Can someone explain the "minoxidil grown hairs" th

lithebod

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok I have a query hope someone can "shed" some light on

I'm on finasteride and am trying to maintain my hair (regrowth if lucky)

Im considering throwing minoxidil into the equation now that the foam version is out and look alot less hassle to apply

So my question is:

If I regrow/maintain hairs using finasteride and then use minoxidil if I stopped using minoxidil for some reason i.e. still thought it was a hassle to apply it or whatever what would happen to the hairs I regrew or maintained as a result of finasteride lowering my dht levels - would they fall out cos the hair regrew whilst I was on minoxidil or would they stay as long as I stayed on finasteride???

comments appreciated

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
There have been anecdotes over the years (and even a case study published in a medical journal) that hair regrown with minoxidil may not be able to be maintained with finasteride alone.

Bryan

Phillip

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe Bryan is correct.

Although i think some people might have maintained without, most seem to say the same as bryan.

Even if you blocked all the DHT those hairs might not stay i imagine. They are only growing by the effect of the stimulant in minoxidil and aided to grow also by less dht in the follicle.

Minoxidil and finasteride work by totally different methods. Finasteride mainly maintaining while minoxidil helping to sprout more hairs in the more dht neutral environment.