Blood Test Results, Prior To Considering Propecia

Hounddog

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for some help from the experts on this site before I consider taking Propecia. Apologies for the length of this post but I think it's best to give a detailed background.
I am a 35 year man who has had diffuse hair since I was 16. My father was bald before he was 30 and it runs on both sides of the family.From the age of 18 I used Regaine solution and moved onto the foam when that was released. It never really thickened my hair but i think it has helped me maintain to a degree over the years.

Over the last 2 years I have noticed a drastic increase in shedding (hairs on pillow, excess amounts of hair in my hand every time shower and had to stop using hair gels/wax as it was far too depressing seen all the hairs stuck on my hands). I am not on the norwood scale and just have diffuse thinning all over and it looks pretty patchy.

I have been to a trichologist and my doctor and they think it is male pattern baldness (Thyroid tested and other factors ruled out).
Over the last 2 years I have seen 3 separate doctors at my practice about this as it is having a profound effect on my mental well being. One just laughed and told me to blame my dad for his genes, the other said he'd prescribe me Propecia (never had done so before and when I asked about side effects, he just opened up a manual and read the normal blurb of 2%, and will stop if cease taking etc). The other doctor said she'd be reluctant to prescribe it to me as have a history of depression and due to the risk of side effects.

As I was petrified of the side effects, the trichologist suggested i try taking Saw Palmetto to see if responded well to that as is a weaker DHT blocker. Caustiously, I decided to take the lowest dose I could buy (80mg) and proceeded to take one tablet every other day. The first week I had some testicular pain which disappeared after, then around the 4 month mark, the testicular pain came back and almost over night I experienced a complete loss of libido. I was unable to get an erection at all. I went to the doctors and was told that it was due to rising Estrogen levels and I should stop taking the supplement and things should get back to normal in a month or so. It took around 5 weeks but thankfully things did get back to normal.

Since then the hair loss has continued, I still use Regaine, as well a Dermaroller and selection of vitmamin supplements. It's getting to the stage where I'm getting desperate and as reluctant as I am about taking Propecia and aware of how dangerous it could potentially be, I'm almost ready to try it.

I decided to take a blood test first to see what my hormone levels were like, and these were the results -

upload_2017-2-27_13-24-16.png

They all came back within range but I was a bit concerned about that by testosterone levels were on the low side. I was wondering whether this would further my chances of experiencing side effects?

I wish I didn't care about hair loss, but as all of us on here, it's a really big deal and it's not vanity, it's a real psycological hammer blow. I am almost as envious of the care free, confident bald guys as I am of those with a full head of hair. I know taking Propecia is a complete lottery but I want to try make as an informed decision as possible.

Thanks

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are no rigorous demonstrations in the literature linking either propecia effectiveness or propecia side effects to blood parameters. All you'll find and all you'll get is speculation and bro science.

It's sad to say but there's no way for you to precisely predict if this drug will help you.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Saw palmetto is basically a weaker finasteride, if that didn't work for you, it seems unlikely that finasteride will work for you.

I recommend either the S5 cream from this site or black market RU 58841.

Hounddog

My Regimen
Reaction score
Saw palmetto is basically a weaker finasteride, if that didn't work for you, it seems unlikely that finasteride will work for you.

I recommend either the S5 cream from this site or black market RU 58841.
Thanks for your reply. I kind of figured as much. It's very frustrating. Can S5 cream be purchased in the UK?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I kind of figured as much. It's very frustrating. Can S5 cream be purchased in the UK?

I don't know.

If you'r afraid of sides from finasteride, you might try starting at a low dose, say 0.20 mg/day. It's proven to be effective in helping hair at that dose. Whether or not you get lower dose is unknown and untested.

Hounddog

My Regimen
Reaction score
If I ever do decide to take the plunge then I will definitely micro dose, 0.25 EOD or twice a week. Give it a few months and if get sides then will stop right away

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just don't kill yourself with worries over it. I think your plan is not bad.

Hounddog

My Regimen
Reaction score
Cheers pal. That's the thing though, I find myself worrying about it 24/7, to an obsessive degree. I don't think I'm in the right mindset to take Propecia just yet, as I could not relax thinking that I may be messing up my hormones, body and mental health for good. It will come to a point whereby I will just reach acceptance or will get so stressed and upset by it that I will feel like I don't have a choice and end up taking the plunge. It's a sad state of affairs.