Cut Propecia Pills

citizen_insane

Reaction score
Hey guys, I couldn't find any info on this discussed already, but I hope it isn't a daft question.

I take 0.5 mg Propecia each day, which I cut as needed, one pill at a time. I take one half of the pill, then return the other half to the blister pack and cover as best I can, put back in the box, then in my drawer. I am just wondering what effect (if any) exposing the finasteride to oxygen or light has, and the effectiveness of swallowing a part of a pill where the protective outer film has been broken.

I'm not taking about dosage here, it has been well documented that 0.5 mg of Finasteride daily has impressively similar results to 1 mg per day. Is there any chance that a cut pill segment could be any less effective do to oxygen exposure, light exposure, or metabolised in a different way internally due to the outer film not being intact? I know that some medications have to be swallowed whole because the active constituents can be inhibited be enzymes in saliva, or broken down too quickly in the stomach, meaning less is usefully absorbed.

Anybody know anything about that? I have been considering just necking the 1mg pill daily, but am reluctant partly for cost reasons, and partly not wanting to increase the risk of sides.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oxygen and light do effect the pills yes, but having a cut pill exposed to the humidity of your drawer could have also have a detrimental effect. Would you not buy a pill container

http://pdxrecycler.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/pill-bottle.jpg

That's where I store my cut pills. Airtight, just to be safe.

EDIT: When you said drawer, for some reason I pictured you stuffing your pills in your sock drawer, where it would be warm .... :eek:opsblush: I suppose they'd be alright in an empty drawer, either way, get a pill container.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I just store my cut segments in the airtight plastic containers that earplugs come in

only a doctor or pharmaceutical expert would be able to say for sure if cutting the pills cause them to lose their efficacy. But many men seem to have success using cut 5mg tablets

citizen_insane

Reaction score
Cheers guys, I will store any cut pieces in an airtight container to be safe. I'm thinking of alternating my daily doses between 1 mg and 0.5 mg, at least until more generics are available this autumn, which should drive down the Merck prices too.

otis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I couldn't find any info on this discussed already, but I hope it isn't a daft question.

I take 0.5 mg Propecia each day, which I cut as needed, one pill at a time. I take one half of the pill, then return the other half to the blister pack and cover as best I can, put back in the box, then in my drawer. I am just wondering what effect (if any) exposing the finasteride to oxygen or light has, and the effectiveness of swallowing a part of a pill where the protective outer film has been broken.

I'm not taking about dosage here, it has been well documented that 0.5 mg of Finasteride daily has impressively similar results to 1 mg per day. Is there any chance that a cut pill segment could be any less effective do to oxygen exposure, light exposure, or metabolised in a different way internally due to the outer film not being intact? I know that some medications have to be swallowed whole because the active constituents can be inhibited be enzymes in saliva, or broken down too quickly in the stomach, meaning less is usefully absorbed.

Anybody know anything about that? I have been considering just necking the 1mg pill daily, but am reluctant partly for cost reasons, and partly not wanting to increase the risk of sides.

You are cutting it into four pieces its only four day and would not go bad in four days