Blade Runner - Is Deckard a Replicant?

Is Deckard a Replicant

• Total voters

The Gardener

Reaction score
Any Blade Runner fans out there? I had the itch to watch the movie again this evening, and I just thought I'd toss out this question to see if anyone here had an opinion on it.

I don't think that this changes the overall plot of the movie at all, but, there are some little clues and innuendos in the film that make you wonder about it. Personally, I'm convinced that he IS a replicant, and in the viewing last night, I found what I think is an irrefutable clue that Deckard's a "skin job".

Sean68

Reaction score
Ive never seen it....i know...or the wizard of oz. my mate loves it though and he thinks so too so ill put in a vote for him

Petchsky

Reaction score
Deckhard is Harrison Ford's character? - i think it was left open, but i think he was.

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
I think there is definite room to go either way, which I feel was the intention. That being said, however, one thing pushes me onto the IS a replicant side; the fact that Edward James Olmos' character appears to know Deckard's secret dream (the unicorn) indicates that his memories are implanted.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Yeah, the Olmos/unicorn thing is what most people point to when claiming that Deckard is a replicant. The funny thing is that, I've seen the film countless times and last night I noticed something completely new that made me think Deckard is a replicant.

It was in the scene where Rachel (the Sean Young character) comes over to Deckard's apartment. If you recall, Rachel is the very attractive female replicant that worked in Tyrell's office. Well, there is a scene where she sits down at the piano in Deckards apartment and shuffles through some old pictures that Deckard had lying on the sheet music holder. The pictures look like old and aged photos of a woman... and it hit me... the photos looked JUST like Sean Young/Rachel.

I was wondering if anyone else catched it as well.

Of course, the insinuation would be that Deckard had implanted memories of a female family member (a mother?) who looked just like Rachel. And, Tyrell often used his own family members as sources of imagery for his creations and for his memory implantations... meaning that Rachel, and Deckards memory of a female relative in the picture were both created based on some female person in Tyrell's family.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
It's been a few years since I've seen it last; but now that you mention it I do remember noting something about a picture like that; it could very well be what your talking about.

Edit: I am starting to remember more now; I think it wasn't just that the pic looked like Sean Young; it was that I think that exact same picture was seen elsewhere in the movie; in a collection of some other replicants stuff; indicative that not only is harrison ford a replicant, but that some (or all) of the replicants were given nearly identical false memories.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Here's a screen shot I found. The pictures on Deckard's piano, I drew the red arrow to point to one of the most visible pictures:

Sean Young? Of course the hair and clothing are different than Rachel's, but, in this "scenario", it would be the face that would have been the "inspiration" for the implanted memory.

If true, it might explain why the movie seemed to make a point of the photos, and why Rachel seemed to stare at them so intently:

brsm_rachael_at_piano.jpg

oni

Reaction score
[edit] Was Deckard a replicant?
Main article: Themes in Blade Runner
Blade Runner's dark paranoid atmosphere – and multiple versions of the film – adds fuel to the speculation and debate over this issue.

In the book, Rick Deckard (the main character) is at one point tricked into following an andy, who believes himself to be a police officer, to a faked police station. Deckard then escapes and "retires" some andys there before returning to his own police station. However, Deckard takes the Voigt-Kampff (different spelling) test and it fails to indicate that he is an android.

Harrison Ford, who played Deckard in the film, has said that he did not think Deckard was a replicant, and also states he and the director had discussions that ended in the agreement that the character was human. However, according to director Ridley Scott, Deckard is indeed a replicant.[2] He collects photographs, seen crowding over his piano, yet has no obvious family, beyond a reference to his ex-wife (who called him cold fish). Furthermore in the Director's Cut police officer Gaff (played by Edward James Olmos) leaves Rick Deckard an origami Unicorn a day after Rick dreamed of one. Just before Deckard finds the unicorn, Gaff says to him in passing, "It's too bad she [Rachael] won't live...then again, who does?". A unicorn can also be seen briefly in a scene in J. F. Sebastian's home, amongst scattered toys (to the right of a sleeping Sebastian, while Pris snoops around his equipment).

Paul Sammon, author of Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner, has suggested in interviews that Deckard may be a Nexus-7, a next-generation replicant who possesses no superhuman strength or intelligence, but brain implants that complete the human illusion. This view is shared by Ridley Scott. [3] Sammon also suggests that Nexus-7 replicants may not have a preset lifespan (i.e., they could be immortal).[4]

Cassin

Reaction score
brilliant movie was ahead of its time.

Its interesting reading all the point of views as to why it failed in the theaters.

IMO it seems to mainly be poor marketing and over saturation of Harrison Ford.

[youtube:3o1546t3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNxNqvpaat0[/youtube:3o1546t3]

oh and yes I do think he was.