Can topical spironolactone be absorbed systemically?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I find the claim made by that fellow (that the bad effects were caused by the topical spironolactone) to be VERY difficult to believe. There has been more than one study with laboratory rodents (hamsters) showing no systemic absorption of the topical spironolactone at all. There was even a study down with HUMAN volunteers, in which topical spironolactone was applied to fully HALF of their entire body surface area, again with no harmful effects.

guybrush

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know my body absorbs any topical so easily and spironolactone gets into my bloodstream if I apply it onto the whole scalp. I believe I'm a rare case anyway.

The systemic effect of topical spironolactone is rather weak.. it acts as a diuretic but not as a strong one. I haven't experienced any other sides after 1 month of treatment along with finasteride 0,5mg.

This is just my personal experience though..

guybrush

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've just read the link and Dr. Lee's response supports my personal experience:

"Since spironolactone is a diuretic, one of the first indications of a systemic reaction would be more frequent urination."

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Gubter87 said:
I have also read the study where it was deemed safe for topical use. However to my knowledge that was done on people with acne...

You haven't read THE study with topical spironolactone, you've read A study with topical spironolactone! There's more than just one! :)

Gubter87 said:
It seems like rather a coincidence that his testosterone levels plumeted right after starting topical spironolactone, doesn't it?

I would consider it a hell of a coincidence even if his testosterone levels plummeted right after starting ORAL spironolactone! :)

rcom440

Reaction score
Gubter87 said:
Well if I am not mistaken I believe that you are of the opinion that spironolactone is a rather weak antiandrogen. What studies have you read to be of this opinion?

Most places I have read say that it is a powerful androgen blocker and also a somewhat good antiandrogen, meaning it should be very good for hairloss - at least in theory.

But god! My anxiety really is growing. Is there an alternative or is it just to jump back on the finasteride boat? I did not experience significant side effects, might have had a mild decrease in libido. But I do feel reluctant to taking finasteride. Topical spironolactone really would be great, if it was enough to maintain my hair as it is today.

It all depends on the aggressiveness of your hairloss. For some people finasteride+minoxidil+spironolactone+RU may be not enough to stop it.
But spironolactone may not stop it but it will slow it down and that's a big plus!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Gubter87 said:
Well if I am not mistaken I believe that you are of the opinion that spironolactone is a rather weak antiandrogen. What studies have you read to be of this opinion?

The small Greek trial with four individuals (two women, and two men) who took 200 mg/day of oral spironolactone. Their blood levels of steroids weren't significantly affected, according to the doctors.

Gubter87 said:
Most places I have read say that it is a powerful androgen blocker and also a somewhat good antiandrogen, meaning it should be very good for hairloss - at least in theory.

Are you talking ORAL or TOPICAL spironolactone?

Gubter87 said:
But god! My anxiety really is growing. Is there an alternative or is it just to jump back on the finasteride boat? I did not experience significant side effects, might have had a mild decrease in libido. But I do feel reluctant to taking finasteride. Topical spironolactone really would be great, if it was enough to maintain my hair as it is today.

I'm not saying not to use topical spironolactone; go ahead and use it! I _do_ think topical spironolactone is only rather mediocre as an antiandrogen, but it's certainly better than nothing.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
if you're already taking finasteride, is it redundant to use topical spironolactone, or worth a shot?

guybrush

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Gubter87 said:
Quantum Cat said:
if you're already taking finasteride, is it redundant to use topical spironolactone, or worth a shot?

spironolactone being mainly an androgen blocker it will most certainly work synergistically with any antiandrogen.

Think of the spironolactone as clogging the holes where the dht would go through to the hair follicle, whilst finasteride would decrease the amount of dht trying to get through. It would probably be one of those 1+1=3 scenarios

I completely agree. In fact, there's a study showing the synergy between topical spironolactone and some topical antiandrogens. I guess the effect should be the same with oral finasteride.