Can someone please tell me how to use minoxidil?!!

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
K so cool drug but I'm really not getting it. I started using minoxidil about 2 years ago, but I've been kind of on and off with it. When I first started using I applied only to crown and I noticed it got really thin (I was uneducated to minoxidil when first using). I read that this was normal and led to more regrowth. So sure enough about 2-3 months later, as I only applied at night and only sometimes twice a day, I got regrowth and was very excited to see it work. I was just kind of testing the water and kind of got off it. As I saw it thinning again I knew I needed to keep up with it. I had slight shedding but it regrew. I went through a couple of stages where I would get shedding to then periods of massive regrowth, but I never really maintained hair. I was also inconsistent with dosing, so the last 6 months I really have been keeping up on it and applying twice a day. I noticed my front going more and since my dad receded really quickly, I started applying to my whole head. The middle grew super thick, but the crown and front were still thin, but it appeared my front only continued to get thinner. I started propecia and 2% keto about a month ago and its good to not see as much shedding anymore and I know its not even in its full effect. I always check my "fall-outs" and when in max use of minoxidil, the shaft seemed to be thick, but towards the root was very thin and brittle. I thought this was good at first because I knew the minoxidil was causing it and that it should grown back thicker, but it kept doing that. I run dry, (dry skin, dry mouth, dry scalp) and I think that it was drying my scalp so bad that it was causing these follicles to shrink and just pop out. Long story short, is I'm sick of going through the hassle of applying minoxidil twice a day and not seeing results!! If this worked I would be pumped, and I know im going bald and its tough to bring back hair, but I would love to see where I would be at if I hadn't started minoxidil. I seemed to have healthy enough hair when I first started, but I just jumped to minoxidil as I didn't want to start a drug so young. Everyone knows minoxidil on a healthy head of hair is a terrible idea, so how much damage can it be doing to us? Has anyone figured out the trick to get great regrowth and keep it consistently?

Side Effects I'm seeing from minoxidil: Terrible acne and random hairs popping out of my face everywhere!!

My regime:
.25 mg finasteride 2x one day, and just once the next day.
2% keto about 1-2 a week
zenagen shampoo about twice a week
Multivitamin, fish oil, other supps and a good diet
A mix of 5% minoxidil and 2%

I mixed cuz I honestly think the 5% was causing constant shedding with me. When I first started minoxidil is when people first started asking if I was going bald. I didn't care as I kept telling myself its only gonna grow back thicker, but it really hasn't. I just remember how my crown came in from minoxidil as lil doughy hairs at first to turning into full size and color hairs but with that brittle and fake feel. Now my whole head is like that :( It seems like my hair is finally responding to the ~4% mixture after about 3 months on it at 2x a day. I just want it to work! Any input helps. Thanks in advance.

IMG_0494.jpg IMG_0489.jpg

Pictures are from about 4 months ago prior to me started the 2% and 5% mixture. If it isn't obvious hair was messy as I just woke up and hadn't showered yet.