Coming to Terms With my Heartbeat

harey

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've noticed for a long time now that I've been a bit short of breath. It doesn't help that I smoke cigarettes and pot every day.

Even though I can practically dunk a basketball at 5'10" and throw a baseball about 80 mph even though I only weight 148 lbs., I have recently given up on the cigarettes and weed.

Thing is, I don't really have chest pains per se, but I do have an stronger heartbeat, and not strong in a good way.

Is there an alternative to minoxidil. that does the same thing? I don't think there is. spironolactone and folligen mimic finasteride., no?

Anyway, sometimes I apply it once a day, sometimes twice, but a lot of times, today, for example, when i get scared that the treatments aren't doing anything 11 months in, I'll put on a fresh batch of minoxidil. as soon as the first batch has dried.

And like many others, I'm sure I'm really putting on 1.5 each time.

Is there anyone who had the problems i'm having, even when applying to a dry scalp, and then switched to one legitmate dose (or even .5) per day, and the heart sh*t went away?

I haven't seen propecia close my quarter-sized bald spot, and I can't tell if the minoxidil has thickened things up, because it was already pretty thick, though i can definitely see through the front on the first few inches.

But i do have increased body hair, so it's got to be doing something.

I just want to still use minoxidil., even in some capacity, because i don't think the finasteride. is nearly as effective without it -- even if it's just to maintain.

but if there's a minoxidil alternative, let me know.

thanks.

also, i recently saw something about how dutasteride. inhibits 90-something % the first year, than a little higher in two and three. i wouldn't be against trying it, but i'm just scared that it'll lose its effectiveness, and then i'll have nothing to turn to.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Neither finasteride nor dutasteride lose their effectiveness with time. They continue to block DHT at the same rate as before.

D.

harey

Established Member
Reaction score
that's right; i'm sorry. from what everyone says, your follicles are just more susceptible, etc.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the popular word is that after 5 years, finasteride loses it's effectiveness. Is this just a myth because it's sounds scientific or something?

harey

Established Member
Reaction score
wangho, don't take this the wrong way, but i'm asking a question about having a heart attack, and i've noticed of late, people ask questions for which the answer has been given a million times.

i joined this site about a year ago, don't post that often, but the key is, I (and most other people) read the previous posts.

asking elementary questions really used to piss the veteran posters off, and now i see why. there's nothing wrong with it (in theory), but when you go off on a tangent on someone else's post, it's just a little frustrating.

but to answer your question, no, it's not a freaking old wives tale, or anything along those lines. some people maintain longer, but it seems lots of people exp. thinning at 5 years or so.

G

harey said:
wangho, don't take this the wrong way, but i'm asking a question about having a heart attack, and i've noticed of late, people ask questions for which the answer has been given a million times.

i joined this site about a year ago, don't post that often, but the key is, I (and most other people) read the previous posts.

asking elementary questions really used to piss the veteran posters off, and now i see why. there's nothing wrong with it (in theory), but when you go off on a tangent on someone else's post, it's just a little frustrating.

but to answer your question, no, it's not a freaking old wives tale, or anything along those lines. some people maintain longer, but it seems lots of people exp. thinning at 5 years or so.

Newbies seem to ride roughshod over this forum. I think people should only be allowed to post after they've read the 'Before Posting' guide and been quizzed on it.

As for the heartbeat, the only things I can recomend is perhaps use a smaller quantity? And make sure your scalp and hair are DRY AS A BONE.

Melbs

Established Member
Reaction score
I had that heartbeat cranking when i used to use minoxidil... scared the sh*t out of me too... dont know what your best option is... mine was to stop using it... there were other factors, like it made me depressed having to look and analyse my hair every day, like seriously depressed about myself, greasy hair, twice a day application for ever!, the inconvenience etc etc... its up to you mate, while i regret stopping to a degree... i know how much using it was concerning me... heartbeat being one of them...

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
hairschmair:

you are kidding right? I've never been gifted with explosive leg power, but when I was about 5'7, 135 pounds in 9th grade I could touch the rim (have never dunked, not then, not now). I am sure I cannot touch the rim now, at 180/5'9, but I am always surprised when people are surprised by something like what the guy wrote.

to be 5'10, 148 pounds and be able to touch the rim is pretty standard for a moderately athletic guy. No offense to the original poster. He probably would agree.

Not sure why I am posting on it, just surprised...have seen similar posts on bench presses over the years in various forums...

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the funny thing is that im not so much a newbie any more, it's just that the same questions get asked over and over and different answers seem to be given out over and over. Didnt mean to try and hijack your thread though..

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
I wasn't kidding!

5ft10 who can actually dunk is very impressive in my book.

I know some professional basketball players can do it, but I have not come across someone in real life who's done it, and i've probably played with over 100 people that height or shorter during my lifetime.

formercurly

Reaction score
That is impressive. I'm 1/4" short of 5' 9" since I was 14 and in 11th grade was able to hang on the rim and dunk a volleyball.

Anyway, harey how old are you? You seem pretty young to have heart problems. Maybe it's just the stress of losing your hair or something.

Pirate Commander F.B.

Established Member
Reaction score
Harey

I also had the same side effects from minoxidil. I remember nearly blacking out after carrying my groceries up to my appartment, and splitting headaches that would last for days sometimes. These side effects went away very quickly after stopping the minoxidil. I don't know what would have happened if I went on using it though, even on a lower dose. Like Melbs said I think the risk is too high. I would like to use it, but the risk of heart disease is too scary.

harey

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone.

and wangho, i didn't mean to be a dick about it. i just got a little frustrated, that's all.

actually, i'm pretty impresed with my jumping abilities at 5'10"...people always say that it's easier to jump if you're skinny (or do pull-ups, for example), but they never take into account that you have less muscle mass to do sh*t with.

anyway, i don't play ball, but i rarely meet people (i'm 28) at any age, be it in h.s. or whatever who could jump high, unless they were legitimate athletes. but whatever.

i find it more impressive that guys who are usually skinny or fat often have more ability with sports than guys with great bodies. many of those guys just work out, and that's all they're good for. i've met some kids at the park who are gangly, awkward-looking motherfuckers who can play basketball and baseball like you wouldn't believe.

anyway, it seems some peopel have a reaction to the minoxidil. i'm not blacking out or feeling dizzy or anything, but i'm definitely experiencing a rapid heartbeat.

not cool.

i'm gonig to try it once a day, with a strict 1 ML, and if that doesn't work, .5 ML. if there's still anything there, i'll stop, and in a few years if finasteride. doesn't work or runs out its effectiveness, i'll try dutasteride.

i'm actually looking forward to that day, because blocking both types of DHT crap or whatever sounds promising. i'm just afraid i'll be a non-responder, or it's f*** up my skin. i have zits from the proscar as it is.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Finasteride doesn't lose its effectiveness. It continues to do its job ... forever. People can (and do) experience thinning after years on finasteride, but this is due to the balding process and its natural progression/acceleration. For instance, the follicles might become more sensitive to DHT, etc.

D.