Crapola's Story

crapola24

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have to say, this site is great. At the very least, I know I am not alone in this. I am 24 and noticed I was shedding hairs sometime last year, I dont remember exactly when. I had long hair at the time, 10-12 inches, and it was curly, wavy and thick. I chalked the hairs falling out in the shower to normal loss and breakage, as there were really not that many. Everything seemed fine, and as of 5/04 I was still getting comments on what great hair I had when I was getting it washed before a trim. Last summer was pretty bad for me, my family moved, I got my heart broken, and my dog got killed. After the whole girl incident I shaved my head, kinda to shock my system, shake things up and generally help me move on. Boy have I been regretting that move ever since. I should say I never had a great hairline, and I did notice a bit of receeding, but didn't really think much of it. Since I got my head shaved in 7/04 my hair has become noticeably thinner. Especially in the front. I have a couple birth marks at the edge of my hairline that I have been keeping an eye on so I know it has not moved back much, if at all. But, I never remember being able to see so much scalp. My hair now is about 4-6 inches long. It is still kinda wavy, but now I have a noticable part in the middle and I am losing LOTS of hairs in the shower and while styling. And these hairs are coming out all over. I mean, I can grab a handful of hairs from the back, near my neck, on pretty much every pull. Is this normal, even for male pattern baldness, I mean even Terry Bradshaw has hair back there. I went to my derm last week and he said the top looked a little thinner but the sides and back were still very thick. I pulled a few hairs out for him and he said since they had a little white ball at the end they were not male pattern baldness hairs. He said there was no way to tell how bad my hair would or could get. He said he would prescribe Propecia if I wanted but was hesitant to start someone my age on it because I would have to take it forever. He also had me get some bloodwork done. As of today I am awaiting the results from the blood work. Once they are in he said we would talk and I could get the propecia if I wanted. I guess I should mention that as for Family History, no one in my immediate family has severe baldness. My dad and uncle look like they have never lost a hair in their lives. My dad's dad rocks a combover, but he is 81, and even the combover is pretty thick. Plus my dad said he didnt start thinning till his 50's. On my mom's side, her dad is 75 and has a widows peak and slight bald spot, but still a good amount of hair. My uncles have high hairlines and are just starting to show a bit of a bald spot in their 50's. It seems entirely possible that I have male pattern baldness, but I would not have expected it to happen this early or severely given my family history. I wish the derm would have had some concrete answers for me. I guess I have rambled on enough. Since I anticipate starting a regimen soon involving at least Propecia, I figured I would post now. I also have pics, but am unsure of how to post them. Any suggestions? Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

I guess I should add that I was recently diagnosed with clinical depression, and will be starting on Zoloft soon. Does depression have any effect on hair loss?

alkcb

Reaction score
If you take them on a computer, you probably have JPEG's. If you take them on a camera phone, just email them to yourself and you'll have the JPEG's. Then just use a free image hosting service like ImageShack.

ImageShack even provides you with auto thumbnails and the correct forum syntax to post on phpBB boards like HairlossTalk.

As for the hair, man I'm totally feeling you, and when I really noticed the other day how bad it was (I got a mirror to aim behind me at an angle so I could see with a double reflection), I was like OMFG and started freaking and of course got on the internet. I love how the internet can blow things way out of proportion.

It was great to find this site and it seems like a real support group. I felt physically sick the other day after that, like literally affecting my physically. I even called in sick to work, I felt so bad.

Even if nothing works, I'll feel better since I'm posting on this site, and I know there are tons of other people in the same situation as me, even as young as me.

I just started finasteride less than a month ago, and I'll be adding nizoral, and maybe minoxidil (pending some questions I posted in my story).

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
hltalkcb said:
It was great to find this site and it seems like a real support group. I felt physically sick the other day after that, like literally affecting my physically. I even called in sick to work, I felt so bad.

I've been there too. I nearly blacked out one night (I believe this was an anxiety attack), fell on my bed and just went to sleep. I woke up a few hours later, like around 11:30PM and was up all night trying to deal with a flood of emotions, basically everything other than anger.

Mental health is an important aspect of hairloss, IMO. A message board like this helps A TON, but you also have to realize that people come here because they are particularly worried or have had poor experiences with meds. There can be an excess of negativity, but some rational thought will level things.

crapola24

Reaction score
Well, got the call from the Derm's office today. Said my blood looked normal, so there goes that. I guess it is male pattern baldness then. Still don't know why the hell I would be losing so many hairs from the back/neck area of my head though. Anyway, going back to see the derm on the 16th and talk treatment. Gonna get on Propecia and hope that it does not make things worse. I guess I'll pick up some nizoral as well. Do you need a Rx do get that stuff, or can you just get it at rite-aid? I have read all this stuff saying that you go bald because hairs dont grow back, not because they fall out any faster, but then I come on here and everyone talks about massive amounts of shedding, even before treatment, so all I have to ask is, is this stuff on all these medical sites complete BS? Seems that way. Anway, thanks for the support. I will try to get some pics up.

crapola24

Reaction score
WEll, here's some pics, all from the last month or so

Top Dry

Back Dry

Front Wet

Back/Top Wet

Sides

The worst ones I have

Well,I guess that is a pretty good photo record for now. They were taken no flash in the bathroom under some harsh lights. Let me know what you think and thanks again. I would be curious to know if anyone had a similar loss pattern and if finasteride and nizoral worked at all for them.

**Now that I have posted these, I realize how blurry they are, sorry about that. It's really hard not to shake the camera when you are holding it at such wierd angles. Close encounters of the blurred kind. If they are useless I'll take them down.**

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i think we are in a semi similar stage, you may have a bit more recession, but you're hair looks like mine when its wet/dry. propecia seems to be working for me, but its a slow process.

crapola24

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Trent. I see that you had no sides from Propeica, that's good to know. Did you need an Rx to get your nizoral shampoo, where did you get it and is it 1% or 2%. Also,what is that shampoo you use on the off days?

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i use nizoral 1% just cause i can buy it in the store without a Rx. semodex is a shampoo i got from a friend, no different than most shampoos, i just like how it makes my hair feel, and it has saw palmetto which blocks DHT supposedly, so maybe its doing something, who knows.

crapola24

Reaction score
Hey all,

How do I change the name of my thread so people know pics are included? Also, anyone else have any insight into my particular loss pattern. Just wondering since my derm was really not helpful. T-minus 2 weeks till I get on Propecia. Also have to say that anyone seriously depressed about their hairloss (or anything else) should get to a shrink if they have the means. I have been on meds for about a week now and while you won't forget about the sh*t that is buggin you (ie your hair) you will not dwell on it either. If I pass a mirror now I might think my hair looks like sh*t, but then I stop thinking about it. Really makes a world of difference.

Telephone Man

Reaction score
It really sucks when the loss starts, we have all been there. I was in college when my older brother, who has a full head of hair starting giving me s*** about losing it!!!

It stabilized in my late 20's until late 30's went from a NW3 to a 5A in 4 years!!!! At 40 got the hair transplant, went on Propecia and now it is great!!!

My advise to you is to get to a hair transplant Doctor who is reputable in your area if you do not know then ask on this forum and you will get a lot of good recomendations, do not use the yellow pages or go the the large hair mills MHR-Bosley. You want a Doctor who will let you know whats up and what to expect.

Good Luck
TMAN

The DJ Guy

Reaction score
Look C24,
I would die to have the hair you've got in those photos, then again, you're probably used to nice thick 20-something yr old hair. Don't worry for now, believe me a much longer road lies ahead of you in male pattern baldness.

I lost my hair very gradually (no panic) from 26-35. It's finally stopped...at a NW6, sheesh...can't go down much from here:) Anyway, the silver lining is that there's been TREMENDOUS advances in hair transplant's if you're looking for a permanent fix. Don't stress out, just keep studying the issue privately on these forums and you will become an expert in no time and will know what you have to do. After you add up the big $ it takes to use all the solutions out there (Min, Rog, Nizv, etc) you may want to consider a small Follicular Multiplication (FM) hair transplant treatment for openers, one that's not noticeable and will NEVER beceme noticeable because of NO SCARRING. I wish it was there 8-10 years ago when I needed it the first time I received a STRIP type hair transplant, yikes don't do that! With FM, you can return to work in 2 days after the treatment with little to no pain after surgery. I'm a good healer, but I had -0- pain after the surgery and actually fell asleep during the surgery (normal) due to the comfort level of the facility and care. And get this, NO PAIN MEDICATION or anastesia was given to me except for local anastesia to the treatment area...now THAT's HI-TECH! Anyway, I'm trying to reach as many distressed guys as I can out there before they make desperate moves in the wrong direction and go to the low-tech butchers still doing work out there (STRIP or SCALP Reductions, etc). Go to my story on this Forum under DJ GUY w/Follicular Multiplication if you want to know more. I am available for personal (albeit short) discussion should you want someone to talk to for an opinion, ok. I work full time as an Engineer for the US Govt, but always have time for a friend in need.

Don't forget, you're still pretty blessed with hair judging from your photos, but if you want to make a gradual change in your appearance so that the hair transplant is almost transparent to your friends, then contact me, I'll be more than happy to rap with you.

The DJ GUY

crapola24

Reaction score
Thanks for the info DJ. I know that I am still pretty well off with the hair that I have now and I meant no disrespect to ayone whose male pattern baldness has progressed farther than mine. The fact remains though that it is falling out and is definitely thinner than it was a year ago. That said, I will hold off on considering any hair transplant surgery until I see how I react to the finasteride and nizoral combo. And even if those don't work for me, I would probably wait till the hair got a bit worse before considering a hair transplant. But, I appreciate the info and who knows how bad this might get in the coming months/years so I will keep it in mind. Take care.

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
crapola24 said:
Hi All,
I pulled a few hairs out for him and he said since they had a little white ball at the end they were not male pattern baldness hairs. He said there was no way to tell how bad my hair would or could get.

Can anyone who knows better than me confirm that this is BS from the part of the doctor? As far as I know all hairs falling due to male pattern baldness do have the white bulb, which only indicated that the hair did not break but did indeed fall?

New to the forum, and haven't visited a doctor yet to confirm whether I have male pattern baldness. I have seen increased hair fall in the last 6 months all with 'white bulb' (about to post my 'story' to this board).

Thanks!

dan65

Reaction score
All I can say is that I do have the beginning stages of male pattern baldness and a lot of the hairs do have a white bulb on the end. I don't know the significance of the bulb or not, but it sounds like you are right where I am, at the beginning stages of male pattern baldness.

crapola24

Reaction score
OK so I saw my derm again and he said he wanted me to wait 6 months before starting Propecia as he callled my condition "ambigous" and wanted to see if it leveled off now that I am on anti-depressants. I don't know how to feel about this. I have felt way better lately, mainly because of the meds I am on, so I have not been worrying about my hair so much, and actually think it looks good sometimes. But I definitely am still shedding a lot and it still looks like crap when it is wet. I am not entirely opposed to waiting six months to start finasteride as I am pretty worried about side effects. The Doctor said at the worst case I would lose 10% of my hair a year with no treatment. Has anyone ever heard this before? This guy is supposedly one of the best derms in the city and came highly reccomended, so I probably should believe him, but I don't want my condition to get worse.

Also, I went to the pharmacy looking for nizoral shampoo and couldn't find it. What exactly is it called? It isn't T-Gel is it?

Petchsky

Reaction score
Don't make the mistake of waiting, you will only regret it. I know when someone is thinning and you are, unfortunately. You can tell, especially on this wet hair pics and you have receeded a little. Start now...Your derm sounds okay, a lot better than most, and most know f*** all about hairloss.

In my time posting on this board i have seen so many posters say they 'wished they started when they first noticed' or 'i went to see my dermatologist and he said it's just a mature hairline' etc etc

You still have a very good head of hair and i'm sure if you leave it 6 months you won't lose that much but you do appear to be in the very early stages of male pattern baldness and it don't get no better.

crapola24

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I am going to get on Propecia this year, no doubt about it. I doubt I will wait the six months my derm recommended. I would like to start using the Nizoral shampoo now though, but I dont know what it is called or what it looks like. Can anyone help me out. Is it dandruff shampoo, T-gel?