Calling it quits

DontWannaBeLikeMike

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I will be stopping my minoxidil. I have only frontal recession and i have been using this crap forever and it seems like there is no growth. So is it worth stopping?

Norwood2.5

Established Member
Reaction score
How long is "forever"? I just started in March 03 so I'll waitat least 5 more months. Maybe it also slows your hairloss which would occur anyway so in that case you shouldn't. Ultimately it's your decision.

DontWannaBeLikeMike

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been taking for about 1.5 years or so. Do you think it actually slows down hairloss? I am taking finasteride which I still plan on taking. The only reason I was going to stop minoxidil was that I dont see any noticeable results, my skin is flaky in that area where I apply it and it just gets to be a pain at times. Some guidance please.

Norwood2.5

Established Member
Reaction score
DontWannaBeLikeMike said:
I've been taking for about 1.5 years or so. Do you think it actually slows down hairloss?
There is no way to tell. According to scientific studies however, only some have regrowth, some less stabilization and for others it seems to do nothing at all. You and I may both have bad luck. I notice possibly fastened thinning at my temples and front but it hasn't been even a month, I have the feeling I'll lose the hair permanently but keep hoping it's just a shed. The way I look at it is: if I do nothing at all, I'll lose it for sure. If I do something on the other hand, I may get regrowth (not hoping on it), stabilization or losing at decreased speed. Or nothing at all, but that would occur anyway.

Hotlegs

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been taking for about 1.5 years or so. Do you think it actually slows down hairloss? I am taking finasteride which I still plan on taking. The only reason I was going to stop minoxidil was that I dont see any noticeable results, my skin is flaky in that area where I apply it and it just gets to be a pain at times. Some guidance please.

I would have stopped minoxidil as well had I not changed to Dr Lee's formula, it was a pain in the *** waiting at least a couple of hours for the stuff to dry each application, but the 10 minutes drying time and non-greasy formula make a big big difference. I never miss an application now because you can splash the stuff on 15 minutes before going out and it's pretty much dry by then.

Are you using Nizoral / TGel in the areas that have become flaky ?

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Its not that good for frontal problems and is likely to cause inflammation you don't want so drop the sh*t or add an anti-inflammation product.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
stay on the minoxidil, and stay on the finasteride. they will more than likely be saving your hair/decreasing the hairloss speed. remember, whatever gains or lack of gains you see will be balanced with the speed of your loss. the finasteride and minoxidil put together could simply be combatting the hair youre already losing.

maybe have a trial period of a few weeks or a month or 2 without minoxidil, and see how it goes. but i warn you, almost everyone ive ever read on this forum in the last 1 1/2 years who stopped minoxidil for a brief time has deeply regretted it, and lost a lot.

i guess its a thing for life.

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DontWannaBeLikeMike, I guess the big question that I'd ask is...have you noticed that your hair loss has stopped? Although I do not use the stuff, I've heard some awesome reports about how it has helped to either slow down or even stop the hair loss. I guess I'd say, think a little more about it before stopping it completely.

circusrat

Reaction score
I have some asymmetrical thinning on my hairline. On the side that looks mostly fine but is slowly and methodically receding at the temple... the minoxidil doesn't seem to do anything. On the side that suddenly and massively lost density and turned into whispy lifeless hair in the matter of a few months, minoxidil works. The hair is growing in like a champ.

hairlines erode over time, I think its mapped genetically and there is absolutely no way to stop it. I think if you compare a highschool photo and a shot of a man in his late 20's... 80-90% will have higher temples. I almost think this type of hair loss isn't even male pattern baldness, its just natural progression. Crown loss and getting into the norwood 3 stuff I think is where your fight can really start.

just my opinion.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Stay on the minoxidil as it does slow hairloss. Last thing you want now is a minoxidil shed and a propecia shed at the same time..I had one of those and it nearly killed me it was so bad. All i had to do was sneeze and 10 hair came out.

I would reccomend that at worse you cut down to applying it 1X a day.

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DO NOT QUIT minoxidil.

I used for 5 months and then quit coz of puffed face and I also thought it was not helping me.

Took 2 hrs to dry.

BIG MISTAKE. I LOST A LOT OF HAIR AFTER QUITTING. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

goingoinbutnotgone

Established Member
Reaction score
I quit 2 weeks ago. I have had new hair GROWING ever since I started the essential oil treatment.

I know some of you disreguarded what I said, but the shed has not returned and the new hairs are now long enough to comb!

Eziv

Reaction score
i've been putting on a hat after i apply it, becuase it makes my hair look kinda bad being damp.. does anyone see any potential problem with this?

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nexus81 said:
DO NOT QUIT minoxidil.

I used for 5 months and then quit coz of puffed face and I also thought it was not helping me.

Took 2 hrs to dry.

BIG MISTAKE. I LOST A LOT OF HAIR AFTER QUITTING. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

But you got your face back to normal.

Seems like a good trade off to me.

Minoxidil has nothing to do with slowing hair loss down. It does not affect the fundamental balding process.

The only reason to use minoxidil it is to provide an offset of extra hair growth, above and beyond what you would normally have without it.