Can we use women's Lace Hair Systems?

n1zza77

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

It's been a couple of years since I posted here but the growing concerns of the shortage of hairpieces has me coming back and seeing what all of your solutions are. Not sure if this question has been asked yet, but I see that there are still plenty of women's wigs around and my female friends do not seem to feel any supplies issues as I have, specifically looking for Swiss Lace.

My question is, could we use women's lace systems instead with a regular male cut? If not, then why?

Thanks!

Robrover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, I've done it with a full cap wig. Had to reshape the hairline and thin it down a bit. Also used my own sideburns as the wig didn't come with them. But it worked out ok and I still have it as a back up.

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a good question ... Could you find a womens lace wig and cut it down to do a topper . my template size is 7" X 5.3" , but not sure womens lace wings come in this size.. ? any advice ... ?

Robrover

My Regimen
Reaction score
You could cut one down to size using a new razor blade to cut the lace very carefully from the back so as not to hack into the hair. Use your existing topper as a template and draw around it with chalk or a non permanent marker.

And yes, they are thicker, which is why you need to thin them out. There are several well documented ways to do this - dab hair remover gel sparingly on the lace from behind to loosen the knots then comb the hair out; you can pluck hair out by wetting it and pulling on it though you may need to use needle nose pliers if its too slippery for your fingers; use thinning scissors but note this doesn't completely remove the hair down to the knots; or wet the hair and use a Mach3 razor drawing it along segments of the hair as this can also work to achieve the appearance of a thinner crop especially at the front.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
The answer to the OP's question depends on which type of woman's wig he's referring to.

Most women don't wear fullcap, 360 lace units like the toupee suppliers sell.

Most wear lace-front wigs. These are actual wigs - like Halloween-style elastic whatever caps - with lace/monofilament at the toward the hairline. That's glued down to create a much more realistic appearance.

Lace-front wigs come in a variety of cap sizes - so they can only be cut as short as the cap will allow.

The hair in them, as noted, is also very dense.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score

Robrover

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got it from Coolpiece when Jeffrey was selling a small quantity of stock womens human hair lace wigs a while back which were good quality and quite well priced. And delivered from China to Australia in 4 days of placing the order.

Unfortunately, the Chinese supplier gave up due to Covid so the supply stopped. But there are many sites and stores selling wigs and hair extensions for women around so I may try doing another one soon.

Robrover

My Regimen
Reaction score
This was all French lace full cap wig, slightly stretchy, so it fitted like a glove. Once cut in and thinned down, with a bit of product added, you'd never know the difference from a mens full cap.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
anyone know a good place to get full lace womens wigs ?

Esse Wigs in China, perhaps. They stock men's lace units too btw:

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How are these women's lace base wigs attached? They do come in a heavier lace and are made with thicker density.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You could cut one down to size using a new razor blade to cut the lace very carefully from the back so as not to hack into the hair. Use your existing topper as a template and draw around it with chalk or a non permanent marker.

And yes, they are thicker, which is why you need to thin them out. There are several well documented ways to do this - dab hair remover gel sparingly on the lace from behind to loosen the knots then comb the hair out; you can pluck hair out by wetting it and pulling on it though you may need to use needle nose pliers if its too slippery for your fingers; use thinning scissors but note this doesn't completely remove the hair down to the knots; or wet the hair and use a Mach3 razor drawing it along segments of the hair as this can also work to achieve the appearance of a thinner crop especially at the front.

Does plucking the hairline to thin it out and make it look more realistic remove the hair right down to the knots, or just the hairs?

Robrover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it's one way to thin it out a bit, can loosen the knots with something like Nair on the underside first so the whole lot comes out.

I just used Walkers No Shine tape for attaching, same as normal with mens custom full cap.

n1zza77

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I already do my own cut in and haircut so I think I'll have to go with a women's system.

Much appreciated.