Clinical trial for a topical - roxithromycin

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Check out http://www.clinicaltrial.gov and do a search for alopecia. There a new listing (first time I saw it) on this topical.

Study began in May 2005, and slated to finish Phase I in 2007. Not sure if this is the expected completion date for just Phase I, or the entire study.

What I find hopeful is the implication that this drug has been used for another condition, much like our good friend Finasteride.

pleasegodno

Established Member
Reaction score
pretty cool. i'll research this more. it would revolutionize male pattern baldness treatments if it worked, turning focus to the autoimmune/inflammatory aspect.

pleasegodno

Established Member
Reaction score
i remember now running into this article long ago:

J Dermatol Sci. 2004 Nov;36(2):97-101. Related Articles, Links

Modulation of androgen receptor transcriptional activity by anti-acne reagents.

Inui S, Nakao T, Itami S.

Department of Dermatology, Course of Molecular Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, Osaka, 2-2, C5, Yamada-oka, Suita-shi, Osaka 565-0871, Japan. inui@derma.med.osaka-u.ac.jp

BACKGROUND: To study the potential anti-androgenic activity of roxithromycin (RXM), we previously used human dermal fibroblasts transiently transfected with the expression vector of androgen receptor (AR) coactivator ARA55 as the in vitro model reflecting the end-organ hypersensitivity. OBJECTIVE: To examine the potential anti-androgenic activity of anti-acne therapeutic agents, nadifloxacin (NDFX), RXM, all-trans retinoic acid (atRA), and glycolic acid (GA), we carried out the transient transfection assays using the CV-1 cells as a more sensitive assay system. RESULTS: The result showed that 5 microg/ml of RXM suppress 10(-9)M R1881-induced AR transcriptional activity by 21.2%. 50 microg/ml of NDFX can suppress AR transcriptional activity to 29.8%. Furthermore, the assays with treatment of 1, 5, 10, or 50 microg/ml NDFX in the presence of 1 microg/ml RXM showed that 5, 10, or 50 microg/ml NDFX inhibits the AR transactivity by 32.7, 31.1 or 61.0%, respectively, indicating the synergistic effect of NDFX and RXM. Besides 10(-5)M atRA suppressed the R1881-induced luciferase activity by 50%, but GA did not alter AR transactivity. CONCLUSIONS: We demonstrated that anti-acne agents available in the clinical practice can exert anti-androgenic effects in the treatment of acne.

it seems roxithromycin could have many beneficial effects, such as this AR transcription suppression, as well as inhibiting varioius cytokines (notably TNF), nf-kb/ap-1, neutrophil extravasation and subsequent superoxide and MMP-9 release.

Chujgcha

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What do you say I acquire some of this roxithromycin and rub it onto my head and report back to you fellas Jan 2006 not freakin June 2007? I'm pumped!

pleasegodno

Established Member
Reaction score
it's probably beneficial for maintenance, but i doubt it has much potential for regrowth; so, don't get pumped. but, sh*t, i don't object to experimentation if you're serious.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would like to hear comments from others, such as HairLossTalk.com on this matter. Because this is a real clinical trial. Usually people don't go this route unless they are serious.

I believe HairLossTalk.com, along with other hair loss vets, would rightly state that they've seen things come and go. But I wonder if that pertains to things that have been submitted into an actual clinical trial. (?)

I'm excited about this too. I just like the idea of learning SOMETHING, ANYTHING related to hair loss.

ghostdog

Reaction score
If this works it'd be great as long as there is absolutely zero systemic absorbtion, my liver is very sensitive to mycin oral drugs and I woudl probably end up in hospital.

Chujgcha

Experienced Member
Reaction score
About every 4 months my scalp itches and mildly burns for a week or two. I lose hair big time during this period. I wonder if rubbing this roxithromysinkin for only a period of 1-2 weeks would inhibit the bizarre local autoimmune response and save my hair. During the 1-2 weeks, I will take extra doses of Lecithin w/Choline to protect the liver.

Who will give me half of their liver if this fails?

oni

Reaction score
You can have a whole liver just tell me the blood type and I will see what I can do! :wink:

DP

Reaction score
About every 4 months my scalp itches and mildly burns for a week or two. I lose hair big time during this period. I wonder if rubbing this roxithromysinkin for only a period of 1-2 weeks would inhibit the bizarre local autoimmune response and save my hair. During the 1-2 weeks, I will take extra doses of Lecithin w/Choline to protect the liver.

Chujgcha -

I'm going through this 1-2 week itching/mild burning period myself. This certainly isn't the first time it happened to me. I've been on propecia for a little over 9 months now, and it probably happened to me twice since. I remember once before I started it also. What is happening exactly? I asked my dermatologist about this once and he kind of laughed at me because he thought it was all in my head. Is it a shedding period? Does it mean propecia hasn't really stopped my hair loss? I'm not really counting the hairs that fall out - it's a good amount of discomfort. It would be pretty weird if you can actually feel your hair falling out. Anybody else get this before?

Chujgcha

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DP said:
Chujgcha said:

Chujgcha -

I'm going through this 1-2 week itching/mild burning period myself. This certainly isn't the first time it happened to me. I've been on propecia for a little over 9 months now, and it probably happened to me twice since. I remember once before I started it also. What is happening exactly? I asked my dermatologist about this once and he kind of laughed at me because he thought it was all in my head. Is it a shedding period? Does it mean propecia hasn't really stopped my hair loss? I'm not really counting the hairs that fall out - it's a good amount of discomfort. It would be pretty weird if you can actually feel your hair falling out. Anybody else get this before?

I added folligen about a month ago and the itching and burning subsided. Not sure if the folligen did the trick. I'll know in a couple months.