Can Propecia Ever Make Your Hair Worse?

Quigleymcjones

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im not talking about non responders, I mean could there ever be a case that someone would have been better off not taking the drug, hair-wise

Illusions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's a very good chance your hair will look worse within the first 3-6 months taking it from the shed. If you mean could propecia make your hair worse than not taking anything in the long run, yes, it can in some cases accelerate male pattern baldness, but that is very rare occurrence.

Samson123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As someone who experienced accelerated hairloss from finasteride, it is a nightmare that never ends. I do think these kinds of adverse reactions can mostly be prevented by, first, knowing what your baseline DHT levels are. finasteride slows, reverses hairloss by inhibiting the hormone DHT so it stands to reason that men with mid to high levels of DHT will benefit the most. I think the people most at risk of accelerated hairloss with finasteride are those that are losing hair with low levels of DHT because those men have very sensitive hair follicles and the body can make more hormone receptors to compensate for low levels of a hormone, so now men who already have sensitive hair follicles have been super sensitized with finasteride, way beyond anything finasteride can protect against. I believe that, for some, less is more. A lot of guys take .25 mg and that is all they need, and maybe taking the 1 mg would leave them worse off. I think its about 'tricking' the body just enough, but not too much lest it goes into panic mode and overcompensates with receptor sensitivity.