Brief intro, questions about propecia and hair transplants

TheDuder

Reaction score
Hi fellas, I'm a 24 year old guy who has had some experience with hair thinning... I've probably noticed it since I was 18-19 years old and when I told family members and friends they just laughed at me because my hair was still so thick. Needless to say, I noticed the regression and it worried me for quite some time.

Anyway, this past year I've finally decided to take action, as my hair has now noticably thinned. So I've been taking Propecia now since January and experienced what I believe was a shedding period in February. Since then, I'm not sure of the results as I have not documented them, but it seems like when I step into and out of the shower there's less hair sitting on my towel and the basin of the shower, so I believe this is a good sign.

One thing I have noticed by lurking this forum is that the success rate for Propecia is much lower than the studies suggest among the users here... that's quite alarming and sad to hear. Additionally, it doesn't seem to help in restoring the hair at the frontal area/hairline at all. Is this true for all people?

Finally, this relates to the topic of transplants but I figured I'd just throw it out here. Since I was born I was blessed with a less than desirable hairline, though by no means exceptionally bad. It's about an inch higher than I'd say I'd like to be. I'm curious if there is anybody out there who has actually done a hair transplant to put hair where there was none before? If so, was there success?

Long post, hopefully it isn't too much of a strain to read.

Thanks!

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
It's definitely true that your mileage may very when it comes to propecia. There's a decent chance it might help to maintain your hairline, but any significant regrowth is unlikely. You may try minoxidil on the hairline, though. That might give some regrowth if you're lucky, although it's probably more effective on the crown. With regards to transplants, you're still quite young, with probably most of your hair loss ahead of you. So going overboard with a low hairline now is likely to give problems later, i.e. you run out of donor hair so you can't cover the crown. Teenage hairline + bald crown is a very unnatural look. If you're even more unlucky you might get significant hair loss on the upper part of the sides/back of your head, too.