can propecia cause ageing and wrinkles?

messmorph

Established Member
Reaction score
There has been nothing documented on it but I would bet my left testicle that some people have had those symptons.

I can tell you I look 5 years older and everyone else have said that. Photos say the same thing too :(

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My left testicle looks old and wrinkled.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
messmorph said:
There has been nothing documented on it but I would bet my left testicle that some people have had those symptons.

I can tell you I look 5 years older and everyone else have said that. Photos say the same thing too :(

Actually, Finasteride increases your level of testosterone, which could delay the onset of andropause, so there's a possibility of it actually making you look younger. An increase in testosterone could also give you more energy, greater strength, and increased brain function -- it could even increase your libido. I found all of these things to be true, after the initial onset period, once my body adapted to Finasteride. Who knows?

Although, depending on how much DHT levels are lowered, it could also create increased estrogen over time, which is a bad thing for most men... unless you're Richard Simmons. :)

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Thats really the bizarre thing about Finasteride, because if it increases Testosterone, as it supposedly does, then those things would be true. Increased energy, strength, mental function.
But the reality is that far more people report exactly the opposite as side effects.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
20sometingtoo said:
Thats really the bizarre thing about Finasteride, because if it increases Testosterone, as it supposedly does, then those things would be true. Increased energy, strength, mental function.
But the reality is that far more people report exactly the opposite as side effects.

I agree. From reading other's experiences, it appears I'm in the minority here. But when you gain 15 pounds on Finasteride in the span of a year, after staying at a certain weight your entire life, it really is an eye-opener. I even noticed an increase in energy and endurance; it's a weird feeling. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

But I believe a lot depends on the normal levels of DHT and testosterone already in our bodies, and how much they are affected by Finasteride. I also believe some men are more predisposed to creating excess estrogen, while on Finasteride, and might experience a greater amount of negative effects in its presence too. Who knows?

KiLLuMiNaTi

Established Member
Reaction score
joseph did you gain 15 pounds of muscle?? or just 15 pounds??

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
KiLLuMiNaTi said:
joseph did you gain 15 pounds of muscle?? or just 15 pounds??

I wish it was fifteen pounds of pure muscle. :) I've always had a super high metabolism, and have always had problems gaining weight, no matter how much I eat or exercise. So I believe it's a combination of an increase in testosterone increasing strength and creating extra muscle, along with it possibly creating a slight decrease in my metabolism?, and a slight increase in fat.

Endo.Crono.Logic

Reaction score
I think people need to focus on estrogen management. We can all learn from the bodybuilding community; if you elevate T levels, which you DO by blocking 5-AR, you have to control estrogen. Estrogen will cause loss of libido, limp dick, lethargy, gyno, water retention, growth of a vagina... all the probs that come up in these forums.

Testosterone "Aromatizes" into estrogen via "Aromatase." There are a number of aromatase inhibtors on the market, the most notable being Arimidex.

If you are a healthy male with lots of T, and have the gene for 5-AR, once you block AR your body will look for other pathways to convert excess Testosterone. Try working out like a fiend, but you may need to use estrogen blockers as well.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
HairyHormone said:
I think people need to focus on estrogen management. We can all learn from the bodybuilding community; if you elevate T levels, which you DO by blocking 5-AR, you have to control estrogen. Estrogen will cause loss of libido, limp dick, lethargy, gyno, water retention, growth of a vagina... all the probs that come up in these forums.

Testosterone "Aromatizes" into estrogen via "Aromatase." There are a number of aromatase inhibtors on the market, the most notable being Arimidex.

If you are a healthy male with lots of T, and have the gene for 5-AR, once you block AR your body will look for other pathways to convert excess Testosterone. Try working out like a fiend, but you may need to use estrogen blockers as well.

Subconsciously, while under Finasteride, I indeed started working out like a fiend. Also by lowering my dosage, it removed some of the remaining side effects.

What was amazing, as I've stated before, is the increase in energy it gave me. I had some of the best, most focused workouts of my life. Perhaps if I instead had stayed sedentary, the opposite would have occured.... "loss of libido, limp dick, lethargy, gyno, water retention, growth of a vagina" :freaked2:

But just as much as excess testosterone can be a gift, it can also be a curse in the form of estrogen. Like the old adage says, "Use it, or lose it." :)

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I found the extra strenght and focuse super-habilities very possible, as in myself I think they have occured.

Also I think it has made something to my face, as I think it made me look younger... BUT I´m having wrinkles I didn´t have since I was a teenager. No explossive, volcanic kind of wrinkles that hurt when touched, just a load of tiny wrinkles, specially in my forehead.

Womble

Reaction score
20sometingtoo said:

I think the situation is complicated by the fact that hair loss and depression often go hand in hand, and guess what some of the key symptoms of depression are? Yes, you've guessed it - decreased libido, lethargy and memory impairment.

Endo.Crono.Logic

Reaction score
I think there have been posts correlating DHT and sebum production to young skin. Reverse that and lack of DHT could lead to wrinkles.

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
This is what I made from the following study...feel free to correct my interpretation.

http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v124/ ... 2637a.html

DHT and estrogen are important for keeping your skin thick and youthful. Estrogen (estradiol...I think it's related to estrogen) keeps the epidermis thick (which is the outermost layer) and DHT keeps the dermis thick and collagen rich (which is the most important area for preventing wrinkles etc). May explain why old women tend to have more wrinkles than old men. Anyway, I really don't know...my guess is that any changes won't be noticable.

Has anyone noticed their skin feels thinner and more prone to wrinkles since being on finasteride?

EDIT:
My bad...skin could possibly be thicker. Anyway, have a look at the skin thickness graph. Either way, its not statistically significant.