Communal Office Balding

Thisstinks

Reaction score
I'm new here, but the information has been really helpful. My story: I'm 27 and noticed my thinning about two or three months ago. Since then, it has progressed very rapidly. My hairline on the sides has receeded about an inch in a month or two. The hair upfront has thinned massively, and I'm seeing diffuse thinning everywhere on top. I can now see lines in bright lights. I'm not noticing any change on the lower end of the vertex below my callick.

Here's my question though. I work in an office with a lot of young people. We moved buildings about three or four months ago. Since that time, I've noticed a lot of the guys my age also have hair loss. I'm thinking maybe I'm just looking for any consolation, so I'm noticing it more. But, I was just at a table with five guys roughly my age. And, three of us had hair loss in pretty much the same pattern. Has anyone ever heard of something in an environment causing hair loss? It's not falling out in clumps and it looks like male pattern baldness, but I'm wondering how so many young guys can get hit exactly the same way in such a short time. I'm noticing it all around the office.

I'm going to a dermatologist in three days, but I thought I'd solicit opinions here as well. I'm a little worried the Doctor will be too quick to dismiss it and just offer a prescription, which I already have.

Thanks.

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've noticed all but one of the 6 guys I live with have hair loss at 21-23. Made me wonder. I don't see how its possible though. Plus its all different patterns.

Thisstinks

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm thinking it's just a coincidence, but I didn't know if there could be a contagious fungus or something that can cause hair loss. Wishful thinking probably...

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Thisstinks said:
Yeah, I'm thinking it's just a coincidence, but I didn't know if there could be a contagious fungus or something that can cause hair loss. Wishful thinking probably...

AKA. Fungus Monkus?

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That is possible, but most likely it would be a type of infection that you would have other symptoms of, for instance, irritated scalp, pustules, irregular patterns. Might as well see a doctor and get a test. A few years ago my scalp broke out and it turned out to be a weird bacteria. I think I got it from a used motorcycle helmet I bought. They put me on antibiotics and a scalp lotion for a few weeks and my scalp/hair were significantly improved.

G

You don't happen to work at a Nuclear Power plant by any chance?

drago

Reaction score
Since they say the male pattern baldness gene is pasted from either side, mother or father, doesnt that mean every generation could potentially have as much as twice the number of balding men? I dont know, but I am 28 and it seems like almost every guy I know my age as some degree of male pattern baldness.