Can't give blood while on finasteride.

Luther007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know about down in the States, but up here in Canada they don't accept blood donations from men using finasteride. You have to be at least 6 months finasteride free.

I feel kinda guilty about it, since I have good friends who give regularly and blood is always in need. It seems vain and kinda selfish; I mean, instead of helping save lives, I'm choosing to save my hair. Then again, sometimes I even feel guilty that I'm not willing to donate a kidney, so maybe I'm just overly scrupulous. Anyone else thought about this?

Guarana

Reaction score
Yep, we cant give blood in the states either, so if donating blood is important to you then you'll have to make a choice. At least youre giving back to the community by helping people gun down their enemies in vats mode.

Ende

Reaction score
Well, what do you think will happen if a woman, who's pregnant with a male fetus, recieves blood from you, drawn some hours after you swallowed your pill? We're talking about serious birth defects. It's hazardous for pubescent boys too.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Enden said:
Well, what do you think will happen if a woman, who's pregnant with a male fetus, recieves blood from you, drawn some hours after you swallowed your pill? We're talking about serious birth defects. It's hazardous for pubescent boys too.

I know there are precautions like this in place for such reasons, but remember the mother and fetus' blood does not mix.

Chances are a single pill of finasteride in your bloodstream is not going to harm the fetus. They just aren't taking any chances at all.

Ende

Reaction score
TheGrayMan2001 said:
Enden said:

I know there are precautions like this in place for such reasons, but remember the mother and fetus' blood does not mix.

Chances are a single pill of finasteride in your bloodstream is not going to harm the fetus. They just aren't taking any chances at all.
What? If their blood doesn't mix, howcome certain compunds are known to cause birth defects? Why shouldn't a woman carrying a child smoke or drink? They must be linked somehow. The fetus gets nutrition from the mother.

I'm thinking while I'm writing; so what you're saying is that the mother actually has to swallow the pill herself if the fetus should be affected? Anyway, it doesn't change the fact that it's still dangerous for pubescent boys.

Guarana

Reaction score
although the blood doesnt mix, obviously certain compounds, nutrients hormones etc diffuse between the different vascular systems.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Guarana is right.

Their blood doesn't mix, they share none of the same cardiovascular system. The umbilical cord is mostly for nutrients.

Ende

Reaction score
Which means that the fetus will be affected if the mother use oral medication. Anyone knows why a pregnant woman shouldn't smoke then? Smoke is mainly absorbed in the lungs, and passes to the blood stream in seconds.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Enden said:
Which means that the fetus will be affected if the mother use oral medication. Anyone knows why a pregnant woman shouldn't smoke then? Smoke is mainly absorbed in the lungs, and passes to the blood stream in seconds.

Carcinogens.

But of course, for decades, women smoked while pregnant and yet most babies were still born quite healthy.

CCS

Reaction score
Enden said:

Why do you assume he would donate just a few hours after taking his finasteride? He could wait 3 days or even a week without any bad effect on his hair. finasteride has a half life of 4 hours, and an oral dose of less than 0.01 mg has no effect on serum DHT. I'm not saying he should donate, but I am saying that the only reason FDA says 30 days is the doctors in charge are afraid of getting sued. All it takes is any birth defect, even if it is not one of the predicted ones, and a jury that likes to award laws suits, and the doctors would be in trouble. Our country lets the least intelligent people vote and serve on juries. Most people think dihydrogen monoxide is unhealthy, and also that monosodium glutamate is a poison put in food. With that kind of ignorance out there, it is no wonder we have these laws.

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score
You can donate after 1 month off finasteride in Australia.

So I assume if you declare you've been on finasteride previously they screen your blood for traces of finasteride, yeah (like say you finished taking it 1 month and 1 day ago, and then went to give blood)?