Coloring A Faded System, Need Some Tips

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Well, I decided to help someone out and dye his system back to the original color.

It did NOT go well.

The system was a custom, but the closest color would be a #4. It faded at least 2-3 shades lighter.

It's also a bit, ahem, TRASHED (dry). Used L'Oreal DiaRichesse #5 (just to be safe) with a 9 volume developer.

OK, so I left it on a bit TOO long (application + 20), and it went to a #2. Next unit, just as faded, five minutes total same results, #2.

My stylist/mentor said try a strand for 1-2 mins, and if that works, do the system in sections (it's longish hair).

Anyone want to share their coloring experiences ahem @Noah?

BTW, when I did other systems using lighter shades (8-9) range, no problems like this.

Thanks,

Steve

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used standard hair dye to get my faded system back to black. I was advised to leave it on for half the recommended time (for normal hair) and it worked fine.

Odd that your system faded rather than went darker!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's a client who spends lots of time in the hot, direct Mediterranean sun. All three of his systems have faded rather quickly.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's a client who spends lots of time in the hot, direct Mediterranean sun. All three of his systems have faded rather quickly.
It's a shame, my system is dark blond. I bought back2natural a few times which is only available in Ash tones. When mine fade they tend to take on a green tone as they lose red. Using back2natural just adds more green to it. It's really a shame.

I've had the best luck so far with DP hue but it's fairly expensive at $35 for 6.5 ounces and I might be able to use it three four times.....

BJM

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've only ever used back to natural on faded hair and always found it very good but I believe it's limited in the colours on offer