Caloric Restriction and Androgens

SadSadd

Reaction score
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20096034

Calorie restriction (CR) slows aging and consistently reduces circulating sex hormones in laboratory animals. However, nothing is known regarding the long-term effects of CR with adequate nutrition on serum sex-hormone concentration in lean healthy humans. In this study, we measured body composition, and serum total testosterone, total 17-beta-estradiol, sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG), and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEA-S) concentrations in 24 men (mean age 51.5 +/- 13 years), who had been practicing CR with adequate nutrition for an average of 7.4 +/- 4.5 years, in 24 age- and body fat-matched endurance runners (EX), and 24 age-matched sedentary controls eating Western diets (WD). We found that both the CR and EX volunteers had significantly lower body fat than the WD volunteers (total body fat, 8.7 +/- 4.2%; 10.5 +/- 4.4%; 23.2 +/- 6.1%, respectively; P = 0.0001). Serum total testosterone and the free androgen index were significantly lower, and SHBG was higher in the CR group than in the EX and WD groups (P < or = 0.001). Serum 17beta-estradiol and the estradiol:SHBG ratio were both significantly lower in the CR and EX groups than in the WD group (P < or = 0.005). Serum DHEA-S concentrations were not different between the three groups. These findings demonstrate that, as in long-lived CR rodents, long-term severe CR reduces serum total and free testosterone and increases SHBG concentrations in humans, independently of adiposity. More studies are needed to understand the role of this CR-mediated reduction in sex hormones in modulating the pathogenesis of age-associated chronic diseases such as cancer and the aging process itself.

In short, SHBG goes up which takes care of DHT levels. Estrogen to SBHG ratio is lower helping possible thyroid related hair loss, and free testosterone levels drop, leaving less potential for DHT to be made in serum. I think one would do well to incorporate this into their lifestyle.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
I do know that fasting has so many benefits, but I am not sure it's going to do much for us. I have read stories not related to hair loss, but in general, of people that fast their entire lives. They have amazing health and all, but are still bald. So it's kinda evident that it's not going to stop it completely, but it may help. Seeing it how it helps just about any other aspect of your health, I would think it is the same for hair loss, IMO

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
My experience is opposite... I did alternate day fasting from mid-2010 to mid 2012 and in that time developed a lot of problems like acne (probably HIGH androgens) and my hair loss started + thyroid issue.
Not saying fasting caused the male pattern baldness but it definitely did not do anything to stop it.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
Caloric restriction doesn't mean fasting. Could very well have multiple meals a day, but always stop when you're like 75% satisfied. I also believe this kind of diet (like they often have in Japan, China, etc.) causes less spikes in blood sugar than fasting.

SadSadd

Reaction score
My experience is opposite... I did alternate day fasting from mid-2010 to mid 2012 and in that time developed a lot of problems like acne (probably HIGH androgens) and my hair loss started + thyroid issue.
Not saying fasting caused the male pattern baldness but it definitely did not do anything to stop it.

What Koga said. There is a big difference here. What I mean by caloric restriction is the Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition lifestyle like those over at CRSociety. Being meticulous about what you DO eat is essential. I find my hair doesn't itch as much and generally feels better when I'm eating on track with this.

- - - Updated - - -

I do know that fasting has so many benefits, but I am not sure it's going to do much for us. I have read stories not related to hair loss, but in general, of people that fast their entire lives. They have amazing health and all, but are still bald. So it's kinda evident that it's not going to stop it completely, but it may help. Seeing it how it helps just about any other aspect of your health, I would think it is the same for hair loss, IMO

Definitely. This isn't a solution in and of itself, but used in conjunction with other available treatments it can work synergistically.

- - - Updated - - -

Also a lot of what we eat effects hormone levels. For example, if one is to eat soy protein, it is a good idea to balance out the phytoestrogen present in soy foods with anti estrogen foods such as cruciferous vegetables and green tea, etc.