Countering the finasteride. libido loss.

melbwest

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've just started finasteride about a week ago. So far no pain, perhaps a little foggy at times but that could be the result of working and studying at all hours.

I'd like to know if any of you have a way of countering any of the libidinal sides that finasteride can have(other than stopping it). I mean, lack of sex drive, erection problems, ejaculate problems. I have not, as yet, had any but i'd like to be able to deal with them if they come up. Any tips ranging from diet, to supps or other pharmaceuticals would be appreciated.

cheers

westy

melbwest

Reaction score
sorry, i just realised this should be in the sides forum. silly newbie. mods please move if need be.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
They really should make a question like this a sticky. Here we go.

Supplements to take to counter loss of sex drive or difficulty getting it up.

Mucuna Pruriens, Maca Root, Arginine, Cabaser, Horny Goat Weed, ALC, Zinc, Tribulus, Yohimbe, Damiana.

Out of all the ones above, I'd say the following combo works great.
1. Mucuna Pruriens - lowers prolactin which makes your sex drive higher. Also helps you get it up.
2. Maca Root - heightens sexual response, but through different methods than lowering prolactin.
3. Arginine - precursor to nitric oxide, which allows you to get an errection.

If the combo above doesn't work, try taking Cabaser. It's only available in the US with a prescription, but you can obtain from overseas without one. Drastically lowers prolactin levels. I've read many users reports and almost all said it made them want sex 24/7. Men talked about how with a high enough dosage, they could have multiple orgasms...And have no refractory time between sexual sessions.

Cabaser also can be used by women...Hint, hint married guys. :D

You also may want to try out Yohimbe. It's a vasodilator (increases blood flow to extremities). Basically, it's mild v****.

melbwest

Reaction score
thanks

Thank you sir...will start my research on getting these things asap.

Any Australians know where to get any of the above mentioned products?

melbwest

Reaction score

Well, my libido some seem a little suppressed now(one week into finasteride). So im going to start on the L-Arginine and a herbal supplement(skeptical about it).

Any idea how long L-Arginine takes to work? Does it need to build up in the system?

Also, the Cabaser, does that work if prolactin is not the cause of libido loss?
Or to frame the question another way, does finasteride cause prolactin to be created/upped and thus put a dampner on the libido?

--
thanks guys

Felk

Reaction score
In regards to L-Arginine you will find this very useful, one of the many informative posts by the very knowledge Mr Bryan Shelton...

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... 9&start=10

Bryan said:
drinkrum said:
What sort of regime do you suggest, Mr. Shelton? 2 weeks on and 1 week off?

I think there's an important issue here that's being overlooked, and that is: what is the specific PURPOSE for which a person is going to take supplementary arginine?? That specific purpose would have a strong effect on how I would answer your question. For example, you might take arginine for its libido-enhancing effects, as Viperfish mentioned; or you could take it as a GH-releaser; or you could take it as a nitric oxide precursor, hoping that it will help your hair; or as an anti-glycation agent, as Pearson & Shaw recommend. And there may be other reasons to use it, too. HOW MUCH and HOW OFTEN you use it is going to depend on those specific reasons.

If you're using it for the libido-enhancing effect, you're going to have to face the probability that it's going to fade away if you use it regularly, so I personally would use it only on as AS-NEEDED basis. In other words, save it for that hot date that you've arranged for the weekend, or some similar occasion when you know you'll be able to put it to good use! :wink:

If you take it as a GH-releaser, that's a really difficult decision to make. I personally would use it three times a week, like on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and even then maybe take a full week off once a month or once every other month. We desparately need more research on the issue of GH release!!

If you're taking it just as a nitric oxide precursor or as an anti-glycation agent, then I would take a SMALL amount every day, like maybe a couple hundred milligrams two or three time a day, or somewhere along those lines. That very likely will have no effect at all on either libido or GH, but that's not the PURPOSE for using it in this case.

Bryan

melbwest

Reaction score
Harie,

Have you tried all of those items you posted about?

Which worked best?

Also for others interested there is a commercial form of cabergoline available called Dostinex. You can buy it online at http://www.buy-dostinex.com

their claims are pretty wild: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1949087.stm

I tried to get this through an online pharmacy but they asked for a prescription and i didnt know how to get one to them. I havent bought any yet, but may do.
---

Quick personal update: libido is coming back a little (taking l-arginine, zinc and an herbal 'enhancer'...just noticed for the first time a significant decrease in ejaculate which is disconcerting. Is this one of the sides that is likely to stick around or will it go away??

melbwest

Reaction score
bad news folks

The sides got worse and worse...libido dead, headaches, foggy brain, i feel like my penis and testes have shrunk and now my load is less and not watery but smaller in volume...even witha .5 and .25 dose...i have finals at university now...cant be having a foggy brain. I know most of you will tell me to ride it out but I will break for a while at least and see what the summer brings. Might give it another shot. I didnt shed at all but nor did i stopp any loss.

can anyone tell me how long it should take to go back to normal for mos of these sides? im aware that for some folk it never goes bac to normal but ive only been on it for 2 weeks so i'd not expect to be forever effected.

What are my options now? I thinkI will try a topical dht inhibitor (revivogen) and keep using AC revitalise.

I'm currently a norwood 2 or 2.5 so all is not lost yet![/b]

melbwest

Reaction score
Sexual sides are fading fairly quick.

I dont feel foggy anymore and no concentration/irritability issues.

I am determined to find something that works for me guys so It may be that when summer comes and Uni finals are done I might try finasteride on a lower dose again and see if i can ride them out for a while!

oh the humanity