Can a perm cause hair loss? It appears to have for me.

Chef Jeff

Reaction score
Hi all, just discovered this site and forum. So bear with me on this rather long post.

At 19 I got my first perm (I'm 49 now). All was well, and after it had mostly grown out, my hair was still thick, shiny, healthy and dark, dark brown at this point. This is where the fun begins. I got it cut and permed again. I noticed within a few weeks after, my hair had lightened considerably in color, was brittle and broke easily, tangled easily, split ends galore and came out in large numbers when I would run a comb or pick through it. I figured the perm damaged my hair, but no big deal, in a few months I was going in the Air Force and it was going to get shaved off. Figured it would grow back in normally.

It didn't. It grew back in and was still lighter in color than normal, the hair strands themselves were much thinner in diameter than they were prior to the second perm. Dry, brittle fly-away, you name it. I also noticed it was slightly thinner on top, like typical male pattern baldness, with no body. Over quite a few years it got thinner and thinner, til now it's basically just short hairs that never grow beyond about 1/2" to 1" in length, but oddly, black like my hair used to be. Hair on my head that will grow long (the "horse shoe"), is light in color, dry and brittle, etc. And I should point out, lightly tugging on it causes pain. Sometimes my scalp even feels like the follicles themselves just hurt, without even touching my hair or scalp.

I've tried many things, including Rogaine, with zero results. I will also mention I'm a smoker and my eating habits have always been poor at best; too many animal products, processed sugar, processed grains and sweet beverages. I've never eaten enough veg and fruit. I know the home page here says nutrition isn't a factor, but I have to call shenanigans on that. I've seen poor nutrition affect peoples hair (and skin) and be reversed when they get their act together nutritionally. I've struggled to do this, as well as quit smoking, for many years.

So I figured I would draw on the resources of this forum. My question is, has anybody here experienced this, or know anyone who has? Can a perm cause this type of damage and resultant loss of hair? If so, could it be reversed? I will say, I've mostly given up on growing back any hair or regaining the health of the hair I still have, but hope springs eternal as they say. Thanks for reading, I know it's a long post, but I figured I needed to be as complete in giving info as possible.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have heard that a perm cound damage your hair follicles but I think it is all about a family history of baldness and what your hair loss looks like (male pattern baldness).

Chef Jeff

Reaction score
I knew I forgot to mention something, thanks. There is no family history of hair loss. Not my dad, grandfather, brother, uncles, my son, nobody but me.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
oh....I guess the best option you've got is go to see a dermatologist to see if your hair loss is due to DHT attacking hair follicles (male pattern baldness) or something else. Mabye have them do some blood tests for you (DHT and testosterone blood test). Thyroid problem and vitamin D deficiency can cause hair loss too.

Marky Mark

Reaction score
Similar Experience

I had a perm 6 months ago (my first ever perm - big mistake!) and I am noticing the same hair characteristics as Chef Jeff - new growth hair has reduced in diameter, lighter hair colour, brittle. Also noticed a slight thinning of my hair on the top - could be due to the reduced diameter. The only positive sign is that my hair is not falling out excessively (have been checking the floors and bathroom floor like a mad man everyday). I am hoping desperately that my scalp and hair will recover soon and banking on my healthy lifestyle - I don't drink or smoke, and I exercise regularly. Has anyone else been through this 'phase' after having a perm done? Would like to know if the follicles have the ability to recover from damage from a perm.

Marky Mark

Reaction score
Possible Cause

Hi everyone, this is just an update on my situation. Saw a Trichologist today and found out that I had a huge portion of my right scalp and crown area inflammed! I had an inkling that I had burnt my scalp because of the perm, but not to this extent. And I certainly didn't expect the perm to have an effect on my scalp after 6 months! Trichologist told me that its possible for residual perm to be present on the the scalp causing this inflammation.

Had immediate treatment which was suppose to flush out residual perm and soothe the inflammation. Trichologist applied soothing cream and steam treatment (suppose to open the pores for the cream to penetrate) to my scalp and I felt immediate relief. Really did feel like the cream was penetrating my scalp and doing its job. Inflammation is still there (specifically on the right side and part of the crown) but reduced significantly in size. For the first time in 6 months, I can move my hair without feeling pain. Am going back for a followup and will update.

Also, I noticed a line on the back-right side of my scalp where hair was lacking.....found out that the inflammation extents exactly along this line.

Folks, be very careful what you put on your head. Sometimes it's not worth the risk.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is just an update on my situation. Saw a Trichologist today and found out that I had a huge portion of my right scalp and crown area inflammed! I had an inkling that I had burnt my scalp because of the perm, but not to this extent. And I certainly didn't expect the perm to have an effect on my scalp after 6 months! Trichologist told me that its possible for residual perm to be present on the the scalp causing this inflammation.

Had immediate treatment which was suppose to flush out residual perm and soothe the inflammation. Trichologist applied soothing cream and steam treatment (suppose to open the pores for the cream to penetrate) to my scalp and I felt immediate relief. Really did feel like the cream was penetrating my scalp and doing its job. Inflammation is still there (specifically on the right side and part of the crown) but reduced significantly in size. For the first time in 6 months, I can move my hair without feeling pain. Am going back for a followup and will update.

Also, I noticed a line on the back-right side of my scalp where hair was lacking.....found out that the inflammation extents exactly along this line.

Folks, be very careful what you put on your head. Sometimes it's not worth the risk.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22134564

[h=1]The role of inflammation and immunity in the pathogenesis of androgenetic alopecia.[/h]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23808570

Early stage alopecia areata is associated with inflammation in the upper dermis and damage to the hair follicle infundibulum.