Calling All Men With Hair Loss And Scalp Acne...please Tell Me Your Story

Suswang

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, all.

Brief bio: 41yo male who has had acne to one extent or another for 25 years and would now describe the condition as mild. About one year ago, I noticed that I was losing my hair, had scalp acne (pustules), and also a mild scalp odor, despite the fact that I was shampooing every day. I also suffer from a mild case of sebaceous hyperplasia, barely noticeable rosacea, and have very sensitive skin. Neither my father nor mother's father had hair loss, for what it's worth.

For the past several years, I've followed a very healthy diet, that is basically Paleo, although I probably consume a bit more carbohydrate.

Although my stress levels are high, and I don't sleep as much as I should, I am convinced that something else is causing my hair/scalp issues. I have been to two dermatologists who are alopecia experts. One said I should try very low dose isotretinoin (Accutane) and that my hair loss was tied to my acne issues -- i.e., most likely not androgenic, per se. Another expert used trichoscopy and said it was definitely androgenic alopecia. She said isotretinoin could help, but was less optimistic about it than the first. My blood work has all come back normal, including hormones, but perhaps I have neglected to get tested for something in particular.

Head and Shoulders and weekly Nizoral 2% have clearly not done enough. I am now trying low-dose aspirin to see if that will work to curb some of the inflammation, which I may give up in favor of fish oil. I want to start using minoxidil but have tried in earnest to figure out what is causing my issues with excessive sebum production.

I would be most interested in hearing from others with similar conditions (hair loss coupled with either acne, scalp acne, or all of the above) and what you've done to address things. Have any dermatologists told you that the conditions were all related?

Thank you.

Quest

My Regimen
Reaction score
get on something with zinc pyrithione, I use the noble line on amazon. if you cycle your shampoos/medications, the inflammation will stay at bay, but they do lose effectiveness over time, so you must be cycling.

I use a zinc shampoo, OTC keto, and a tea tree oil and it stops by awful psoriasis, seb derm and general scalp irritation/inflammation. diet is a big one too, cut out those carbs and live low stress.

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What was the low dose that was recommended to you ? Something like a 10mg 2-3 times a week ?

Johannes Johnson

My Regimen
Reaction score
We seem to have a similar case. I had acne as a teenager and was prescribed minocycline. After I got off of it is when my hair loss begun. I have mild rosacea too currently with basically no acne. I also used to have dry flaky skin around my eyebrows and chin just under my facial hair. It randomly comes and go but I massage my face with oils to help. On my scalp whenever I massage it, I can feel flaky patches coming off and sometimes I will have acne bumps and itches. Im also a diffuse thinner. What do you guys think I should do? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Suswang

Established Member
Reaction score
Johannes:
Is your diet really good?
I already eat very healthily, but perhaps I am just really sensitive to omega-6 fatty acids, or something else(?), and need to follow an even stricter diet? Other than that, I am not sure what else I can do besides very low dose isotretinoin to address my skin issues.

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had a scalp acne problem for a very long time now ..... I'd say since 2007. In fact I had a flair up this week, which are typically on the lower backside of my head or on the lower sides. They're always painful too.

I've never gone to any skin doctors. There was a period where I was using Head & Shoulders with Zinc, which seemed to keep it at bay for a good while. I then switched to a paraben-free shampoo with Tea Tree and Buckthorn Oil, as well as a coconut milk-based conditioner ..... but it's back. I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but I notice it a lot if I ever binge on processed carbs.

Always wondered if it's contributing to my diffused thinning and receding hairline.

Last edited:

Suswang

Established Member
Reaction score
Schitz Popinov: what facial skin conditions do you have? Any acne, rosacea or seb dermatitis?

shookwun

Reaction score
I believe most people shampoo with either T gel, nizoral or head and shoulders.

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
Schitz Popinov: what facial skin conditions do you have? Any acne, rosacea or seb dermatitis?

Rarely get facial acne on my face, but when I do it's usually painful like on my scalp. Neutregena's face wash w/salicylic acid has really helped me keep it under control - especially on other parts of my body. I "manscape" so it helps keep my chest/arms from breaking out too. I do tend to get oily in the T-area, specifically nose.

I don't know how to explain this, but I feel like the bulbous part of my nose is looking so inflamed/swollen. I never had a small nose to begin with, but I see pictures of myself sometimes and I just can't help by feel something is going on. My face tends to puff up a lot too.

I've also had really bad nasal congestion for years. I'll commonly wake up in the morning and the airways are almost completely closed off, with the pathway crusted up.