Could I Kill 2 Birds With 1 Stone????

dustinb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys
I had an FUE of 2500 in the crown and some in the temples.
Im at the 2 month mark and have been on Finasteride for the last 3 months. I plan to stay on finasteride long term at 1.25mg daily. I wasnt on Minoxidil but want to start it at least once a day to start out. Should I wait for a year of so for the transplanted hair to completely or almost completely come through or start minoxidil right now soon after my transplant?
I figured if i shed from the transplant then would taking minoxidil just cause 1 total shedding phase since it would be simultanious with the transplant shed? If i start later im assuming i would have a minoxidil shed.
Id rather go through the shedding phase once..or am I wrong on this?
Thanks

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are not gonna go through the shedding phase only once, minoxidil is making your hair cycles irregular by keeping the hair more in anagen phase, but because it's uneven distribution all over the scalp, not all the hair is gonna have the same cycles, so, you will have different cycles for different parts of your scalp. I saw people saying that at a couple of months maybe a year or so you will have a big shed that will be followed by a big growth phase, it's more complex than just putting it on your head, having a shed and after only regrowth.

Now regarding the transplant, i have read somewhere that it's actually very good to use it right after the transplant so that your native hair won't get starved out of blood because of the transplanted hair and that a lot of people who have done this did not suffer from that shock loss that most transplants give. From my understanding and available information, that shock loss is a product of the new hair implanted follicles that are starving the head of blood at first when they are implanted.

But i'm not a doctor and maybe you should also ask your transplant doctor or maybe one that has a little bit of knowledge on it, and maybe do some research online also, you will find more info about it.

dustinb

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are not gonna go through the shedding phase only once, minoxidil is making your hair cycles irregular by keeping the hair more in anagen phase, but because it's uneven distribution all over the scalp, not all the hair is gonna have the same cycles, so, you will have different cycles for different parts of your scalp. I saw people saying that at a couple of months maybe a year or so you will have a big shed that will be followed by a big growth phase, it's more complex than just putting it on your head, having a shed and after only regrowth.

Now regarding the transplant, i have read somewhere that it's actually very good to use it right after the transplant so that your native hair won't get starved out of blood because of the transplanted hair and that a lot of people who have done this did not suffer from that shock loss that most transplants give. From my understanding and available information, that shock loss is a product of the new hair implanted follicles that are starving the head of blood at first when they are implanted.

But i'm not a doctor and maybe you should also ask your transplant doctor or maybe one that has a little bit of knowledge on it, and maybe do some research online also, you will find more info about it.

Thanks for the reply..i did ask my doctor but i think he said 2 weeks to start minoxidil.
Another thing is..you get different answers even from different expert doctors so its hard to know exactly.
Bu right after do you mean weeks after or directly after..like the same week? Thx

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply..i did ask my doctor but i think he said 2 weeks to start minoxidil.
Another thing is..you get different answers even from different expert doctors so its hard to know exactly.
Bu right after do you mean weeks after or directly after..like the same week? Thx

No, as your doctor said, 2 weeks or even more after the transplants, it should heal and when everything is back to normal and your head is healed you can start it... And yeah, it's frustrating, there is a lot of contradictory information because nobody knows exactly everything, it sucks but it is what it is...

Now you need also to be one of the lucky ones on which minoxidil works on, one of those 40% of people that responded to the medicine in the studies, if you don't respond to it it's just a waste of time and money but yea, you could at least give it a try and see if it helps, at least with the possibility of the shock loss, that's if minoxidil works and everything works good with your transplant also of course...

Last edited:

dustinb

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, as your doctor said, 2 weeks or even more after the transplants, it should heal and when everything is back to normal and your head is healed you can start it... And yeah, it's frustrating, there is a lot of contradictory information because nobody knows exactly everything, it sucks but it is what it is...

Now you need also to be one of the lucky ones on which minoxidil works on, one of those 40% of people that responded to the medicine in the studies, if you don't respond to it it's just a waste of time and money but yea, you could at least give it a try and see if it helps, at least with the possibility of the shock loss, that's if minoxidil works and everything works good with your transplant also of course...

Thx for your advice again!
Just wondering....is the first shed from a transplant and/or minoxidil the most severe and the following sheds would be less in strength?
Since your hair would have that initial shock from a transplant/minoxidil
Thx

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thx for your advice again!
Just wondering....is the first shed from a transplant and/or minoxidil the most severe and the following sheds would be less in strength?
Since your hair would have that initial shock from a transplant/minoxidil
Thx

Nobody can answer that unfortunately, i think it depends on every individual, how the hair cycles are synced, how much hair is affected by the minoxidil and how much hair will fall because of the shock loss... Nobody can answer it you will just have to try if you want and see for yourself. From what i saw others saying regarding the minoxidil shed is that is starts with a rather big one followed by maybe minor ones from now and then and after followed by a big one maybe once a year or at a couple of hair cycles, but the information is vague and nobody can know exactly how everybody will respond, so yeah, even if it's not the answer you would like to hear, it's just the way it is...

But as i said, the shed is a shed but it sucks more if you don't respond to the medicine that's where the real problem is, if you are not in that 40% group of responders, you could end up with the shed and no actual benefit from it, it's tricky and unfortunately the only way to find out is to actually try it..

dustinb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nobody can answer that unfortunately, i think it depends on every individual, how the hair cycles are synced, how much hair is affected by the minoxidil and how much hair will fall because of the shock loss... Nobody can answer it you will just have to try if you want and see for yourself. From what i saw others saying regarding the minoxidil shed is that is starts with a rather big one followed by maybe minor ones from now and then and after followed by a big one maybe once a year or at a couple of hair cycles, but the information is vague and nobody can know exactly how everybody will respond, so yeah, even if it's not the answer you would like to hear, it's just the way it is...

But as i said, the shed is a shed but it sucks more if you don't respond to the medicine that's where the real problem is, if you are not in that 40% group of responders, you could end up with the shed and no actual benefit from it, it's tricky and unfortunately the only way to find out is to actually try it..

Thanks for your input..yes I know nothing is certain..just in general.
If I dont fall in the 40% of seeing results and have a shed with no results, would that shedded hair grow back?
Thanks so much!

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your input..yes I know nothing is certain..just in general.
If I dont fall in the 40% of seeing results and have a shed with no results, would that shedded hair grow back?
Thanks so much!

Theoretically yes but it's not 100%, but i won't think it's gonna be a problem for you. In advanced cases of hairloss when the hair is so miniaturized that is almost not able to grow anymore, if you put minoxidil on it, it could make it shed and won't come back if you stop the medicine or if you don't respond to it, that hair was almost gone and minoxidil only made it fall faster and because it didn't work it won't be able to make it grow into terminal again...

It's more complex but as i said, from my experience it could happen only in advanced cases of hairloss when the damage to the hair is to big and minoxidil does not work properly. There are still a lot of things that we don't know and we need more understanding of the work mechanism behind minoxidil to answer them, but unfortunately it will take more time

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys
I had an FUE of 2500 in the crown and some in the temples.
Im at the 2 month mark and have been on Finasteride for the last 3 months. I plan to stay on finasteride long term at 1.25mg daily. I wasnt on Minoxidil but want to start it at least once a day to start out. Should I wait for a year of so for the transplanted hair to completely or almost completely come through or start minoxidil right now soon after my transplant?
I figured if i shed from the transplant then would taking minoxidil just cause 1 total shedding phase since it would be simultanious with the transplant shed? If i start later im assuming i would have a minoxidil shed.
Id rather go through the shedding phase once..or am I wrong on this?
Thanks
Who did you go with for the FUE?