Body Hairs To Head Transplant! Is It Worth It?

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had 4900 grafts in total. About 3800 were from my head and the rest were beard and chest hair for added density. I always planned for 2 procedures so they didn't want to risk over harvesting for the first op. Even with "just" 3800 grafts taken from the back of my head, you can certainly notice it is now thinner there when my hair is very short on the back and sides.
Assuming your second planned procedure is for covering the crown and middle, isnt it make more sense to take the quality donor grafts for the front, and use the body hair for the rest? why saving donor?

Buzzer247

My Regimen
Reaction score
Assuming your second planned procedure is for covering the crown and middle, isnt it make more sense to take the quality donor grafts for the front, and use the body hair for the rest? why saving donor?

Yes second op is crown and mid scalp, that's right.

You cant just rely on body and beard hair to do my second op. The crown is technical compared to the front and you need hair that has the same properties as head hair ideally.

Most of the premium hair has been used on the front in any event.

Canuto

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes second op is crown and mid scalp, that's right.

You cant just rely on body and beard hair to do my second op. The crown is technical compared to the front and you need hair that has the same properties as head hair ideally.

Most of the premium hair has been used on the front in any event.
If you have more beard grafts, use those for the crown. They usually work pretty well and they tend to become like proper capital hairs after 18-24 months.
My surgeon showed me that if you harvest body hairs, you will have some small white scars where the hairs have been harvested. I don't know if you feel comfortable with it, but I would never do it.

Last edited:

Buzzer247

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good to know. I've not got any scars at all. Also have a hairy chest so wouldn't really notice.

Id also be more bothered by thin hair than tiny white scars so if I was short on grafts I'd use chest hair. That said, there's no right or wrong and it's a personal choice of course.

Koolbite

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have more beard grafts, use those for the crown. They usually work pretty well and they tend to become like proper capital hairs after 18-24 months.
My surgeon showed me that if you harvest body hairs, you will have some small white scars where the hairs have been harvested. I don't know if you feel comfortable with it, but I would never do it.

Why would there be scars on the body on not on the face with beard hair ?

What i read is that beard hair were conserving their different aspects. Here is the article : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3745096/

It would be a game changer to learn that they actually tend to become more like scalp hair. In this case using beard hair would be worth it for me as i don't like to let my beard grow anyway.

Then you could use the scalp donor hair for the hairline and a mix of beard & scalp hair to fill in. I was also wondering if an alternative could be to use scalp hair on the hairline/front and then beard hair to fill back the donor. Would tansplanting beard hair damage native surrounding hair from the donor zone ?
I know it sounds an unconventional crazy procedure but if the result is to get your temples back without having a thined donor it could be interesting to know if it's feasible. Also, i don't know, i feel that i would care less to have beard hair on the back of my head than on the front..

jared garnith

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder how body hair would respond to minoxidil or pge2 after being transplanted, as minoxidil can thicken beard hair too idk why people would degrade their facial collagen for a bigger beard. I also wanted to know if there have been follicle extraction from normal facial hair on the face rather the neck?

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Body & beard hair grafting has been tried for decades. Body hair has never worked very well. Beard hair is a bit better.

The hair characteristics gradually do become more scalp-like in a few cycles (it takes years) but that transformation only ever goes about halfway.

IIRC the cycling of scalp & body hairs is also different. The same number of body follicles (as a scalp hair transplant) will end up being in their dormant stage for more of the time (than scalp hairs). I'm not positive but I think this was the case.

The best possible result with body hair = the coverage is about as dense as they were covering in their original body/beard location. But even that requires a pretty serious dense packing job with the body grafts (read: expensive as hell).

Most transplant docs would say body hair grafts are a last resort. Leave it for guys trying to repair unnatural-looking bad transplant work. They get to the point where their scalp supply is totally exhausted, and they are still ready to pay any price to put a little more density on top.