Biggest propecia study ever conducted

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dr Sato conducted a large sample size study (3177 men) with some interesting results.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/downloads/Sato_Finasteride_3177Patients_2011.pdf

Adverse side effects occur in only 07% of men (23 out of 3177 men), 7 of whom discontinued treatment, 16 of which decided the benefits outweighed the drawbacks.

Patients with advanced hair loss experienced significant hair regrowth.

There was no real difference in the response between older and younger patients, age doe not appear to be a big factor.

Now I'm aware this is over a year old, and some people may already be aware of this study, and I'm also aware that this is a study in Japanese men, and the response may be different in men of other ethnicities, but still, this is quite an interesting study I think!

maher

Banned
Reaction score
irrelevant. The study is done on Asian men. it does not apply on caucasian men.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not irrelevant to caucasian men. Although the frequency of certain alleles may differ among different races, the genes responsible are most likely identical, and the mechanism for action of the drug is the same. There are other factors obviously, perhaps asian men have a lower frequency of high AR sensitivity to DHT, or maybe they are less susceptible to adverse side effects of lower DHT/higher Testosterone caused by finasteride. It's a mystery, and although we cannot definitively claim that results would be the same had the study been done on caucasian, African, Indian or any other ethinicity, there is no reason to believe that the results would be radically different.

maher

Banned
Reaction score
It's not irrelevant to caucasian men. Although the frequency of certain alleles may differ among different races, the genes responsible are most likely identical, and the mechanism for action of the drug is the same. There are other factors obviously, perhaps asian men have a lower frequency of high AR sensitivity to DHT, or maybe they are less susceptible to adverse side effects of lower DHT/higher Testosterone caused by finasteride. It's a mystery, and although we cannot definitively claim that results would be the same had the study been done on caucasian, African, Indian or any other ethinicity, there is no reason to believe that the results would be radically different.

Wrong, wrong wrong! Its a whole different animal. But whatever helps you through the night. If Merck said that 3.8 percent propecia patients had one or more adverse sexual experiences... then in reality its more like 10-20%. And thats just a sex. sides.

anyway regarding asian dudes.. its been discussed before:

http://www.asiaandro.com/archive/1008-682X/2/13.htm

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yes propecia works well. Now can we finally get a topical AA to do it without all the unknowns of altering hormones for decades? We need more powerful topical AAs because we know its the best way to stop male pattern baldness

Thor9

Established Member
Reaction score
So much conflicting information out there about finasteride. A study like this will make you think it is safe to take but a quick search about post finasteride syndrome will make you think otherwise. It's hard to draw a conclusion.

bboy4

Reaction score
I'm instantly suspicious of any study more favourable than Merck's own. And considering the flat rate response of Finasteride and given sexual related side effects can come in as high as 20% I just don't think this study can be credible. I'm also quite doubtful of the claimed efficacy of finasteride, given what we now know about DHT being locally metabolised. This will all be irrelevant once we have a good locally acting topical AA anyway. There's no way lowering serum DHT can compete with that.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Why is it sometimes I find propecia to be a perfectly safe drug that I'd be fool not to get on but then I read about people being ****ing impotent from taking the drug or having zero libido after taking the drug for years after. Just watched a video of a grown *** man tearing up over how I wished he had never took the man and referring to his penis as just a flab of meat that didn't do anything and has never recovered.

Honestly what is with guys and how they react to this crazy drug...like is it how are bodies use DHT?

Honestly unbelievable

Diffuser44

Banned
Reaction score
Why is it sometimes I find propecia to be a perfectly safe drug that I'd be fool not to get on but then I read about people being ****ing impotent from taking the drug or having zero libido after taking the drug for years after. Just watched a video of a grown *** man tearing up over how I wished he had never took the man and referring to his penis as just a flab of meat that didn't do anything and has never recovered.

Honestly what is with guys and how they react to this crazy drug...like is it how are bodies use DHT?

Honestly unbelievable

The Pfs foundation is trying to figure out if there is a genetic predisposition. However you have to pay for all of the medical testing yourself and give them a small 5 mm biopsy of your foreskin. Being circumcised myself there is now way in hell i would do that.

- - - Updated - - -

I've noticed the propecia help people by into all of the Internet fad gimmicks. Candida, fasting, etc. I think the majority of them are just paranoid Internet hypochondriacs.