Beware of the monstrous benzoic acid

frenchy

Established Member
Reaction score
Long time haven't shared something here, so here it is:
topical BENZOIC ACID -> synthesis of PGD2

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7712673

"Topical application of benzoic acid to four volunteers resulted in a 29- to 8000-fold increase in plasma levels of PGD2 and a 72- to 370-fold increase in levels of 9 alpha,11 beta-PGF2, the stable plasma metabolite of PGD2, in blood drawn from the antecubital vein draining the treated sites. In contrast, there were no changes in plasma levels of other vasodilating prostaglandins, PGE2 or prostacyclin (PGI2). Increases in levels of PGD2 and 9 alpha,11 beta-PGF2 were not found in blood drawn simultaneously from veins in the contralateral arm, indicating the increased biosynthesis of PGD2 from the site of benzoic acid application. Increased formation of PGD2 in response to topical application of benzoic acid was dose dependent over a concentration range of 0.01% to 15%. The increased synthesis of PGD2 was not accompanied by a release of histamine, suggesting that PGD2 was not derived from the mast cell."

no need to reming you guys why pgd2 is bad of hair
(but for those who forgot http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22440736)

So what's Benzoic acid
Benzoic acid is an ingredient that is common in many types of skin care products for his preservatives properties, pure or as its salt form sodium benzoate (not proven it increase pgd2 too tho)
it's found in numerous shampoo, such as :
0b5544f325d1c251b182605ecbec3a9c.png

no info on which extend it will worsen hairloss, but on the theory it looks bad :/

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing this out, I've looked the Neutrogena shampoos and is present in the from of a ester in:

T/GEL Therapeutic Shampoo - The one with coal tar.
T/GEL Sensitive - Aka T/SAL with Salicyclic acid.

I used the Therapeutic extensively in the past and for the past few weeks have been using the Sensitive version for the past few weeks. Luckily the Greasy version with Piroctone Olamine does not have it.

---

Scratch T/GEL Sensitive, it's okay, miss clicked :-o

Last edited:

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
What shampoo do you suggest Frenchy? It seems whatever we use is bad for hair regrowth.

frenchy

Established Member
Reaction score
What shampoo do you suggest Frenchy? It seems whatever we use is bad for hair regrowth.

yeah kinda stuck i have 1L of dercos neogenic..
i think ChiefJew advise "bain densite kerastase" it doesn't contains benzoic acid indeed, but it does contain its salt form benzoate sodium, like i said no info about this one but it probably has the same effect.
just use a soft shampoo with less chemicals imo.. and keto shampoo from time to time

- - - Updated - - -

ERRATUM: ChiefJew said "it was Swisstemple's suggestion",
here *** happy?

drgs_not_hugs

Reaction score
"It naturally occurs in berries and other fruits such as cranberries, prunes, plums, cloudberries.
As a preservative, you will find benzoic acid in beer, chewing gums, sweets, ice cream, jams, jellies, maraschino cherries and margarine. You will also find benzoic acid used in processed foods such as cheeses and meats."

distracted

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing this out, I've looked the Neutrogena shampoos and is present in the from of a ester in:

T/GEL Therapeutic Shampoo - The one with coal tar.
T/GEL Sensitive - Aka T/SAL with Salicyclic acid.

I used the Therapeutic extensively in the past and for the past few weeks have been using the Sensitive version for the past few weeks. Luckily the Greasy version with Piroctone Olamine does not have it.

I use T/GEl Therapeutic Shampoo to control my psoriasis, and I don't see an ingredient called, 'a ester(??)'. Don't even know what that is, but just copying what you said. Here is the product I use and its list of ingredients.

http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Th...&qid=1455212713&sr=8-1&keywords=t-gel+shampoo

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
http://www.neutrogena.co.uk/product/therapeutic/neutrogena-tgel-therapeutic-shampoo

click on ingredients:

The active ingredient is: Neutar[SUP]TM[/SUP] Solubilised Coal Tar Extract 20 mg/ml (equivalent to 5mg/ml Coal Tar)
Other ingredients are: Macrogol lauryl ether (4), Sodium lauryl ether sulphate, Cocodiethanolamide, Cocamidopropyl betaine, Imidazolidinyl urea, Methyl parahydroxybenzoate (E218), Propyl parahydroxybenzoate (E216), Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric acid anhydrous, Perfume (contains esters of benzoic acid, benzyl benzoate and butylated hydroxytoluene (E321)), Sodium chloride and Purified water.

Part of the perfume.

distracted

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.neutrogena.co.uk/product/therapeutic/neutrogena-tgel-therapeutic-shampoo

click on ingredients:

The active ingredient is: Neutar[SUP]TM[/SUP] Solubilised Coal Tar Extract 20 mg/ml (equivalent to 5mg/ml Coal Tar)
Other ingredients are: Macrogol lauryl ether (4), Sodium lauryl ether sulphate, Cocodiethanolamide, Cocamidopropyl betaine, Imidazolidinyl urea, Methyl parahydroxybenzoate (E218), Propyl parahydroxybenzoate (E216), Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric acid anhydrous, Perfume (contains esters of benzoic acid, benzyl benzoate and butylated hydroxytoluene (E321)), Sodium chloride and Purified water.

Part of the perfume.

Wow thank you! And to think that all this time I was promoting PGD2 in my scalp. No more of that shampoo...

Anyone know of any shampoo that combats psoriasis that doesn't also promote PGD2? In any case having psoriasis > losing hair.

I was alternating between Nizoral and T-gel shampoo every night because I was still getting psoriasis with just Nizoral.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
So far of the 10% concentration of benzoic acid used in the cited study.....
Benzoic acid (10% in petrolatum) was applied to the forearms of healthy volunteers

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wow thank you! And to think that all this time I was promoting PGD2 in my scalp. No more of that shampoo...

Anyone know of any shampoo that combats psoriasis that doesn't also promote PGD2? In any case having psoriasis > losing hair.

I was alternating between Nizoral and T-gel shampoo every night because I was still getting psoriasis with just Nizoral.

Try T-Gel for greasy hair, I had/have seborrheic dertmatitis that presents itself mostly in winter, I used to use coal tar based shampoos that did help the inflammation but would cause massive flakes of shed skin. I switched because I was starting to lose hair and read about Piroctone Olamine but was apprehensive because of my SD, however as soon as I used it I no longer had the constant "pulling" sensation that I used to feel on my scalp which now feels relaxed with no horrible itching. I have to say over this past winter I can pretty much say it has cured my SD.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
For a fellow SD sufferer that's great information. Mine is year round sporadic symptoms accompanied by excessive scaling. Nasty.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Additionally if you use a PO based shampoo you don't need to use Nizoral as PO is just as good as Keto as an AA.

frenchy

Established Member
Reaction score
So far of the 10% concentration of benzoic acid used in the cited study.....
Benzoic acid (10% in petrolatum) was applied to the forearms of healthy volunteers

benzoic acid was dose dependent over a concentration range of 0.01% to 15%

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
What is PO based btw, petroleum oil?
Additionally if you use a PO based shampoo you don't need to use Nizoral as PO is just as good as Keto as an AA.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
benzoic acid was dose dependent over a concentration range of 0.01% to 15%

Hi frenchy;

In cosmetics the amount of preservatives, as benzoic acid, is less than 1%
In the study apearss this graph
http://imgur.com/SzPk1vD

BTW another Study from the same investigator.
"Release of markedly increased quantities of prostaglandin D, from the skin in vivo in humans following the application of sorbic acid."

- - - Updated - - -

I think he means piroctone olamine

+1

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi frenchy;

In cosmetics the amount of preservatives, as benzoic acid, is less than 1%
In the study apearss this graph
http://imgur.com/SzPk1vD

BTW another Study from the same investigator.
"Release of markedly increased quantities of prostaglandin D, from the skin in vivo in humans following the application of sorbic acid."

- - - Updated - - -

+1

The problem is that in the study a 0.01% concentration resulted in a 29 fold increase in PGD2, I don't know about you but I would not be comfortable with that kind of increase.

- - - Updated - - -

I think he means piroctone olamine

Yeap, as I can never remember how to spell it, PO just seamed easier :)