currently using dutasteride & minoxidil, what would increase gro

rickbull83

Reaction score
Hi there,

Have been using Avodart and minoxidil for about 7 months now. Have witnessed some regrowth, nothing spectacular. Just about to start using rogain foam as i've read many good reviews on here about it and alternate it with Kirkland Minoxidil 5%.

I currently use regain's pre-gain shampoo. Would i see any benefits if i changed too Nizoral shampoo.

Also i have heard that nioxin can be useful but i can't find it being mentioned on here. Is there a reason for this? Is it a gimik or does it work?

Any thoughts, opionions and reccomendations would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Rick

Riotact

Reaction score
:)
rickbull83, I can't really comment on the Avodart portion of your post, as I use rogaine and propecia. How are you using the avodart? I know some people are mixing it in their minoxidil, while others take it orally. I have never found many posts supporting the topical use of it though. I wish it did work because a topical antiandrogen without systemic side effects would be great.

As to your question about Nioxin. I use Nioxin's shampoo and conditioner. Many years ago (before I was balding) I was conned by my hair stylist to try them to make my very fine hair more caliber. As everyone will tell you, Shampoo and conditioners can not help with hair loss. These products also did not convert my fine hair to nice course hair. The benefit is that it is really good shampoo and conditioner. Love the smell, hair feels softer when I use it. Also, need a lot less of it to get the same amount of lather when compared to other shampoos, so even though it is expensive, it lasts longer than most other shampoos.

Nioxin does offer a "scalp treatment" that claims to help with hair loss. I have posted questions about this on this forum and others, and no one has responded. I also emailed nioxin to ask when it should be used in relation to application of rogaine, again, no response. I doubt that it works. My new hairstylist (new one), applied it to my head, made it tingle and a little red. She claimed this was a sign it works. Don't fall for that. most medicated hair products (and snake oils), employ the use of methanol to make your head tingle. To my knowledge, that is all that menthol does, make your scalp tingle, nothing more. The one thing that I think is interesting about the product is that it includes a sunscreen. With all the talk of fibrosis as a factor in male pattern baldness, I am sure sun damage may also play a role in scalp fibrosis. That being said, it is pretty expensive if all it really is is a sunscreen. If I was using retin-a in my topicals I might consider it more because retin a increases your skins sensitivity to sun.

You will probably not see many posts on nioxin on the forums. Other than posts to talk bad about the shampoos' (which again, are just nice shampoos, not hair growth systems), I have not found that people here like to talk about it much. Good luck with your regimen, hopes this helps some.

Pondle

Reaction score
Nizoral is useful, use it twice a week. Revita is another alternative, this would be a straight swap for your regular shampoo.

You could add some other topicals - copper peptides (Folligen, Tricomin), an anti-androgen (Revivogen, Crinagen, Spironolactone cream) or an anti-oxidant (Prox-N, Nanogaine). You could upgrade from Rogaine to one of the very high strength Xandrox formulations.

I really can't think of anything else that you could do. Your regimen is already pretty powerful! :)

Sean68

Reaction score
the apple poly topical seems to do something. not been on it for long enough
to see any growth but it thickens your hair like minoxidil and gives you that 'bristly' kind of effect at where you apply it but its not as greasy. ive been
using it in the mornings with minoxidil recently.