Boxing

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a punch bag at all?

I'm thinking that this could be a good way to get fit and great for stress as well.

The freestanding ones are interesting:-

149520185443673908073422860470301941681.jpg

but I'm thinking that they would topple over easily, even if filled with 350Ib of sand.

jarednz

Reaction score
I train as a boxer and it is very good for fitness and stress relief. I havn't used free standing punching bags as we have hanging ones but I'll try to help you.

I would assume that the free standing ones would be designed to not topple over, otherwise they wouldn't be very popular...

A few things to note:

If you just punch the bag with your bare hands you can do serious damage to your wrists as they can bend easily. You should wrap your hands in bandages and use proper gloves. You can buy specially made bandages from boxing shops or just use some from a drug store. I wouldn't recommend using 'bag gloves' that you can buy for $20, these are sh*t and don't protect your wrists.

You should also learn how to punch. If you punch the bag wrong you could do serious damage to your wrists and hands. My coach (60 years boxing experience) says that you should connect with your 3 outside knuckles, ie. not the index finger knuckle. And you should try to punch straight and through the bag, not the bag itself.

My wrists were very sore for the first few weeks as I had not done a lot of punching. Now after a few months all of my joints (fists, wrists, elbows, shoulders) feel the strongest and healthiest they ever have.

A typical bag routine (to simulate an amature fight, 2min rounds, 30 seconds rest):

20 seconds jabbing
10 seconds hard punching combinations
20 seconds jabbing
20 seconds jabbing
20 seconds jabbing

30 seconds rest, then repeat and repeat and repeat for as many rounds as you can. My coach typically waits until I am sucking in big breaths and then makes me do 2 more rounds. After this you know that you have had a workout.

When you are doing the 10 seconds hard punching combinations you are punching as HARD as you can. Here are a few combinations you could start with (I will assume you are orthodox and not southpaw):
Left striaght, right straight
Left straight, right straight, right straight
Left straight, left body shot, left hook

If you are not wanting to actually learn how to fight, hitting the bag as hard and as fast as you can should be fine for the 10 seconds hard punching.

In the 20 second jabs you don't want to give your opponent a rest but you need to get your breath back and set your opponent up for your next attack. Lots of moving and lots of jabs should be thrown in this time.

I realise that you arn't actually wanting to learn how to fight but you can give your legs a work out at the same time. If you just stand in one spot your arms will get tired but your body won't have actually had a work out.

Hope this helps you out. If you have anymore questions I'll be happy to answer them.

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jarednz said:
I train as a boxer and it is very good for fitness and stress relief. I havn't used free standing punching bags as we have hanging ones but I'll try to help you.

I would assume that the free standing ones would be designed to not topple over, otherwise they wouldn't be very popular...

A few things to note:

If you just punch the bag with your bare hands you can do serious damage to your wrists as they can bend easily. You should wrap your hands in bandages and use proper gloves. You can buy specially made bandages from boxing shops or just use some from a drug store. I wouldn't recommend using 'bag gloves' that you can buy for $20, these are $#iT and don't protect your wrists.

You should also learn how to punch. If you punch the bag wrong you could do serious damage to your wrists and hands. My coach (60 years boxing experience) says that you should connect with your 3 outside knuckles, ie. not the index finger knuckle. And you should try to punch straight and through the bag, not the bag itself.

My wrists were very sore for the first few weeks as I had not done a lot of punching. Now after a few months all of my joints (fists, wrists, elbows, shoulders) feel the strongest and healthiest they ever have.

A typical bag routine (to simulate an amature fight, 2min rounds, 30 seconds rest):

20 seconds jabbing
20 seconds jabbing
20 seconds jabbing
20 seconds jabbing

30 seconds rest, then repeat and repeat and repeat for as many rounds as you can. My coach typically waits until I am sucking in big breaths and then makes me do 2 more rounds. After this you know that you have had a workout.

When you are doing the 10 seconds hard punching combinations you are punching as HARD as you can. Here are a few combinations you could start with (I will assume you are orthodox and not southpaw):
Left striaght, right straight
Left straight, right straight, right straight
Left straight, left body shot, left hook

If you are not wanting to actually learn how to fight, hitting the bag as hard and as fast as you can should be fine for the 10 seconds hard punching.

In the 20 second jabs you don't want to give your opponent a rest but you need to get your breath back and set your opponent up for your next attack. Lots of moving and lots of jabs should be thrown in this time.

I realise that you arn't actually wanting to learn how to fight but you can give your legs a work out at the same time. If you just stand in one spot your arms will get tired but your body won't have actually had a work out.

Hope this helps you out. If you have anymore questions I'll be happy to answer them.

Wow! Cheers for the detailed reply bud.

Much appreciated.

:pint:

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Great post Jared. I've been thinking of getting a bag myself so that's some very useful info.

One other question though: roughly speaking, what weight bag is it worth getting? I'd be hanging it from a ceiling joist so it isn't an issue in that respect, only in how heavy a bag it's sensible to punch. I don't know if this helps you to answer but I'm about 180lbs, fairly strong from regular weight training, but have no boxing experience.

Thanks,
Slarti

ps. Cheers for posing the question Red Rose.

jarednz

Reaction score
A little background info:
I'm 6'3, 165 pounds approximately. Lanky/skinny build, trying to get the motovation to start working out at the gym. I wouldn't describe myself as being strong or athletic.

I'm not sure of the weights but we have 3 kinds of bags at my boxing gym. Hard, medium and soft.

The soft bag is pointless. If you punch it, it goes flying and makes combinations impossible. I don't even know why we have it.

The hard bags are good but if I punch it too hard and use it for a long time my hands are a bit sore the next day. This pain isn't anything serious. I goto university and can write fine, type on the computer etc. It's more of a discomfort.

I normally chose the medium bag. It has a good weight but for some reason it's not as hard as the hard bags to punch. It moves around a bit more than the hard bag but I can still do all the combinations I need to.

I am pretty busy with my life and university at the moment but I might be going to boxing tonight. Next time I'm at the gym I will see if the bags have their weights written on them.

If you don't want to buy gloves I would suggest a soft bag. The one in our gym is so soft little kids punch it fine with bare hands.

The heavier the bag, the more resistant it's going to be and the harder the workout will be.

It's a pretty hard question to answer. I would suggest trying the different bags out and seeing what feels best. Wherever you are buying it from should have some examples to try out. If not, go to your local gym/boxing gym and ask to use theirs for a few minutes. Everyone I have met in my boxing community has been really helpful so I'm sure you'd be able to get some good advice in your area.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
jarednz said:
I'm 6'3, 165 pounds approximately. Lanky/skinny build
I'm positively stocky by comparison - about 5 inches shorter but 15lbs heftier.

Thanks for the bag info. I'll have a look for somewhere to try a few out - though I'd still be interested to know the weight of your gym's bags, if it's stated.

Cheers again,
Slarti

jarednz

Reaction score
Sorry my life is busy at the moment so I havn't had time to goto the gym. Next time I go I will have a look for you though.

I would guess that they are about 30 kg (65 lbs). I watched two solid guys try to put one up and they struggled but worked it out eventually.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
No need to apologize for being busy. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my posts.

From what I've seen, 30 to 40kg seems like quite a common weight for the bags sold to the keep-fit market - I just need to find a shop that has some hittable ones on display.

Cheers,
Slarti

jarednz

Reaction score
I went to the gym on Monday. The bags are so old that any markings have rubbed off. I tried to lift the heaviest one (the one that feels like you're hitting a concrete wall) and it felt like it was about 50kg. I suggest you get a 30 to 40kg one as they seem like the most common.

Def

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree - top posting Jared - couldn't agree more.

I only have one comment to make in addition and that's in relation to your statement about not punching with bare knuckles... I don't necessarily agree. If you want to be a boxer or don't want a little pain, sure, but no pain, no gain as they say...

I have been doing martial arts for about 5 years now, train on everything from focus mits right through to the 150kg heavy bags. Everything i do is bare knuckle / foot. We do everything on our bare knuckles - 300 push ups, hand stands, bag work, sparring - everything. All i can say is that it is great "conditioning" for your knuckles. Sure they will callous up a bit at first, however, pretty soon you won't even notice.

The benefit of bare knuckle training is mainly practical - i mean if you train for fitness and to defend yourself, then having soft knuckles isn't going to be much use. Had my sensae spar with a regional boxing champ recently - sensae punched his hands twice and the boxer couldn't go on!!

Anyway. This probably won't mean much to most and is just my 2 cents but don't write off bare-knuckle bag work. Good technique is paramount and the knuckle push ups really help to strengthen those wrists.

Train hard, train well and stay fit. That cut boxing physique will help you get girls quicker than any head of hair will.

Later lads

Def

PS Oh - and if you want to check out the martial art i do, go to http://www.combatkempo.com

Some good pics of my sensae int he "Personal Training" link. Everything from counter-attack, empty hands, to knife fighting. Check it out.

jarednz

Reaction score
Yeah I agree that strong knuckles and hands are an advantage in a bare knuckle fight. It all depends on what you want to get out of your training.

I'm guessing it took a while to build yourself up to the level that you are at now. But even with gloves on you are not completely protected. I have guys who I box with that have still managed to rip their knuckles open. I think it's all about conditioning your knuckles at a pace that they can handle.

Right now my hands and knuckles feel as strong and as firm as they ever have.

I was just trying to suggest the safest way to train that I knew to get the results I thought he wanted :)

I believe your comment about the boxer vs bare knuckle fighter, but I don't want to be able to smash everyone that I meet. To be a good fighter you have to have a balance of all fighting styles, and I don't have time for that! I just want to be able to hold my own against the wannabe jocks that start sh*t over nothing. I find that people who know how to fight don't start fights. The people that feel like they have something to prove are the ones that act like the big men out on the town. It's fun to put them in their place :)

Def

Established Member
Reaction score
Couldn’t agree with you more, mate. I, for one, have never been in a fight (other than sparring with my training buddies) and hopefully will never need to. It is awesome having the knowledge within yourself that you can step up if required though.

My knuckles actually took no time at all to condition. They were sore and grazed for the first few weeks of my training after which they quickly calloused up.

As I said earlier, your comments and advice were quite right – it all depends upon what you want to achieve. I “fellâ€￾ into Kempo when I came across it by accident at the gym and now, years later, it’s something I love doing. Without doubt, both boxing and martial arts (gloved or not) are great fitness training regimes, as well as confidence boosters.

Def

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
jared, I'm thinking of taking up boxing to get fit and learn how to defend myself. What would the first few months be like, mostly punching bags or would I be sparring and taking punches to my face?

jarednz

Reaction score
It all depends on your coach. Before I started boxing I was told that you don't spar for your first year of training. But my coach had me sparing on my 2nd day at the gym and I have spared everytime since then. You just have to make sure that the person you are sparing with knows your skill level and goes easy on you.

If you don't like getting hit in the face I wouldn't suggest any sparing because even though you're not trying to hurt each other, it does happen. I have accidentally given myself blood noses and fat lips by moving forward as someone is punching me softly. But it doesn't happen too often.

rockandroll

Reaction score
Getting back to the free-standing punching bags...As another martial artist with years (almost 20) of experience behind, I can tell you that free-standing punching bags suck. Go for the standard ones, either for punching or kicking practice.

lithebod

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been using a freestanding bag for a few weeks now and I think its awesome as a cardio workout (which is why I bought it) plus Ive really noticed an improvement in my punching technique (which may come in handy depending on which area you live in) -

Im in the UK and I bought the Golds Gym tube trainer for about 150 quid - very easy to put together and the best thing about it is the spring mechanism at the base - the harder you punch it the faster it springs back at you which is better then my bro's static freestanding punchbag - very easy to contstruct too - just fill the biatch with water in the base (there is no way it is going to topple over as it gets VERY heay) and start giving it a beating straight away - much better then my boring treadmill workouts of the past.

Ive nicknamed mine "spongebob"

ronaldkia

Established Member
Reaction score
well, when it comes to boxing, nobody knows more then me. Im 2 times national golden gloves champion, former personal trainer, 3 times canadian and 2 times german champion, and i was sparring partner to Alex Shultz in Germany...

so il tell you, i would definately recommend buying a punching bad for your house, as it is proven to be one of the most effective stress busters in the world. Word to your mother.

rockandroll

Reaction score
You know, I'd be careful with those statements. Both Julio César Chávez and George Foreman have been known to visit these forums often :D