Can't Get Used To Having Hair--need Advice

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got my first-ever system a few days ago. Not exactly the experience I was hoping for: the color is a little bit too dark, they left it WAY too long for a guy my age (my fault), there's some weirdness with hair towards the back that seems determined to go in a different direction (is it possible that the manufacturer put in a whorl?), and because I managed to sweat while eating dinner a few hours after getting it put on, the glue broke down. So it was off my head about 4 hours after getting put on.

I cut it myself into a shorter style and keep putting it on my head and staring into a mirror. I'm not sure whether it's the fact that I'm less than happy with the piece itself or it's just me being unadventurous, but I find that I just can't get used to seeing myself with hair after so many years of not having any. I'm told by the one person I know who saw the piece before it came off that it looked great, but I don't know--to me it's looking too fake.

Did anyone else have this issue in your first week? If so, how did you deal with it?

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes. Its a big change and we are our own worse critics.

You are also on a learning curve.

It should get easier and more comfortable with each passing day.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was petrified the first couple of weeks, it gets easier, now, I have the right style, etc... it's now part of me.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I reckon a lot of guys hate the way it looks when they first wear. Especially if you have little hair to begin with. The change for me was a shock, I didn't go out for days unless I wore a cap and only after the hair settled and I had it cut shorter (by a normal stylist) did I feel happier with it.

If I was really honest, I would say that I wasn't really happy until about 3 months later, when I got used to doing the maintenance myself and learning how best to style it.

I'm in my 40s and one thing is clear: the hair has to look appropriate for your age. This fact is often lost on some salons, who simply think it's OK to stick a normal/high density piece on your head as though you are 25 years old. If you think your piece is too dense, have it thinned out at a normal stylist but of course warn them it is a system and that they need to take their time thinning it. I had mine thinned out LOADS.

Goldie Locks

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think this is perfectly normal for the system to feel fake, too thick and unnatural and look for the smallest flaws.

I struggled A LOT when i had the system first installed. Probably because I had very little hair on top as I was balding in my late teens. I'm only 30yo now. For me it always seemed way too thick. Now I think it was because of the contrast from what I used to for so many years. I kept thinking that it looked awful and resented it! Badly! I didn't even want to hear complements from people.
After few weeks only I started getting used to it, knowing how to style and most importantly do the front line clean up.
In my opinion first system is always a "test drive" thing. From the second one it was great. I began to feel more confident and "owning the fact" I've got a great set of hair.
I am sure you will get to this point! I hope much sooner than me. Because then you will realise that people's compliments are geniuene and you do look great. But most importantly feel great. Without seeing you @NYCHairGuy It's hard to give an honest opinion so if you'd like to exchange pictures and know my honest opinion I'll be happy to do that.

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Update: things are looking up slightly. I was determined today to give it another try, so I glued it on my head for the first time ever. Got a little bit of hair trapped under the thinskin and in the adhesive, the placement was slightly off, but still...not terrible for a first attempt. Walked around with it for several hours and started to hate it slightly less. Took it off when I got home so I can try tomorrow to get the placement right. Question: is it possible to clean adhesive from a thinskin system and not have to wash the entire unit? The solvent keeps getting into the hair outside the perimeter of the skin.