Chronic Telogen Effluvium/Reflex Hyperandrogenicity to Full Head of Hair

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Firstly, please check my past threads as I was using ADC's oral finasteride for over 1 and a half years and had sides but the worst was the chronic Telogen Effluvium hair loss (debatable if RH) so starting 1.5 Norwood (pre oral finasteride) to Norwood 4 (post oral finasteride). I ignored the sides and progressed on oral finasteride for this long as I thought the common Telogen Effluvium would subside along with the other sides. I decreased dosage and frequency then to switching to topical finasteride to no avail.

After, I tried topical RU, fluridil and duta. I was balding badly which I posted pictures on discord but deleted them as I was self-conscious.

It took over a year for chronic Telogen Effluvium to subside. I was on verge of Norwood 5 and decided to give oral finasteride another shot as I had nothing to lose but this time not using finasteride from overseas but a reputable domestic one (not sure if this is contributing factor to the different outcome). April 2023 will be my one-year anniversary mark on this oral finasteride (taking 1mg per M/W/F) and my hair is nearing Norwood 1. I am ecstatic about my results as I was contemplating SMP to hair transplant but no longer.

Disclaimer: I don't think this amounted much to my result but I do use these once a week: topical duta/min/RA, topical fluridil, keto shampoo sit on scalp 30 mins, red light therapy (most of these are not on the same day). I use topical finasteride/min on Tues. & Thursday. I'm lazy with derma stamp (Derminator 2) but probably do this twice a month or less. Also, I am unfortunate ones with sides from oral finasteride but most sides subsided like Telogen Effluvium and brain fog but a lasting side which is a reasonable trade-off for me, as I have a full head of hair now, is my semen quality/amount is poor and not like it used to be.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I want to emphasize the point of this thread is to help out those who are suffering from chronic Telogen Effluvium caused by finasteride; that it will eventually subside. People say give finasteride a year but it took me much longer.

Chronic Tronic

My Regimen
Reaction score
antiandrogens effect on scalp is really weird/inconsistent. I started taking topical finasteride in 2020 and after 6 months i went from a NW4 to nearly a NW1. and it stayed that way for about 2 years until i started shedding again, but i still continued with the normal regime despite the shedding. last year it got so bad i had to shave my head and realized my hairloss was worse than ever before! also i had developed severe itching and burning on my scalp which was now covered in acne and scabs and peeling (i guess i wasn't washing my hair enough with all the sticky topicals i was using). I switched to oral finasteride for a month and only topical minoxidil and was sure to wash my hair every day, and that cleared up my scalp problems real quick. I switched back to topical finasteride + minoxidil still washing 2x per day and now i'm adding RU into the mix (it worked well before to jumpstart hair regrowth, but i stopped taking it after a short time because it was expensive). I've now been on that regime for 6 months and i don't notice any hair regrowth aside from a few new transparent fuzzies, but at least the shedding has stopped. I lost a lot of ground and it still looks worse than ever before.

EDIT: also i microneedle with a dermapen but i'm not sure how much it helps. i use 1.5mm gauge every 1-4 weeks except when i was having scalp problems

Last edited:

wannamyhairback

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so would you say that this time you havent had RH because you are not using as frequently as you were compared to the first time? also correct me if I am wrong you basically use minoxidil only thrice a week which is in topical dutasteride and finasteride formulation ?