Can taking finasteride twice a day improve results?

adam1987

Established Member
Reaction score
Been on finasteride now for 6 months and havent seen too much happen and was wondering if there is any evidence or reason for taking finasteride twice a day so that it stays in the system?

Thoughts please

chicknlittle

Reaction score
http://www.drugs.com/pro/finasteride.html Despite the fact that the half life is listed as 8 hours, the product insert says "In man, a single 5 mg oral dose of Finasteride produces a rapid reduction in serum DHT concentration, with the maximum effect observed 8 hours after the first dose. The suppression of DHT is maintained throughout the 24 hour dosing interval and with continued treatment." So, product insert not suggesting benifit of more frequent dosing.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Been on finasteride now for 6 months and havent seen too much happen and was wondering if there is any evidence or reason for taking finasteride twice a day so that it stays in the system?

Thoughts please
Way too short, way too short. Do not change a thing, it takes much longer.

adam1987

Established Member
Reaction score
I understand and agree that i need to be on it for at least a year minimum and hopefully will see the effects in the second, where i am struggling is finding out what dosage will work best for me. I take proscar, and used to take 1.25, but now have moved up to 2.5 - half a tablet basically. Does the dosage effect results in any way, i know shedding can effect change in dosage. Are people likely to see better results with higher dosages?

Thank you for helping. Ty to the gusy above.

Stefan_88

Reaction score
Everyone keep saying that you'll see real results after 14-15 months on Finasteride.

Some says that when they added their dossage, their hairs thickening up much better.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Why do it? 1mg is recommended, this should be the default dose. Why increase the risk of something unwanted happening? Do you want to treat your prostate?

You HAVE TO be patient or you will never know if the treatment will be effective. 6 months is not long enough. It's not like your hairloss will be over in another 6 months, or in a year. It will continue all your life, unless there will be a cure. 6 months is nothing. Keep your other weapons for later.

Agahi

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't feel the increased dose will help. 1.25mg/day seems best when splitting the pills. 1.00mg/day if not. If you want something else, research adding 1mg/every 3 days of dutasteride with the finasteride, or perhaps some of the experimental stuff found on the forums.

Are you on minoxidil as well?

adam1987

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Yeah im on minoxidil 5% twice a day as well as spironolactone cream and trimmocin folligen spray to see if that helps in the combination. I will reduce the dose and just wait it out. Thanks for the advice.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you aware that adding to or changing your regimen around will make you shed too? Read the guide to treatments on this page. Each of these things will ideally make your old bad and miniaturized hair go and make room for better hair. You have to shed those hairs a couple of times for them to grow back stronger.
Get rid of the second half of finasteride and stay on what you are doing even though it is a bit much to keep doing that. After all you are in for the long term. You are only 24 and I guarantee you at 34 you will want your hair too.

I have seen improvement in terms of shedding at about month 15. And I still have days where I lose more than 100. Try to relax and let the stuff do its job. After all, what alternative do you have? You can't go much stronger in terms of treatments...

adam1987

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks will not let it happen, great reassuring advice. I know, been on minoxidil for 8 months and finasteride now, but have recently added spironolactone cream and trimmocin hair spray. I think S5 definetly causes shedding, but like you said its all part of the process. I agree it is a bit much, i have to be in the mirror 6 times a day for the regaime for about 5 mins which can get annoying as their are times where you feel like i really dont want to do this when your tired for example, but keep forcing myself as i hope it will pay off in the future. I think i have added everything i can add now, its what you do when you panik or you reliase time is against you, even at 24 my hair has receded more than i wanted, i should have started 2 or 4 years ago but i had long hair and when i got my hair cut.......****. haha
I was going to ask you, what are the chances of picking up sides on finasteride if you havent really had any to start off, is there a chance you pick up sides if you stay on the drug?

Thanks for your help by the way, all in the struggle.

Adam

mrfifs

Reaction score
help me out please. ive been on finasteride for eight months with minoxidil 5%. doesnt seem to have any improvement and its generally getting worse. pretty in bad shape. would you advice increase minoxidil to 10%? I do not want to increase dosage on finasteride.

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It would be nice if you guys gave us an update on your results after 5 years. I see a lot of older threads and read all these personal stories but after a while the thread dies out and we never know what happened.

Mr. Prince

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It would be nice if you guys gave us an update on your results after 5 years. I see a lot of older threads and read all these personal stories but after a while the thread dies out and we never know what happened.

I think it's just that they don't have a reason to come back. I think that means that they are doing pretty good with the treatments.

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it's just that they don't have a reason to come back. I think that means that they are doing pretty good with the treatments.

Yeah maybe. But it would be nice for the rest of us who are fighting hair loss to know their results and what they did treatment wise in the last 5 years