"big 3" 3 Years Of Battle Advise Pls

growssj3

Established Member
Reaction score
I know I had a thread before, but I would love if you guys could give me an advise, since the situation changed a bit.

To make it short:
2013: noticed thinning in temples and front (Norwood 2)
2014/2: started rogaine 5%, regrowth
2015/1: regrowth (Norwood 0.5)
2015/2: shedding began
2016: one year of horrible shed, added finasteride (dropped after 8 month) because of sides and no stop in hairloss
2017: I would say close to NW3 now, back on finasteride (3 Month)

All I can say. Its horrible to go from Norwood 0-1 to Norwood 3 in more or less a year.
I added finasteride to minoxidil again, because I just can't look in the mirror without doing sth. But It feels like dht inhibition is not the key in my baldness.

Currently I am really thinking about if I should do a hair transplant

Last edited:

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know I had a thread before, but I would love if you guys could give me an advise, since the situation changed a bit.

To make it short:
2013: noticed thinning in temples and front (Norwood 2)
2014/2: started rogaine 5%, regrowth
2015/1: regrowth (Norwood 0.5)
2015/2: shedding began
2016: one year of horrible shed, added finasteride (dropped after 8 month) because of sides and no stop in hairloss
2017: I would say close to NW3 now, back on finasteride (3 Month)

All I can say. Its horrible to go from Norwood 0-1 to Norwood 3 in more or less a year.
I added finasteride to minoxidil again, because I just can't look in the mirror without sides. But It feels like dht inhibition is not the key in my baldness.

Currently I am really thinking about if I should do a hair transplant

Post some pics, age, family hairloss etc

These things would help in determining if a transplant would be the right move for you

growssj3

Established Member
Reaction score
I am 30, so I noticed hairloss with maybe 25.

My father is 60 and is a solid NW3a. Unfortunately my grandpa (motherside) was Norwood 7, grandpa (dad) was Norwood 0-1. Tbh he had the best hair Ive ever seen.

Brother is 32 and is loosing like me front and diffuse but even worse.

First pic: my minoxidil peak (atleast 20% regrowth) 2015!
The other are from now: temples are 90% gone and the midpart of the front is very thin I would say like 50% gone.
In the other pic with wet hair you can see my diffuse thinning. But its very wet and with bright light, I have also a scar there which doesnt change the situation to the better.

Attachments

• IMG_5247.JPG
    IMG_5247.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_6004.JPG
    IMG_6004.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_6097.JPG
    IMG_6097.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 283

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am 30, so I noticed hairloss with maybe 25.

My father is 60 and is a solid NW3a. Unfortunately my grandpa (motherside) was Norwood 7, grandpa (dad) was Norwood 0-1. Tbh he had the best hair Ive ever seen.

Brother is 32 and is loosing like me front and diffuse but even worse.

First pic: my minoxidil peak (atleast 20% regrowth) 2015!
The other are from now: temples are 90% gone and the midpart of the front is very thin I would say like 50% gone.
In the other pic with wet hair you can see my diffuse thinning. But its very wet and with bright light, I have also a scar there which doesnt change the situation to the better.

Do you know at what age your grandfather's NW7 manifested itself? Need to find out if that's your destiny before planning a transplant.

Man if you're still losing ground on finasteride after a year you probably have mad aggressive loss and need dutasteride. Consider adding it 3x a week or as much as every day

growssj3

Established Member
Reaction score
Its hard to tell, but unfortunately quite early. My mom told me she does remember him only shaved. So In his thirties I think. My bro does not do anything against dht and I would say he is NW3a in his thirties. Does not look like that we are 100% similiar to my grandpa (motherside) but definitely got some bad genes from him.

Its hard to tell with finasteride. It does not work that well in the front, I took it 8 months then 5 month break and then back on it 3 month. I am not sure if I can stand the sides with dutasteride, its already hard on finasteride.

For me, who does know every hair on his head, it just feels like that I gained with minoxidil and then lost everythin from minoxidil. And Finasteride ... I just dont know

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
you stopped fina ? maybe if you retry fina , with minoxidil you will regain your hair

growssj3

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for comment.

Yes I stopped. But in the first 8 month finasteride did not stop my shed (which came maybe from minoxidil loss of effect).

As I said I also think about hair transplant filling in whole front

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You will regret this.

I dropped regimen for a restart. And from nw1.5 i jumped to nw3 in 3 months.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its hard to tell, but unfortunately quite early. My mom told me she does remember him only shaved. So In his thirties I think. My bro does not do anything against dht and I would say he is NW3a in his thirties. Does not look like that we are 100% similiar to my grandpa (motherside) but definitely got some bad genes from him.

Its hard to tell with finasteride. It does not work that well in the front, I took it 8 months then 5 month break and then back on it 3 month. I am not sure if I can stand the sides with dutasteride, its already hard on finasteride.

For me, who does know every hair on his head, it just feels like that I gained with minoxidil and then lost everythin from minoxidil. And Finasteride ... I just dont know

Should also be noted some people report getting sides on finasteride but not dutasteride...not sure how that makes sense but people on here have claimed it

I think if you hit a year of consistent finasteride use and you're still losing ground, your hair loss can be judged as very aggressive and in need of much stronger dht inhibition. At that point, depending on my side effect situation, I would add .5 mg dutasteride 3x week, as well as RU just to hedge my bets. Can go up to as much as 2.5mg dutasteride every day, but see first if you respond to a lower dose

Only you can judge how tolerable your sides are though, and whether or not it's worth it

growssj3

Established Member
Reaction score
You will regret this.

I dropped regimen for a restart. And from nw1.5 i jumped to nw3 in 3 months.

Im sorry, what exactly do you mean? So to make it clear I did a chart :)

Attachments

• IMG_6451.JPG
    IMG_6451.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 267

growssj3

Established Member
Reaction score
Should also be noted some people report getting sides on finasteride but not dutasteride...not sure how that makes sense but people on here have claimed it

I think if you hit a year of consistent finasteride use and you're still losing ground, your hair loss can be judged as very aggressive and in need of much stronger dht inhibition. At that point, depending on my side effect situation, I would add .5 mg dutasteride 3x week, as well as RU just to hedge my bets. Can go up to as much as 2.5mg dutasteride every day, but see first if you respond to a lower dose

Only you can judge how tolerable your sides are though, and whether or not it's worth it

Thanks man!
So you would judge again after 1y consistent finasteride? So in 8-9 month.

What about hair transplant? I would definitely go to an expert in belgium (maybe feriduni). Of course I wont quit finasteride and minoxidil. Only when sides would be to much, but then I would add RU or S5 or anything else

Last edited:

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks man!
So you would judge again after 1y consistent finasteride? So in 8-9 month.

What about hair transplant? I would definitely go to an expert in belgium (maybe feriduni). Of course I wont quit finasteride and minoxidil. Only when sides would be to much, but then I would add RU or S5 or anything else

Yeah I recommended giving finasteride a year, then reevaluating

As far as the transplant, you want to be pretty damn sure you're not going to be NW7 anytime soon before going that route, especially if you're uncertain about using finasteride/dutasteride in the long term, which it kind of sound like. I guess you could do some consultations with reliable surgeons and see what they say

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im sorry, what exactly do you mean? So to make it clear I did a chart :)

It's beautiful! ( The Chart).
Honestly, you were doing it exactly wrong. ;)

finasteride needs one year to show it s effectiveness in some people. If you keep shedding after month 14 and your status is much worse you can start worrying again.

Those medications are veeery slow, because they first have to change your hormone levels, then your body readjusts and then it slowly starts the healing process, meaning that you will start to maintain.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Admin

What is this sh*t again...spam scam bots pleague lol

growssj3

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The charts needs an Oscar

I quitted finasteride due to soft sides (lil brainfog, weight gain, no sexual sides). I mean I took it 8-9 month and nothing .. my hair was like, I dont care .

By the way, I did use RU in the meantime where I was off finasteride.

So in a nutshell. Continue finasteride and minoxidil (maybe add dutasteride) and talk with surgeon.
Any hints how I can find out If i go Norwood 7?
I mean im pretty damn sure my granpa looked much worse with 30.