can duasteride accelerate your male pattern baldness?

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How long have you been on it? Many people notice an initial shed but this is usually a good sign and followed by regrowth.

everysixseconds

Established Member
Reaction score
ive been on it for 4 months. my situation is slightly worse, if not same. im using dutas dr reddys stuff. no regrowth. doesnt look imminent either. :cry:

G

I've used duprost for 2.75 months. I too, have gotten worse compared to before I started.

I am almost at the 3 month mark. I have ordered Dr Reddy's for my next 3 months. The way I see it is, Dutasteride is Dutasteride. It should not matter whether we take Dutas or Duprost. Theoretically, they should contain the same amount of dutasteride; which is 0.5.

Whether they do or not is another story. I read somewhere, someone doubted about the concentration levels of generic medicines.

They were comparing them to Avodart, questioning whether they are as reliable etc.

If I haven't see any improvement within 7 months, that's the ball game. I will get on Merck propecia/proscar and stay on it.

Use it with minoxidil and plan a hair transplant.

I have to start going forward with this, otherwise I am just wasting my time using these education tools.

Pirate Commander F.B.

Established Member
Reaction score
everysixseconds said:
ive been on it for 4 months. my situation is slightly worse, if not same. im using dutas dr reddys stuff. no regrowth. doesnt look imminent either. :cry:

Some say they experience shedding on finasteride or dutasteride. I never experienced this. But as long as you don't see a massive decline in your hair, stick to the treatment for a year.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ok, just how bad are these sheds anyway? Are we talking maybe 5% of your total hair or more like 50%?? Shedding is not supposed to be a bad thing as that hair is supposed to grow back. When the hair is miniturized and loses color is when you are actually LOSING hair, the way I understand it

JWM

Reaction score
dutasteride is a scary drug. I've been using it 4 months and shed quite a bit during this time.

Green Soap

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd rather shave my head and call it a day than use dutasteride. dutasteride is freaky.

oni

Reaction score
dutasteride is a drug you have to give some time to work (not unless you want to start with a loading dose!). I had a really bad shed at the 3 month mark and my hair looked really bad but now at the 13 month mark things are much better and now I am just waiting for the very centre of my crown to improve a bit more and then I will be happy with my hair. I did shed on and off on dutasteride but it always was followed by regrowth it does take it's time to grow back. :)

I would say to give this drug a year to show what it can do even more so than finasteride and if you do want to start to see results quicker try a loading dose for 2 weeks.

oni

Reaction score
Generic dutasteride vs Avodart.

I have tried Avodart for 90 days, Dutas for 200 days and now I am on Duprost for about 100 days. I have not noticed any difference in the Generics or Avodart and I am quite happy with taking the Generic type because hell it's a bloody lot cheaper. :) :shock:

Impressionable1

Reaction score
oni said:
I would say to give this drug a year to show what it can do even more so than finasteride and if you do want to start to see results quicker try a loading dose for 2 weeks.

Hi oni... what is a loading dose?

JWM

Reaction score
Oni

Did your shed leave your hair noticeably thinned out? Also, what other treatments are you using besides dutasteride?

oni

Reaction score
JuniorGatsby, a loading dose for dutasteride would be about 2.5mg for the first couple of weeks before sticking to 0.5mg a day this would allow the drug to build up in your system quicker this really only works with drugs that spend a lot of time in your system like dutasteride.

JWM, I did notice a general thinning out of the hair in the effected area my regime is below.

Impressionable1

Reaction score
oni said:
JuniorGatsby, a loading dose for dutasteride would be about 2.5mg for the first couple of weeks before sticking to 0.5mg a day this would allow the drug to build up in your system quicker this really only works with drugs that spend a lot of time in your system like dutasteride.

JWM, I did notice a general thinning out of the hair in the effected area my regime is below.

I see... *imagining the side effects of trying this* :shock:

YoungGuy18

Reaction score
hey guys, ive been on it for about a month but i dont know if im crazy or something. Some days I think my hair actually looks better and other days it looks worse, its all in my head I think. Really dutasteride is my atomic bomb in my hairloss battle, i just nuked male pattern baldness and i am hoping for the best i should even pray.

Really I am taking 0.5 duasteride a day. Should i get a higher dosage or just stick with the standard? I am so stupid my hair was responding so well to my treatments and i got stupid and stopped doing spironolactone what a shame I just hope I can get back to where i was 3-4 months ago.

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Are there any studies outlining the safety of dutasteride over a 5-year period?

If not, then its a bit of a lottery taking such a powerful drug for a potentially indefinite period of time.

I think the slight improvement it yields over Finasteride (in terms of hair counts etc) does not offset the increased propensity for side effects.

oni

Reaction score
JuniorGatsby lol! yes you will see the side effects a lot quicker but then again you would probably see the same effects after 3 months on 0.5mg.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JuniorGatsby said:
oni said:

I see... *imagining the side effects of trying this* :shock:

There's nothing particularly unusual or exotic about taking dutasteride loading doses. Test subjects have taken as much as 10mg to 20mg (maybe even more than that) all at once in clinical trials.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
There's nothing particularly unusual or exotic about taking dutasteride loading doses. Test subjects have taken as much as 10mg to 20mg (maybe even more than that) all at once in clinical trials.

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I just wanted to point out some more stuff about dutasteride loading doses.

I was correct in what I said above. Single doses as high as 40 mg (!) have been given to human test subjects! For example, consider the study: "A model for the turnover of dihydrotestosterone in the presence of the irreversible 5a-reductase inhibitors GI198745 and finasteride", Gisleskog et al, Clin Pharmacol Ther 1998;64: 636-47. The term "GI198745" is Glaxo's early code-name for dutasteride. Here's most of the first paragraph from the "Study design and data" section of the study:

"This study was a randomized, single-blind, placebo-controlled parallel-group study in which 48 healthy men 20 to 57 years of age...received single oral doses of GI198745, finasteride, or placebo...All subjects were healthy according to physical examination and clinical laboratory data. Four subjects per dose level received doses of 0.01, 0.1, 1, 2.5, 5, 10, 20, and 40 mg GI198745 as an oral solution in a volume of 7.5 mL of PEG400/Tween80 0.01% except for 40 mg, which was administered in 15 mL."

So we see that taking more modest "loading doses" of 10mg-20mg would surely be no big deal...

Bryan

oni

Reaction score
Thankyou Bryan I did read these clinical trials. I also see no problem with a very high loading dose of dutasteride or anything exotic about high loading doses for any drug that can be used in this way as it can be very helpful to the person who is taking it. The best way to get a drug to start to work fast is to take a loading dose. :)