Biotin

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I went to my derm last night and one of the questions I had were what is good for thickening and her immediate answer was Biotin. She said it's a pill that you take once daily and over time, it adds health, volume and thickness to your hair. Anybody have any experience with Biotin? Does it work? This is the first I've heard of it so I'm pretty clueless to it. Help me out because I'm thinking of getting some so I want to know if I should bother or not. Thanks.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
I've been taking biotin off and on since the late 70s - no help, no change in my hair as far as I can see. It's probably a good thing to add to your list of vitamins and minerals - but is no miracle cure for me anyway.

jeffsss

Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
I've been taking biotin off and on since the late 70s - no help, no change in my hair as far as I can see. It's probably a good thing to add to your list of vitamins and minerals - but is no miracle cure for me anyway.

there will be when HM comes out!

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Topical Biotin:

Back in the late 80s I used a Biotin thickening shampoo and conditioner from GNC. Haven't seen it there in the last few years - but if you ever get the opportunity to try it out - give it a shot. It was a very nice shampoo.

Also, since this September - I've been rubbing polysorbate80 from puritan.com onto my scalp about 15 minutes prior to shampooing in the morning. The poly80 already comes formulated w/ niacin and biotin, and I also squeeze in the juice from a few saw palmetto tabs just for the hell of it. Again - no miracle cure - but it's inexpensive, doesn't mess up my hair because I shampoo it right out - and doesn't appear to be hurting anything. I hit a 3 for 1 deal at puritan.com on the poly and the SP - so I'm good for at least 1 year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Monday Morning Post Script)

Speaking of puritan.com and biotin shampoo - I was price checking over at puritan later on Sunday afternoon and discovered that they carry a biotin shampoo. Looks good. Might give it a shot someday when it's time to change to a new everyday shampoo (2 bottles for $6.95)

http://www.puritan.com/pages/file.asp?x ... D=443&np=1

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have any thoughts on the Biotin shampoo from Puritan's website? It looks like it's really good and really cheap...

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
sublime said:
hair transplant - You really have tried almost everything.

Yea - unfortunately I've been at this for awhile. :hairy:

Felk

Reaction score
What did your derm say the normal daily dose of biotin was?

I think mine is 300mcg but im wondering if its enough... especially because im biotin defficient... some peopel here ahve 1000mg written in the sig, which is sooooo much more....

haymes

Reaction score
I am using 2000mcg Biotin per day. Also, 2 saw palmetto, twice a day, Fish Oil 3 times day, Glucosamine twice a day, Garlic pill once a day, 1000mg Ester C, Multivitamin without iron, Grape Seed Extract twice a day, minoxidil 5 percent twice topically, Revivogen once at night topical, American Crew Revitalizer spray once a day.

haymes

Reaction score
I believe those specs are correct. 300 mcg, because multivitamins give around 30mcg, and they believe you will receive additional levels from food. However, I take 2000mcg per day, but the onus is on us to make sure it doesn't cause harm. I researched some of the supplements I take and found that they are not damaging in the quantities I take. I listened to an MD that is well versed in supplements on his radio show, and he stated that 3000 of Biotin a day was OK. However, don't take my word on it. Do the research.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
haymes said:
I believe those specs are correct. 300 mcg, because multivitamins give around 30mcg, and they believe you will receive additional levels from food. However, I take 2000mcg per day, but the onus is on us to make sure it doesn't cause harm. I researched some of the supplements I take and found that they are not damaging in the quantities I take. I listened to an MD that is well versed in supplements on his radio show, and he stated that 3000 of Biotin a day was OK. However, don't take my word on it. Do the research.

I ran out of my biotin supplements a month ago or so. I believe my last bottle was Rite-Aid brabd, 300mcg.

I just ordered a bottle of 100 capsules, 1000mcg from Doctor's Trust, for $2.98

haymes

Reaction score
Sounds good. I go to Wallgreens and always find a great deal on the supplements. I recently got Nature's Bounty Biotin 1000mcg, and also they had the 5000mcg available, buy one get one free!