Can we to become insensitive to dutasteride ??

marco67

Reaction score
Hello, excuse me for my English , I'm French , here is my problem , in 2004 I have do 3 months of cure of Avodart (original, not from India) , at the end of the treatment I have do a blood test to measure my level of DHT , result : 2.12 ng , (the normal section for a man in good health is between 1.00 and 3.65 ng) , if I stopped my cure after 3 months, it is because of the side effects too important , lower libido, very liquid sperm like water .

But in 2005, 1 year later approximately, I have do a new cure of 6 months this time , new analysis at the end of the treatment, result 2.08 ng , but I stopped the cure because of the same side effects ...

In December 2006, 1 year and half after my second cure of Avodart , I have do a third cure , this time I have say , I would continue Avodart for all my life , in spite of the side effects !

But something changed compared to the preceding cures, I did not feel any side effects , last week I have do a blood analysis , and surprised , my level of DHT does not have to drop !

3.63 ng after 3 months of cure !

I afraid to have become "resistant" to the dutasteride , is this is possible ?

I do not believe , it has there only with the antibiotics which one can become resistant .

But perhaps that I have another explanation, at the same moment when I began my third cure of Avodart , I started to take many supplements for my skin , my hair , my cartilage , etc . , perhaps a supplement prevents the dutasteride from being effective ??

Here the list of what I takes since December 2006 (in addition to the avodart): Beta-carotene , lycopene , Omega 3 and 6 , Nizoral 2% (Shampoo) , Biotin , complex vitamins B , Glucosamine Chondroitin & MSM , vitamin E , Silymarin , minoxidil 5% with Retin A and Acid Azelaic (just the morning) , and a German lotion which is called Pantostin (juste the evening) .

Thank you to help me , give to me your opinion .

jc444

Established Member
Reaction score
Where did you get your Avodart from? If you got it from the internet then you should consider the possibility that your 3rd batch of pills was fake. This would also explain the lack of side effects. I don't think you would become resistent to the dutasteride as you described.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
maibe the jumping on and off avodart has made youre body hormonal.. and made it produce more DHT... but really only a dr can tell you what has happend..

marco67

Reaction score
jc444 said:
Where did you get your Avodart from? If you got it from the internet then you should consider the possibility that your 3rd batch of pills was fake. This would also explain the lack of side effects. I don't think you would become resistent to the dutasteride as you described.
I legally bought it in a pharmacy .

Jojje said:
maibe the jumping on and off avodart has made youre body hormonal.. and made it produce more DHT... but really only a dr can tell you what has happend..
Possible, to know it it would be necessary that I stop the duta and that I do a hormonal test .

marco67

Reaction score
I have an idea, I will continue the duta but I will take spironolactone to lower my testosterone (and my DHT), when I would have a low level, I stop the spironolactone, and thus my testosterone and DHT will go up , but I hope that my testosterone level and DHT will not go up as high as they were front.

Sean68

Reaction score
marco67 said:
perhaps a supplement prevents the dutasteride from being effective ??

i doubt it but ive wondered that as well. i dont take loads for that reason. theres loads of reasons why it could be - i also dont think jumping on and off it was a wise move but your only real option is to carry on with it and see what happens when its measured again.

marco67

Reaction score
I have perhaps to found the solution, I have just read something interesting here : http://www.gsk.ca/fr/products/prescript ... 262006.pdf , it wrote there that the dutasteride should not be taken with CYP3A4 Inhibitors , example : Milk Thistle .

The Milk Thistle and the Silymarin are exactly the same thing !!
The Silymarin protect the liver , but by protecting the liver, it prevents the dutasteride to being "digested" by the liver !

I hope that I found just , I stop the silymarin as of today , if I am right , in 2 or 3 weeks maximum I should start to feel the side effects from the dutasteride on my libido and my sperm .

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
marco67 said:
I have perhaps to found the solution, I have just read something interesting here : http://www.gsk.ca/fr/products/prescript ... 262006.pdf , it wrote there that the dutasteride should not be taken with CYP3A4 Inhibitors , example : Milk Thistle .

The Milk Thistle and the Silymarin are exactly the same thing !!
The Silymarin protect the liver , but by protecting the liver, it prevents the dutasteride to being "digested" by the liver !

I hope that I found just , I stop the silymarin as of today , if I am right , in 2 or 3 weeks maximum I should start to feel the side effects from the dutasteride on my libido and my sperm .

hmm if Silymarine protects the liver from surtain drugs.. does it mean that if you are on it and drink alcohole ..you could be drunk for like a couple of days ?? :D just wondering :lol:

marco67

Reaction score
yes , alcoholics take silymarin to protect their liver , I know several bodybuilders (amateurs) which take steroids with silymarin , obviously the silymarin will don't protect their liver at 100% , but that will decrease the damages of alcohol or the steroids .

LulzKiller

Established Member
Reaction score
antibiotic resistance has to do with the bacteria becoming resistant, not YOU becoming resistant