Can Aas Make You Lose Hair Despite No Family History Of male pattern baldness?

Thinning crown because of AAS?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, you’re overthinking. Get on with your life

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

NoFamilyHistoryOfMPB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Long thread, TLDR; 22yo Chinese Male, on first AAS cycle. No family history of baldness on both sides & always had a good head of hair. Noticed cowlick showed abit more scalp after haircut (barber thinned hair to ‘layer’ it), unsure if I have a thinning crown due to AAS usage or just paranoid & severely overthinking this (hope it’s this).

22yo ethnic Chinese male here. I’m currently 3 weeks into a 15 week AAS cycle and I was wondering if it is possible for it to make you bald despite not having a family history of male pattern baldness?

I’ve read about this on several fitness forums and there is conflicting information so I’m not even sure if those guys are trolling. Therefore, decided to come here and ask the experts.

I was wondering a lot about this because I took pictures of my hairline and crown 10 days into my AAS cycle and had a haircut 4 days ago where my barber thinned my hair to create layers and I noticed more scalp showing on my cowlick when I checked on it. Im prone to bouts of paranoia on this area of my head so it’s been freaking me out because I actually had a small bald spot about the diameter of a finger near my cowlick when I was 8 years old after I scratched out some hair because of severe dandruff. But my hair eventually regrew once I solved the dandruff and I’ve not had a bald spot there ever since.

I also have no family history of male pattern baldness. On my paternal side, my father and his 3 brothers are all in their 50s and 60s with NW0 hairlines that are thick and full. My grandfather died in his 80s with a full head of hair as well. My father and uncles inherited their hair type from my paternal grandmother who still has amazing hair along with her brothers who are all in their 80s who all have youthful hairlines with thick hair.

On my maternal side, my mother is in her 50s with a great hairline and thick hair. My maternal grandpa died in his 60s with a full head of hair as well, and his brother also has a full head of hair. My maternal grandma is in her 70s now and she still has thick hair with a good hairline.

About me, I personally inherited my father’s hair type (course, thick & dense) and my maternal grandpa’s hairline (I know this for sure because of all my ancestors, only he had a widow’s peak and we have nearly identical hairlines although I have a bigger forehead so my hairline looks higher). I would also like to add that I have patchy facial hair which could mean I have low DHT conversion (maybe?? Unsure about the science behind this). On top of this, I’ve always shed a noticeable amount but my shedding looks to be the same as before I started AAS.

Anyways, with my family history, I highly doubt that I have the male pattern baldness gene unless I am seriously unlucky and got totally screwed by genetic recombination. I just wanted to know if AAS could still make me lose hair? I’ve read that it won’t make you lose your hair if you aren’t genetically predisposed to it and I’ve ALSO read that it can make you lose your hair cuz of how it alters your hormones even if you don’t have the male pattern baldness gene.

I’ve attached before pictures that I took 10 days into my AAS cycle and after pictures that were taken 3 weeks in (I also had a haircut where the barber thinned my hair).

I know I’ve just written a huge wall of text and I would like to apologise for my ignorance (if any) as it is really scary to see more scalp while on AAS whilst having previously led a life where I did not once worry about hair loss. I hope I am severely overthinking this and have just been grossly misinformed by fitness forums and that my increased scalp show is simply due to shorter and layered hair (and possibly different lighting/angles as well) and that my crown & cowlick is fine.

Thanks for any replies. Cheers :)

Before pictures. (Side note, pictures taken with harsh yellow light is with partially blow dried hair)

Attachments

• FD209DCD-5452-4E56-AFCE-A4DDA45B2714.jpeg
    FD209DCD-5452-4E56-AFCE-A4DDA45B2714.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 83F67835-39E8-4166-B02B-D0679B2D4D57.jpeg
    83F67835-39E8-4166-B02B-D0679B2D4D57.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 178
  • F94701C3-BCCF-4F82-A539-A9FB68FC7B78.jpeg
    F94701C3-BCCF-4F82-A539-A9FB68FC7B78.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 2891B76D-1CE5-4324-9ABB-A2AD7B99924D.jpeg
    2891B76D-1CE5-4324-9ABB-A2AD7B99924D.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 660E21C4-AF9E-4C9D-B40E-D3EF8CE4EC7B.jpeg
    660E21C4-AF9E-4C9D-B40E-D3EF8CE4EC7B.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 9FDA76C4-8D9D-4BEA-9039-44FB2ECABAAE.jpeg
    9FDA76C4-8D9D-4BEA-9039-44FB2ECABAAE.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

NoFamilyHistoryOfMPB

My Regimen
Reaction score
After pictures, 3 weeks into AAS cycle. Taken in various lighting. Had a haircut. Shorter and layered hair. All pictures taken with air dried hair after a shower.

Attachments

• 25DD3485-9947-4B93-B1CD-74179A35684B.jpeg
    25DD3485-9947-4B93-B1CD-74179A35684B.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 89764785-02E5-4671-8DCC-569493B5B263.jpeg
    89764785-02E5-4671-8DCC-569493B5B263.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 5D3ED2B8-35F6-4AAF-84A8-CB7193ED468B.jpeg
    5D3ED2B8-35F6-4AAF-84A8-CB7193ED468B.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 47E8A672-3B59-44B6-86F0-4D8EEBCEE5AC.jpeg
    47E8A672-3B59-44B6-86F0-4D8EEBCEE5AC.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 59B8C7FC-DE74-46C4-809C-E972CC4F5044.jpeg
    59B8C7FC-DE74-46C4-809C-E972CC4F5044.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 164
  • C41B36F5-CDE9-4F96-B35F-553D3D7C7BC6.jpeg
    C41B36F5-CDE9-4F96-B35F-553D3D7C7BC6.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 153

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, wellcome to the forum
No problem in my opinion
It is a cowlick, but take care with dandruff and acne.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes AAS can cause male pattern baldness regardless of the history of your family.

NoFamilyHistoryOfMPB

My Regimen
Reaction score
I see. Is it permanent balding though if it isn’t genetic? And assuming it actually happens, if I stop soon enough will it come back?

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
I see. Is it permanent balding though if it isn’t genetic? And assuming it actually happens, if I stop soon enough will it come back?

From what I've read, once male pattern baldness starts (regardless if it is caused by AAS it won't stop until your slick bald), but I'm not sure, sorry.

What was your stack btw? Have you been using finasteride during your cycle?

Manny88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes AAS can cause male pattern baldness regardless of the history of your family.

Nonsense. Stop talking nonsense.

male pattern baldness is genetic. If he doesn't have the gene, no amount of synthetic test is going to cause hairless.

Manny88

My Regimen
Reaction score
If there is no male pattern baldness in your family, you're good to go!
male pattern baldness is a genetic condition, it can't be developed.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nonsense. Stop talking nonsense.

male pattern baldness is genetic. If he doesn't have the gene, no amount of synthetic test is going to cause hairless.

Alot of dht will cause male pattern baldness regardless of gene or not

NoFamilyHistoryOfMPB

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m only 3 weeks into my 15 week cycle. No, I do not have finasteride. I have some minoxidil on hand (I already use some for my patchy facial hair).

Currently
500mg test C every week
Primobolan 500mg but Im stopping this due to cost and efficiency reasons
Stano 160-200mg/week (Stopped this recently cuz of sides)
Clen 80mcg every training day which is 4-5 days/week
Ipamorelin (a GHRP), 5mg reconstituted with 3ml of sterilised water. 25iu injected SubQ twice a day on an empty stomach.

I have AI on hand but currently not using it as my estrogen is towards the lower end. I’ve planned for a standard Nolva 40/40/20/20 PCT.

In regards to this, wouldn’t you stop losing your hair once you’re off cycle assuming you don’t have the genetics and your DHT levels return to normal? And wouldn’t you regain said hair? Basically whatever hair loss that occurs on cycle is purely hormonal shedding?

I spoke to my coach regarding this and he said not to worry as he has experienced shedding whilst on high doses of tren and he still has thick NW0 hair and whatever hair lost on cycle comes back off cycle assuming you don’t have male pattern baldness genes. I am merely here to get a 2nd opinion.

Also, I don’t think I’m actually thinning. Someone above said I have a standard cowlick which was a huge relief to me. My shedding seems to be fairly standard so far.

I most likely won’t take finasteride anyway. DHT is an important hormone with many functions, only thing is it messes with your hair. Plus I don’t wanna risk the side effects of finasteride. It seems to be all over the board as to how it affects others.

Can someone redpill me on hair transplants and/or hair systems? I highly doubt it will happen to me, but IF I do experience serious hair loss that’s permanent, I will most likely opt for a surgical solution like hair transplant rather than finasteride.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you really do have no hair loss in your family on either side at all then there is nothing to be worried. With that being side the chances of that is very unlikely. Think about it this way. The majority of males (over 90%) have at least some kind of hair loss in old age. Your saying nobody in your family history has any hair loss what so ever in any generation, not even thinning in old age and not even any slightly receded hairline. So nobody going back in your family tree had any hair loss ever, they all had the same hair they had at 16 until death? The chances of that being true are really really low but its still possible. Some guys have very low androgen sensitivity in the scalp I mean look at Jay cutler.

There are people that come on this forum saying that they have no history of hair loss in their family but then ask why they are losing their hair. Its more likely that you have no known hair loss in your family or that the people in your family have lost such little hair that it isn't enough to make a cosmetically visible difference. It takes almost 50% of your hair to be gone in order to visually see a difference in your hair.

Also consider that those people in your family have most likely not have been exposed to a super physiological amount of androgen in the body at all like you will be. But if your family history of hair loss really is impeccably perfect and there is absolutely 0 androgen sensitivity in the scalp on either side of the family than you have nothing to worry about.

NoFamilyHistoryOfMPB

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am not sure about androgen sensitivity on the scalp. All of my family members do not have noticeable/visible hair loss, I have lots of pictures of them in their youth and their hair looks the same now in old age as when they were young (albeit with greying). All my male elders maintained NW0 into their old age. I have no known bald relatives. I was wondering if I had crown thinning which was already answered.

My question is this: even if I were to experience noticeable hair loss whilst being exposed to high amounts of androgens whilst on cycle, is it permanent when I very likely don’t have the gene for male pattern baldness? Or is it purely hormonal and my hair will regrow when my DHT levels return to normal once I’m off cycle.

And if it is permanent, can someone redpill me on hair transplant and/or hair systems? I do not want to mess around with pills knowing that I will have to be on them for life once I start.

I am new to this whole hair loss thing, as I stated before in OP, please forgive any ignorance of naïveté I may have regarding this subject as it is not intentional. I am merely here to educate myself further and gain knowledge on this subject as this forum seems very legit. Thanks.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're running a cycle you should def be on finasteride in my opinion. I'm certain every pro bodybuilder runs finasteride when they run a cycle.