Could this really be happening?

wombat

Reaction score
I've got a receeding hairline, dunno what on Norwood. Still fairly thick apart from that (but not as thick as it used to be!). I've been using finasteride (Proscar / 4) for about 3 or 4 months now, and Minoxidil 5% for a couple of weeks.

I let my hair grow a bit (is usually shaved) to see. Well, I'm not sure if it's new regrowth or just old hairs that haven't fallen out yet (never paid attention before) but I have a few "stray" black hairs growing around my old hairline. Encouraging, if it is new growth that is.

The weird thing is, I reckon there's a number of black hairs that are growing lower than my hairline was originally! There's only a handful, but it's still kind of weird.

Maybe they were there before and I just never noticed them. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like that?

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
It's normal to get a few wild hairs from using rogaine...just pluck them...they usually go away. People who take minoxidil interally in the from of lonitin can grow these wild hairs all over their body.

The Gardener

Reaction score
YG_UK, the use of minoxidil as a hair regrowth treatment was somewhat of a surprise. Lonitin, or oral minoxidil, was used as a blood pressure medication as it has vasodilatory properties. After people were on it for a while, they discovered that, as a side effect, they started growing hair! Thus, after more research, they derived Rogaine.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
if it had vasodilatory properties, does this suggest circulation has anything to do with the balding process? or was totally unrelated to the working of minoxidil?

is oral minoxidil still available? how much did it affect the head in contrast with the topical version, and how often did it affect body hair count?