Can Baking Soda Permanently Damage Your Hair?

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score
About 2.5 years ago I washed my hair with about 3 table spoons of baking soda. The second I washed it, my hair got completely fried. Became insanely thin instantly, wirey, very dry, lifeless. Hair is diffuse thinning, while I have noticed the crown and temples are slightly thinner. Im thinking it either completely destroyed my hair permanently, diffuse male pattern baldness or chronic telogen effluvium. I have had my blood checked multiple times, seen multiple derms who know nothing. While this did happen about 6 months after my last accutane pill, I first thought it was that but when looking back on it. My hair was completely destroyed from the baking soda.

Attachments

• IMG_5332.jpg
    IMG_5332.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 249
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 9.12.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 9.12.54 AM.png
    1,012.5 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_5321.jpg
    IMG_5321.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 301

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, it can't and it didn't. I don't think it can get in through the skin to the hair follicle so it has no way of damaging the follicle itself.
As far as maybe damaging your hair strands, I doubt that either, I used it too and it never did anything like that to me.

Assuming you've cut your hair in those 2.5 years the part of the strand that could've been damaged is already cut off by now. Whatever cosmetic change you noticed in your hair is not from the baking soda. Your hair still looks decent as is but it's hard to tell because it's wet.

jackjohn12

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, it can't and it didn't. I don't think it can get in through the skin to the hair follicle so it has no way of damaging the follicle itself.
As far as maybe damaging your hair strands, I doubt that either, I used it too and it never did anything like that to me.

Assuming you've cut your hair in those 2.5 years the part of the strand that could've been damaged is already cut off by now. Whatever cosmetic change you noticed in your hair is not from the baking soda. Your hair still looks decent as is but it's hard to tell because it's wet.
Is there anyway to tell the difference between diffuse alopecia vs chronic telogen effluvium