Can anyone clarify to me these terms like 1.Dht inhibitor 2.AR antongonist

paulie72785

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been on the forum for about a week or more and you guys have been really helpful but these terms are confusing like one says Finasteride is a DHT inhibitor and another says its AR antangonists and many others......HONESTLY this thing is truly confusing and really wivvles my mind all over as to which is what and how its supposed to work......Pls clarify it for me

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
AR = 5-alpha-reductase. The function of this enzyme is to convert testosterone into dht. Dht is basically 2 testosterone molecules glued together. Dht is what is binds to receptors in the hair follicle which starts a chain reaction which in the end strangles the follicles. Finasteride inhibits AR by binding competitively with testerone. Since both testosterone and finasteride bind the same place in the AR enzyme, they compete to bind AR and that makes finasteride an antagonist. So when you put enough finasteride in your body to outcompete testerone, AR can't covert any meaningful amount of testerone to DHT, which means we have a reduction in dht.
the reason you still have dht is because finasteride doesn't inhibit another type of AR enzyme also present in the body. Dutasteride inhibits both types which results in much less dht in the body.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
AR stands for androgen receptor, which accepts DHT. An AR antagonist is something plugs up the androgen receptors so DHT cant bind to it instead

DHT inhibitor blocks the enzyme(s) that converts T to DHT

psyhotria

Banned
Reaction score
Only what zzzzz said is true. The other guy, eenrak, seems to be confused himself lol. And btw it is not called DHT inhibitor but 5-ar (5-alpha-reductase) inhibitor (i.e. finasteride, dutasteride and alike).

paulie72785

Established Member
Reaction score
So spirolactone and CB0301 or RU just block androgen receptors so they are called???

- - - Updated - - -

So spirolactone and CB0301 or RU just block androgen receptors so they are called???

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score

- - - Updated - - -

correct