i also noticed rapid hairloss when switching to the generic version of finasteride, Fincar bought at Inhouse pharmacy. according to what people have been saying here, i should cut them a pill at a time rather then all at once, ill finish my current batch of 30, (up to 8th pill now). and try to update you on the remaining months. if all goes wel and this is just a "shedding" phase then ill stick to this generic version, if i dont see any improvements then im giong back to my prescribed meds. it hurts... i know.

GL