Ciclopiroxolamine vs. ketoconazole study

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's an interesting study I found:

Abstract The aim of this study was to determine the in vitro fungicidal and growth inhibitory activity of ciclopirox olamine alone (1% and 1.5%) or in association with 1% zinc pyrithione compared to 2% ketoconazole, against Malassezia species particularly involved in the pathogenesis of seborrheic dermatitis. Experiments were performed on Malassezia globosa IP 2387.96 and M. restricta IP 2392.96 strains. Growth inhibitory activity of the active compounds in solution was evaluated by measuring minimal inhibitory concentrations using a broth micro-method and their fungicidal activity by a filtration method after contact times between solutions and yeasts ranging from 3–5 to 30 min. Concerning the determination of minimal inhibitory concentration of ciclopirox olamine/zinc pyrithione, it revealed the marked synergistic inhibitory effect of the association, leading to a higher efficacy compared to ketoconazole. As to the fungicidal activity of ciclopirox olamine, it significantly increased with the contact time. After 15–30 min of contact between 1.5% ciclopirox olamine and Malassezia strains, a 2-log reduction of Malassezia counts was observed. The 1.5% ciclopirox olamine/1% zinc pyrithione association was characterized by a steady fungicidal efficacy whereas the 2% ketoconazole solution did not express any fungicidal effect. In conclusion, this study demonstrates the in vitro inhibitory and fungicidal efficacy of the ciclopirox olamine/zinc pyrithione association against Malassezia species and underscores its potential interest in the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/w7705j0184x25874/

I'm currently using a shampoo which contains both ciclopiroxolamine and zinc pyrithione. I guess I should leave it on for at least 15 mins, seems to be more effective that way.

Here's an another one:

Ciclopiroxolamine (CPO) and Zinc Pirythione (ZP) antifungals are efficient at treating scalp seborrheic dermatitis.This multicentre, single-blind, clinical study was conducted to evaluate the efficacy of a shampoo containing the 1.5% CPO/1% ZP association compared to the vehicle shampoo and to 2% ketoconazole foaming gel in the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis.In 189 patients randomised to apply 1 of the 3 products twice a week for 28 days, the global lesional score, erythema, pruritus, global efficacy, quality of life (SF12 and DLQI questionnaires) and tolerance were measured at 0, 7, 14 and 28 days.The 3 products reduced lesional score, erythema and pruritus from day 7 (p < 0.0001). The 2 antifungal treatments were significantly more efficient than the vehicle in reducing lesional score, erythema and pruritus at day 14 (p < 0.0001). At day 7, the CPO/ZP shampoo was more efficient in reducing pruritus than ketoconazole gel and vehicle (p = 0.032 and p < 0.001, respectively). The global efficacy of the 2 antifungal treatments assessed at day 28 by both investigator and patient was significantly better than that of the vehicle. Only the CPO/ZP shampoo improved all DLQI questionnaire dimensions.The CPO/ZP shampoo was as rapid and efficient as ketoconazole gel in SD treatment.

http://www.druglib.com/abstract/lo/lore ... 60900.html

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh yah, yesterday I tried leaving the ciclopiroxolamine shampoo on for 15-20 minutes before rinsing off. Now scalp feels pretty itchy and inflamed... so great. The war is lost, nothing works for me.

Sean68

Reaction score
yeah i think i know that feeling. update your regimen man are you still on the big three?

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Big 3 minus nizoral, which doesn't really work for me. spironolactone cream was my latest addition, but I found it's such a b**ch to apply that I might aswell forget it. The stuff is way too thick.

Sean68

Reaction score
just know youre doing what you can then. spironolactone might help your hairline you know. im gonna get back on it i think. pretty cheap as well.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sean68 said:
just know youre doing what you can then. spironolactone might help your hairline you know. im gonna get back on it i think. pretty cheap as well.

Yeah it sometimes feels like these treatments are one big scam... it's so unfair that they work for some and not at all for the others :mrgreen: . I just wish I had a nicer headshape and would be a bit bigger physically, it would be so much easier to swallow this.

Sean68

Reaction score
ghg said:
Sean68 said:

Yeah it sometimes feels like these treatments are one big scam... it's so unfair that they work for some and not at all for the others :mrgreen: . I just wish I had a nicer headshape and would be a bit bigger physically, it would be so much easier to swallow this.

most of them are! id be halfway to a hair transplant now - ok some of the way if id just stuck with the big three but you need to find out for yourself i suppose.