Current hairline. 90s kid and officially old at 30.

DeterioratingWolf

My Regimen
Reaction score
it's been awhile since I posted here. not sure how long exactly but this is my hairline at officially 30.

concerns?

Attachments

• IMG_20210611_071802.jpg
    IMG_20210611_071802.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You have receded temples and your temple peaks seem to be gone, although I cannot tell for sure due to this being a single frontal picture. Looks like a Norwood 2 with some thinning at the front to me. Might be a good time to start taking finasteride if there is a history of baldness in your family and you want to be safe.

DeterioratingWolf

My Regimen
Reaction score
thank you for the answer.

two more. side shots for right and left.

only my grandpa is a NW7.

cousins, uncles and my biological father all clocked in at around Norwood 1 and 2 max.

not all family members are known however.

i also am told by a local barber I have "pretty good thickness". not sure if it's a compliment or not.

IMG_20210612_050947.jpg
IMG_20210612_050911.jpg

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You may want to get a scalp biopsy to be sure if you can, but I'd take a custom dose of finasteride (1 mg thrice a week or 0.5 mg daily) as prevention. Your front seems to be thinning and your temple peaks are gone. I was in a better situation than yours and this video convinced me to start taking finasteride:

It really depends on what you're comfortable with though. It might be useful to just take pictures every six months or so to check your hair situation and keep an eye on how many strands of hair you lose regularly. Just keep in mind that prevention is always easier than treating damage.

DeterioratingWolf

My Regimen
Reaction score
You may want to get a scalp biopsy to be sure if you can, but I'd take a custom dose of finasteride (1 mg thrice a week or 0.5 mg daily) as prevention. Your front seems to be thinning and your temple peaks are gone. I was in a better situation than yours and this video convinced me to start taking finasteride:

It really depends on what you're comfortable with though. It might be useful to just take pictures every six months or so to check your hair situation and keep an eye on how many strands of hair you lose regularly. Just keep in mind that prevention is always easier than treating damage.
Kinda looks like a widows peak.

@NickyA are scalp biopsies covered by medical coverage via a dermatologist or is that gonna have to be out of pocket?

as for that dosage of finasteride. sounds like a smaller dose than the normal person who needs it. any reason for that?

that's a concern if you started a customized low dose finasteride and your situation is better than mine. it means I should be doing something now regardless of method.

is my situation salvageable? was wondering if this is a natural mature hairline or somewhere between a NW2 and 3?

@Diffused_confidence "Kinda"? is there some irregularities to it?

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@NickyA are scalp biopsies covered by medical coverage via a dermatologist or is that gonna have to be out of pocket?

as for that dosage of finasteride. sounds like a smaller dose than the normal person who needs it. any reason for that?

that's a concern if you started a customized low dose finasteride and your situation is better than mine. it means I should be doing something now regardless of method.

is my situation salvageable? was wondering if this is a natural mature hairline or somewhere between a NW2 and 3?

@Diffused_confidence "Kinda"? is there some irregularities to it?

Couldn't tell you about scalp biopsies, I'm not american. They're out of pocket and hard to get in my country.

The doctors recommend that dosage because they've said that in the 15+ years they've been running their practice they have yet to meet any patient who went to them and suffered side effects with that dosage. They also support the theory that 5-alpha-reductase 2 (The enzyme inhibited by finasteride) in the scalp takes longer to resynthezise than serum 5-alpha-reductase (The one that is measured when you get a blood test, since scalp DHT would be hard to measure).Thus, it isn't necessary for many patients to take 1 mg of finasteride every day, and some are taking too much and end up having side effects. It's all in the video. They start patients with that dosage (1 mg thrice a week) and titrate upwards (Up the dosage slowly) if that dosage isn't enough to halt hair loss in a couple months or the patient has a history of more aggressive hair loss in his family.

I think that you should be alright if you start treament soon (Less than 3 years or so). Keep in mind that it can take between six to ten months to see results (Stopping hair loss, maybe some thickening) with finasteride, and up to two months with Minoxidil 5%. Whether you will maintain on that alone is unknown, but you should have pretty good odds according to your family history. It's always easier to prevent than to fix damage.

I wouldn't call that a mature hairline. I'd call it that if it was a uniform hairline with some temple loss (A uniformly dense NW2, so to speak). Yours look like a NW2 with some thinning at the front (Sign that it might progress in the future if left untreated) and your temple peaks are gone too, there isn't just some temple loss.

Definitely get a scalp biopsy if you are unsure.