Caspase-1 Level Is Higher in the Scalp in Androgenetic Alopecia

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
Dermatol Surg. 2012 Mar 8. doi: 10.1111/j.1524-4725.2012.02378.x.
Caspase-1 Level Is Higher in the Scalp in Androgenetic Alopecia.

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES:

Inflammasomes that activate caspase-1 govern the innate immune inflammatory response. Whether hair loss associated with androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) involves caspase-1 activation is not known.

METHODS:

Immunohistochemical staining for caspase-1 was performed on scalp tissue sections, and protein lysates were analyzed from individuals with Androgenetic Alopecia (no treatment), and individuals with Androgenetic Alopecia taking finasteride with apparent hair growth, individuals with Androgenetic Alopecia taking finasteride without noted hair growth, and normal controls. In vitro studies of human keratinocytes were conducted to establish effects of finasteride, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), and testosterone on caspase-1 levels using immunoblot analysis.

RESULTS:

Caspase-1 is expressed in normal human adult epidermal keratinocytes. Caspase-1 expression is greater in men with Androgenetic Alopecia. In contrast, in men taking finasteride, caspase-1 levels were lower and were similar to those in normal controls. In vitro studies showed that keratinocytes treated with finasteride in combination with testosterone or DHT resulted in a significant decrease in caspase-1 expression.

CONCLUSION:

In vivo and in vitro finasteride treatment resulted in lower caspase-1 expression, supporting the idea that androgens influence innate immunity involved in the hair cycle in Androgenetic Alopecia. These findings may provide a basis for development of novel treatments for inflammatory skin and hair diseases.

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
Some older research:
Androgen responsive genes as they affect hair growth
European Journal of Dermatology. Volume 11, Numéro 4, 304-8, July - August 2001, Articles de la revue

Activated caspase 1 was also found in the hair bulb and hair shaft. We did find appreciable changes in the levels of expression of caspase 1 before and after finasteride treatment in Androgenetic Alopecia, suggesting that caspase 1 may play an important role in inflammation by activating cytokines, as well as mediating apoptosis in normal hair regulation. Previous to this study, the dermal papilla area of the hair follicle was thought to be the main control focus of cell growth and inhibition [25]. The findings from this study also suggest an important role of the upper-lower portion, infundibular area of the hair shaft where inner and outer root sheath are abruptly changing and that this area may play a role in the regulation of normal hair apoptosis. Caspase 3 seems to be playing the key role in the apoptotic pathway during the catagen phase of the hair cycle in these areas. Finasteride may exhibit its influence by selectively inhibiting DHT, which affects a multitude of "androgen responsive genes", such as the caspase pathway, which affects programmed cell death in the hair cycle.

http://www.jle.com/fr/revues/medecine/e ... icle.phtml

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
Very interesting, I wonder why this study hasn't been leapt upon as much as the one regarding PGD 2.

I did a little further digging and found this

"Rosmarinic acid, active component of Dansam-Eum attenuates ototoxicity of cochlear hair cells through blockage of caspase-1 activity."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21526214

Rosmarinic acid I'm assuming would be a high in Rosemary oil, which traditionally has been used to help with hairloss/

Now i'm not saying that's anything like a cure because the chances are with such an age old remedy we'd know already, but it could be a little booster, to help with the immune element.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Maybe some of this went over my head, but it makes you wonder if propecia works because it lowers this caspase-1 which helps with inflammation or does it work like we think because it lowers the DHT? Its like the more we find out the more realize we still dont know.
I mean this caspase-1 is higher in men with male pattern baldness and lower in men without it. Sounds a lot like that pgd2 discovery that was proclaimed as a cure by the news.