Coming up 5 months on finasteride, considering quitting

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Coming up 5 months on finasteride and took it to stabilise my hair. I had mild receding hairline with small amount of diffussion behind when I started the finasteride. Now my hairline is gone and what left at the front is diffuse back to mid scalp, its awful.

My crown was solid when I started and still is.

My libido has been very high since taking finasteride and suggests testosterone is high. Often tired though. I'm only taking 0.25mg per day in eves.

I thinking of giving up as I am concerned its all negatives from the finasteride and whilst riding it out all this time it get worse daily and I think its just damaging my hair. I never expected this...everyone says it should at least maintain or limit loss wheras my loss has been massive.

Should I quit and cut my losses and see if things improve naturaly and just keep on vitamin supps and soy etc.

I was thinking of HM but my loss is so rapid if I went for it I would need another op only months down the line. Praying for HM...

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i'd stick with it, i really don't think many people see any results from finasteride in 5 months. and finasteride won't cause your hair to fall out, it obviously just hasn't gotten a handle on it yet. why not add minoxidil?

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
Why exactly are you taking 0.25mg of finasteride?

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have done minoxidil on and off using Spectral DNC but cos I colour my hair it strips the colour and I don't want to dye it too regularly so I decided to rely on the finasteride only at this time.

I take 0.25Mb finasteride because the tiredness side was so severe, I was like a zombie in the day on 1Mg and even when at 0.5 it was still not good. I did keep on 1Mg for 2 months until I could take it no more. 0.25mg is a much as I can take while still feeling normal..

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're expecting from taking 0.25mg finasteride. I guess it could be slowing down the process to some degree. If you don't want to take mino and you're getting too many side effects from finasteride, you may want to look at other avenues - like avodart or spironolactone. You may need to really stay with it for a year to see any stablization. Just food for thought.

I highly doubt vitamins and soy alone will do anything. Iron and maybe zinc would help, but only if you have a deficiency. If you're taking GNC vitamins with DHEA, it may cause even more problems. If you're taking large amounts of vitamin A, you could see hair loss.

In all, you could just stick out the 0.25mg/day, move to another drug, or start embracing baldness.

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yeah, 0.25mg should help but if u really wanna attack it, try 1mg. however, 0.25mg should still help u a bit at the beginning. if after 5 months, you're still not having any success, maybe u should consider dutasteride or accept your hairloss. however, finasteride will still reduce the rate of your hairloss considerably, even if your hair loss seems to be getting worse. lastly, it could just be a shed and hopefully things could improve in a few months.

my advice: go on 1mg until you've done a year on finasteride. if things are still bad, look into dutasteride (but research the side effects too), good luck!

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i would pump it up to 1 mg... and if you start minoxidil again stay on it.. dont be jumping on and off the minoxidil.. it can be a reason for some hairloss..
GL