Can age related shedding/receding be mistaken for male pattern baldness?

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is it possible i seem to be expereincing this but my thinning improved after a while in the middle of the scalp and hairline (before treatment)...maybe due to the excleent thickening effect of the the shampoo i using....Temples have receded to Norwood 2 and holding there... i have thick hair in the middle of the scalp(before treatment)..vertex thinning ( but i always had thin hair in the vertex since young)..anyone else the same?....could this be age related shedding/receding? cause i never shed a single hair in the shower during my teens....Maybe its cos somehow after puberty the normal hair cycle of shedding and regrowing kicked in?

Currently on Propecia for almost 4 months already and using green tea shampoo....But my above post is made not in conjunction with my treatment...

vogs

Established Member
Reaction score
This is something that is usualy somewhat over looked. Age does without a doubt change our hair. It becomes thinner, more fragile and less dense. Does not always mean we are going bald.

The Gardener

Reaction score
It's my understanding that 'age-related' thinning or recession IS male pattern baldness.

Just because you have male pattern baldness doesn't mean you have to be on your way to an NW7. A lot of people have male pattern baldness, but only get to NW2 or 3.

G

The Gardener said:
It's my understanding that 'age-related' thinning or recession IS male pattern baldness.

Just because you have male pattern baldness doesn't mean you have to be on your way to an NW7. A lot of people have male pattern baldness, but only get to NW2 or 3.

I totally agree.

I think a lot of people think once they start receding a little they will eventually become nw7.

Age could be the cause if you wan to think of it that way but its still male pattern baldness.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I don't think a doctor would mis-diagnose this, as the symptoms of male pattern baldness are easy to identify.

If you have a receeding hairline, or 'high' temple recession, or a bald spot or developing bald spot, then you have male pattern baldness.

Or, if you have diffuse thinning, but only in the typical male pattern baldness area (i.e., the crown) and not on the sides, then you also have male pattern baldness.

Some people are lucky and only have a little recession, perhaps some high temples up to the day they die. Even though they didn't go completely bald, they still had male pattern baldness.