Could Oral cetirizine be efficient for hairloss?

goulou

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello.
Topical cetirizine had been quite a subject but I can't see a single post about oral cetirizine.

Has anyone had any experience with oral cetirizine?

I am currently using 10mg a day for allergy but sometimes wonder about trying 20mg oral far hairloss...

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have met people who used it for their entire lives but they went bald regardless

whitecoatblackhat

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use it topically, and it seems mildly effective, but I need to apply around 100mg a day.

Have you noticed any systemic absorption from the topical cetirizine?

By this, I mean the typical cetirizine (H1 antagonist) systemic side effects like sleepiness, being tired, etc.

Its MW is 388 daltons, hence I assume it will go systemic to a certain extent.

Also, have you noticed actual regrowth from it or only maintenance?

And do you use alcohol as a vehicle/permeation enhancer or do you use only water?

I'm currently formulating a topical cetirizne cream that will be water-based, without alcohol as I've heard that for some "mysterious" reason the alcohol might diminish its effectiveness.

But I honestly doubt that.

Thank you

constrictedvoid

Established Member
Reaction score
Have you noticed any systemic absorption from the topical cetirizine?

By this, I mean the typical cetirizine (H1 antagonist) systemic side effects like sleepiness, being tired, etc.

Its MW is 388 daltons, hence I assume it will go systemic to a certain extent.

Also, have you noticed actual regrowth from it or only maintenance?

And do you use alcohol as a vehicle/permeation enhancer or do you use only water?

I'm currently formulating a topical cetirizne cream that will be water-based, without alcohol as I've heard that for some "mysterious" reason the alcohol might diminish its effectiveness.

But I honestly doubt that.

Thank you
I noticed feeling a bit off when I used 100mg, nothing at 50mg. I use 50mg dissolved in water twice a day. I think it goes systemic to a degree but I don't notice negatives, maybe it's not a huge fraction. No regrowth, just a reduction in daily hairs lost and itch. I think it is a pretty weak treatment, but has at least some efficacy. Might be synergistic with something anti-androgenic.

whitecoatblackhat

My Regimen
Reaction score
I noticed feeling a bit off when I used 100mg, nothing at 50mg. I use 50mg dissolved in water twice a day. I think it goes systemic to a degree but I don't notice negatives, maybe it's not a huge fraction. No regrowth, just a reduction in daily hairs lost and itch. I think it is a pretty weak treatment, but has at least some efficacy. Might be synergistic with something anti-androgenic.
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, 100mg is quite the dose. But I guess in order to truly see how effective it is you need to push its limits.

The important thing is that you haven't had a shed and you didn't lose any ground once you've added cetirizine, right?

Because I've read anecdotes on this forum claiming that ceti actually increases shedding.

Which I find peculiar because ceti is both a PGD2 antagonist and a PGE2 agonist and it shouldn't halt hair growth in a similar way that Aspirin does.

I will most likely try it out soon once I pinpoint the cream formula.

And yeah, ceti surely is weak as monotherapy but combined with other effective treatments it might be a good adjunct.

Thanks for the info!