Changing My Diet Has Greatly Affected My Hormones

SueSue

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am 58, female. I have been losing my hair slowly for the last five years or so, it's much thinner, wider part, especially in back and my scalp has started showing all over. It's been a year since my last period. I have been getting more and more course hairs on my chin.
I assumed this was all hormone related and age related, but started looking at other women my age and I am not seeing many with thin hair like mine, so I kept wondering - why me?
I admit that I had a terrible diet, I weighed about 230lbs, and even though I spent a lot of time on the internet searching for info on hair loss, for some reason I never put it together that my diet affected my hormones to this extent. I ate a lot of sugar, carbs and fat and apparently all of those can cause hair loss.
I kept wanting to change my diet, but I didn't really know how, or what to eat. I saw the same doctor on a couple of random older TV shows within the same week and I was tired of coming home and cooking for my husband who got home first, so I decided to change my diet. One of my big issues with dieting was that I couldnt control my cravings. This doctor explained that when your body gets all of the nutrients it needs, you wont have those cravings.
I began eating healthy foods loosely based on a nutritarian diet, modified to meet my needs. I wasn't even thinking about this affecting my hormones, I just wanted to lose weight.
About 2 weeks in I was losing hair like crazy and the chin hair was worse than ever. I almost quit my healthy eating plan. That's when I researched it and read that your fat also controls your hormones, so that is why it was going wacko. I read that it could take 3 months to regulate them. Weeks 2 to 6 were the worst for my hair, but I lost a lot of weight.
Now at 3 months and one week, my chin hair is almost gone! I no longer need chapstick every ten minutes.
I went from shaving my female mustache twice a week to once every 2 weeks. My hair isn't falling out any more. I am excitedly waiting to see if it will be growing back, I can only assume it will. I am down to 196 and losing about 2 lbs a week. I have no cravings for sugar and only eat a little carbs.
I just wish I had known sooner that all the crappy food I was eating previously was directly affecting my hair loss. Anyone can google nutritarian diet to see what I am eating. It's really easy. I sneak spinach leaves into about everthing I eat, spinach leaves are cheap and don't have a lot of flavor, but so good for you. You can also google andi food scores to get the gist of the diet plan. Any how, I just hopes this help someone else too!